PDA

View Full Version : Question about barrel threads

gcollins
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys,
I hope that you all can help me again. This time I will tell you all what I am going to be doing with this rifle. I can't hunt so all my shooting is off a bench, so this rifle that I am going to build, will be a heavy bench rifle for my personal use, I can't shoot comp. so I just go out when I can and shot.
What I want to find out is, do I have any options on reciever selection?
Monday eve I bought a Lilija barrel and it is threaded for a 700 Rem action. I have nothing against the 700 action other than they are higher price and some of the others! A person can run across a Savage rifle every now and then for $200.00 or less. Same goes for the Mauser 98 action. Do I have any other ops.??
One more thing, what about the Rem 788 ??
I would be really great full for advice or where I might find advice.
Greg

357Mag
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
G-
Howdy !

IMHO - For best results ( w/ J-word bullets for example ) I would recommend the Savage
single-shot action. When yo usay " bench rifle", single-shot actions come to mind.

Remingtons are notorious for their need to be "trued", sleeved bolts, bushed firing pins; et all. If you had to go Remmie, the XP-100 has been the basis for many a fine bench gun.

The practice of sleeving ( Rem ) actions has sort of died out, as the new-wave of dedicated bench rest actions are all designed/manufactured to be stiff. The fatter sleeved rifle acitons also can limit ones' stock choices.

I was going to go w/ a sleeved XP-100 for my first full-tilt custom accuracy rifle. My riflesmith at the time was the reknowned Fred Sinclair. Fred urged me to $$$ a custom bench-rest grade action ( mid '70s ). I bought a Wichita WBR1375 SS action, and never looked back.

35yr later, I still have and am using that action, which has had various barrels/chamberings
screwed-on to it.

Fred's advice was timely and sound..... " Buy the best, and cry once ".

I've had the custom ( accuracy ) Mausers, Winnies, Ruger M-77s; et all. They just didn't /don't " get it" , for me.

Use of a single-shot Savage would also give you a rifle w/ " switch barrel" capability.

With regards,
357Mag

RayO
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Your Remington threaded Lilja barrel will not screw into any of the actions you mention.They all have differant thread patterns.If you want to use that barrel on the mentioned actions it will have to rethreaded and chambered.

gcollins
01-04-2012, 05:25 PM
You hit it on the head!! I looked at the Single Shot Savage action and loved it:-P
and that is the main reason I posted here. I just got threw watching a video on trueing Rem 700 actions. I want to use the Savage action but if it has to be cut off and re chambered it no longer becomes a barrel! I wish I could show you all the barrel but I don't have it yet and but the look's of the barrel, looks like you can't cut it off. I was in hopes that the Rem 700 would be bigger around so I could have it redone for the Savage action! Just so you know, no matter what action I end up with it will be a single shot anyway. If the 700 threads are way to small for the Savage action, why couldn't a man sleeve it?
I sure have a lot of DUMB QUESTION[smilie=b::killingpc[smilie=b::groner:[smilie=b:
G
Ray I wasn't leaving you out because everything you said I tried to word it as to say Yep:smile::smile:

nanuk
01-04-2012, 07:32 PM
NO dumb questions here....

only some dumb responses!

Like mine! :)

DCM
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Gcollins we can get ya plenty o dumb responses!

What caliber are you trying to do anywho?

gcollins
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
She be: 260 Ackley Improved. If I can get a action on the barrel she won't be very purdy because I want to do everything that I can. I am so bored and I think it makes it's worse that my back allow's me maybe a hour a day to play! They say that tomorrow will be Sunny and 64 degrees and maybe only a light brezze. So I took 20 mins today and decapped 20 - 243WSSM cases for tomorrow and man I am paying for it right now!!!! My plans are to do my loading at the range, not all the loading, I am going to do my ladder test with just seating the bullets just so they will stay in the case, I bought a like brand new Lee O press from a member on here and will C clamp it to my shooting bench and do my depth seating at the range.
Latter.
G