PDA

View Full Version : Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost as Good as the Mosin!

Josh Smith
01-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Hello,

I got it in my head a couple months back that I wanted a Mauser. I went to a few gunstores and they all wanted around $400 to $600 for one. Nope. All had bent bolt handles, too, and I wanted a straight one, being a lefty and all.

So I saw this thing in my favorite gunstore. Said "Amberg 88" or some danged thing on it. It had been sitting there for the better part of the year.

The gunstore owner said he wanted to see it gone, and he'd make me a deal. It had rust in the bore but looked OK overall.

I called up a friend who knows some about these things, told me some of what to check for. I told the gunstore owner that I'd have to come back for it after doing some research as I didn't know if it would be a wall hanger or a shooter, though I do like a project.

He told me that I know how he dislikes old milsurps. I know... too much research to find their value. He also knows how I like a project and to make an offer. I told him I didn't feel right doing so because I'd likely insult him.

He said he was thinking 50 bucks.

Not to pass up a deal, I came back with "How about 25?"

"40."

"30."

"35."

"Sold!" says I. $37.50 out the door.

I got it home and pulled it apart. One dent, very little surface rust -- just one spot on what appeared to be a hood on the barrel. The barrel was pristine under that hood. I had been afraid maybe it was rusted through.

Happily, it was not.

I was pushing what looked like mud out of the barrel, and after liberal amounts of Fluid Film and bore brushes wrapped in steel wool, it started to shine.

Not the best bore I've ever seen, but far from the worst. I've seen worse bores on Mosin-Nagants shoot well.

Here are some pics:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00129-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00137.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00132.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00141.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00140.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00139.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00138.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/DSC00146.jpg

More Here! (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/G88/)

With shooting, the bore is cleaning up. It shines now and there are only a couple dark spots in it that look like rust.

I'm still trying to decide for certain whether it's indeed redone for 0.323" bullets. It does have the "S" mark which means the chamber and leade were redone but the barrel was left as-was. Supposedly it can take either ammo, and I'm getting a little over an inch at 50 yards and 0.318" bullets.

It's showing low pressure signs, though, and the neck is blowing way up when I fire. I'm overworking my shells' necks. This coming week I'll try some 0.323" bullets lightly loaded in it -- they are on order. (As I'm given to understand, gas erosion was a problem with the 0.318" bullets and the 0.323" bullets were made to seal better. Dangerous to shoot in unmodified, non-"S" chambers).

This rifle originally saw action in a Bavarian reserve regiment before being shipped to Turkey for WWI (and you know it had 0.323" ammo shot through it there!).

This is, in my opinion, almost the perfect rifle. The sights are precise and the barrel (mine is reenforced) is floated for all intents and purposes by using that sleeve.

I would really only change the bolt. The lugs are a bit weak, and really should have a third. It's already been modified to 88/05 standards.

It kicks hard, in prone. I'm not willing to put a recoil pad on it, though, as length-of-pull is perfect for me. Might end up investing in a P.A.S.T. pad as I have a bruised collarbone after five shots prone with 200grn bullets. I'm not a recoil wuss and do this regularly with the Mosin-Nagant, but this rifle is a bit lighter!

The tall Mauser sight blank from Brownell's worked perfectly, and now it shoots POA.

So, you-all reckon I made out OK for $37.50? :eek: :D

Regards,

Josh

bandit7.5
01-04-2012, 04:45 AM
any day of the week any where .37.50 is an excellent buy on a commission rifle.

milsurp mike
01-04-2012, 07:42 AM
You stole it.I had one just like it.I never fired full house rounds.Always 25% reduced loads and never a problem.Enjoy it and if you want your money back double let me know.Mike

bruce drake
01-04-2012, 07:56 AM
I'll trade you a Turkish Model 1938 Mauser in 8mm that has a straight bolt handle for that 88/05 Commission Rifle if you are looking for a more modern Model 98 with a straight bolt.

Bruce

loosenuts57
01-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Nice pics of your new toy! I don't own one, but they are quite unique, aren't they?
Nice find and at a great price.

Dutch4122
01-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Joshua-

A friend has one of these Turked '88 Commission rifles. The bore slugged .318" like yours; but the chamber had been reamed for the .323" round. These guns are basically a "squeeze-bore" and ideal for cast boolits. I gave him some plinking loads with a Group Buy C326-175-FN (ACWW) sized .325" and seated over 15 grains of Unique. The gun is scary accurate with that load & no pressure problems.

Now he has the mold to go with the gun.:mrgreen:

adrians
01-04-2012, 08:17 AM
you should be arrested for daylight robbery.
:twisted:[smilie=1::evil:

Bret4207
01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Good on you Joshua! To me that rifle looks like a prime candidate for reduced cast loads. Much less recoil, easier of the rifle, easier on you. I have a 91 Argentine that is similar in shape and find that those rifles hang very nicely for me. They grow on you!

Fishman
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Hmmm. That rifle is certainly cool. I have one and wouldn't trade it for any mosin, not even a Finn. I paid a bit more for mine. Love all the proofs on the receiver!

WILCO
01-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Good on you Joshua!

Ditto for me!

Old Iron Sights
01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
$37.50???

I paid $180 shipped for my 1890 steyr commission 88 and thought I got a decent deal. It's unmodified though. Wow.

