PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Orange Magic

Ray1946
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I have been looking thru many of the posts on here recently and many people were alluding to the price of Lyman Orange Magic lube as being about $5.00-6.00 a tube. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the other day I was on the Mid-South shooters supply site looking for a particular mold and happened to see the Lyman Orange Magic for $3.69 a tube, which I thought was a pretty good price..............................

Maven
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't do anything that Lar's BAC and his other lubes do nor is it better than Felix Lube.

Tom W.
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, you can buy all that I'm not going to buy. I tried it once and just wasn't pleased. Not that I'm anyone special, but I do prefer Lar's Carnauba Red..for all of my cast boolits.

williamwaco
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
For over 50 years. I have used nothing but 50/50 beeswax/alox. I never tried anything else because it never failed me. I never even wondered about anything else. About six months ago I decided to try Orange Magic to cut down on smoke and smell. ( After all these years, I still hate the smell of alox. ) It did both and seems to be a good lube for handgun bullets. I have not tried it in rifles. I will not use any more of it though because it requires a heater.

357maximum
01-05-2012, 12:19 PM
The biggest issue with orange magic is that I could never find the wick so that I could light the durn candle. [smilie=s:

If lyman would put a little petroleum jelly, slack wax or super soft micro wax in with their lemon verbena scented candle it would be alot better lube IMHO. Although I have successfully fixed OM into a pretty darn good lube using nothing more than dollar store vaseline: Making your own , buying from Lar45 or another vendor here makes alot more sense than paying $toopid prices for a lube that needs fixed.

Maven
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
"The biggest issue with orange magic is that I could never find the wick so that I could light the durn candle."

That's an excellent description of it!

Pigslayer
01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Been using SPG in my .45 Colt and it works fine. Gonna try it in my Mosin as soon as I get my much anticipated mold from Accurate. Can't wait to get it!!!

wallenba
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I once thought that OM was the cat's pajamas. Then I tried Carnuba Red from White Label. I've never found anything better than Carnuba Red.

Reload3006
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
since I have two sizers one a 45 and the other a 4500 with heater I would really like to get a recipe for a good hard lube now. I use Lithi-bee in my 45 with great sucess. But would like a very hard lube for my 4500. If not Orange Majic candles then what?

Roundnoser
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
since I have two sizers one a 45 and the other a 4500 with heater I would really like to get a recipe for a good hard lube now. I use Lithi-bee in my 45 with great sucess. But would like a very hard lube for my 4500. If not Orange Majic candles then what?

There is Jakes Purple Ceresin, Jakes Ceresin Molly, Commercial grade Carnuba Red, and Magma Engineering lube to name a few. All of them cost about 2 bucks a stick (solid or hollow).

357maximum
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Take plain ol beeswax and add just enough vaseline to it until you are happy. Record recipe/make it/test it/repeat until you are happy. A 4 to 1 BW/vaseline mix by weight will make a hard lube that is still manageable. It will have some issues at uuber high velocity, but will make a dandy handgun lube.

You can add some red color (red+yellow=orange) and some lemon verbena essential oil and you will be very close your own orange colored magic. This could be done for about $4-$5 per pound which is about 7or so commercial sized sticks of lube.

Or you could get the commercial version of carnauba red if Lar45 still lists it iffin you want to buy instead of make.

Lizard333
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I ran about 10 sticks of it through my sizer when I first started out. Didn't mind having to heat it slightly as I have a 4500 with a heater. The price is what got me to quit. I went to carnuba red and never went back. The orange magic never gaver me issues. I used it in pistol and in rifle, up to 2100 fps and never gave me issues. Smells good too. Way better than Alox/Beeswax.

Ray1946
01-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much for all of your inputs. I am planning on casting some slugs for a couple old Luger pistols and am not planning more than maybe a couple thousand a year. I bought my Orange Magic "on sale" a few years back for a real low price and I am not planning to make my own custom lube.

One thing I may fool with is perhaps some form of bonded spray lubricant applied to the bullets before they are run thru the lubrisizor. I fooled with this a little bit back in the 80's with bullets for a rifle and it seemed good results.............................