I agree on using only cast bullets in these. That gun had paid it's dues. Go easy on the old gal.

izzyjoe
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
i have the very same rifle, but mine is a Danzig. i love it, but i almost did a foolish thing. i took it to a gunshow last year, had a few folks ask about it, but nobody wanted an old milsurp rifle. so after a few hours i took it back to the truck. a friend that went to the show me asked if i had sold it, i told him i had decided to keep it. the very next day went out shootin' and i brought it, and some cast loads for it. the first time he shot it he could'nt believe the 1" group that he shot at 50yds. he said why would want to sell this rifle it's very accurate. i just grined and said, Exactlly!! :D you did very good, and i'm sure you'll love it!

Hamish
01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Does anyone else hear a sucking sound??

@(:^]#>::

RugerFan
01-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Wow...nice score!

wellfedirishman
01-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Wow, that is an awesome deal. I have been looking at those too. Very nice.

Buckshot
01-05-2012, 03:52 AM
..............That was a steal for the price. You're lucky the rifle had it's rear sight ladder and elevator. Lot's of those lend lease Turks had them missing for some reason. Mine had the ladder (marked in Turkish) but no elevator. I ditched the ladder and substituted a ladder & elevator from a '03 Springfield. A minor bit of filing and it fit like a champ.

http://www.fototime.com/CDBFBF007F1D86B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/6CF8A6276D674E3/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/F3635672BAE1CAA/standard.jpg

I also have this 1888 that's had the full Turkish re-work. I believe it's called (officially or not) an M88/35 since the Turkish gubmit began the project in 1935? Anyway it's had all the German updates and now wears a Turk barrel sans jacket. It has a superb barrel and it's a shooting essobee. It weighs a BUNCH. I paid $75 for it 5-6 years ago. I laugh thinking of some poor 5'4" Turkish trooper humping this thing all over the place with the rest of his gear.
My plans for the other M88 is to maybe rebarrel it to 7x57 in a Mannlicher type stock.

..................Buckshot

Hamish
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
"Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost as Good as the Mosin!"

" Better Than the Mauser"

Just Now Caught That. Intersting choice of words.

adrians
01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
"Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost as Good as the Mosin!"

" Better Than the Mauser"

Just Now Caught That. Intersting choice of words.

i agree ,, .
i own a steyr 1894 commish (no "S"---j bore.) and an all matching kar88 both are very accurate and i love em both but "better than a mauser", which i own several.
er i 'm not so sure,, tough to say.... :twisted:[smilie=1::evil:

Josh Smith
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Yep. Except for the lockup, which is a bit weaker, everything seems superior.

Floated/sleeved barrel. How often do you get that in a military rifle?

Pillar bedding, also stock.

Effective cartridge.

Excellent workmanship.

Just can't think of any other rifle that has all that!

Regards,

Josh

Hamish
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I had to laugh, my last post was a leg puller my friend. I like all my guns, but I *love* the old bolt guns!

Beutiful piece of history, now go do penance at the lead pot for stealing that sucker!!

@(:^]#>:::

adrians
01-18-2012, 08:47 AM
yup i'm with Hamish,, i love my two dearly and would never let them go and sooooo much fun to shoot to boot....
enjoy,, but i still think you should be locked up for robbery :mrgreen:

adrian..:twisted::drinks::twisted:

Josh Smith
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi Guys,

Been thinking about what I'd let it go for...

Only a quality, full-length AR. No optics, just the stock iron sights. I'd have to have a rail in case I wanted to mess with it, though.

This is only because I've never had an AR. I've used them, and was soured on them, but figure they're about as good for coyotes as this thing is. Coyotes, rabbits, squirrel, the occasional raccoon, but nothing bigger.

Would save on powder and ball and would become useless in a SHTF scenario if I couldn't service the gas system.

Would be harder to just hand it off to somebody who's not already trained and show them how it works, too.

On the other hand, if someone wanted to trade me an AR, they might have to offer me some cash, too... ;)

Regards,

Josh

bruce drake
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Josh,

Sorry to hear you are starting to be bored with the old girl.

My offer of trading a 1938 Turk Mauser (A 98 Series Mauser) in 8mm still stands. You can take the rifle into your local gunsmith and have it rebarreled and scoped for a different caliber if 8mm isn't your preferred caliber. I rebarreled another Turk Mauser into 308 Winchester and I use it regularly for long range (1000yard) NRA matches.

I highly doubt you'll find a trade for an AR15 for the 88 Commission Rifle in your favor. Most ARs are running from $650 (homebuilt from parts) up to $1200 (or higher) in commercial built rifles. I've built two and bought another just recently so I can let you know the price estimates are current.

Then again, have you ever seen what an 8mm Mauser does to a Coyote? Almost guaranteed to be a DRT if you hit the sucker in the breadbox...

Bruce

Josh Smith
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi Bruce,

Yes Sir, I was being facetious. Point was that it will take a lot to get the thing away from me! :D

In fact, I'm ready to work up new loads for it. I have my old 0.318" bullets for sale over on GB because I want to take advantage of that S chamber with 0.323" bullets.

Bet it's precise as all get-out with them.

Regards,

Josh

legend
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Nice pics !

you might take the man a plate of cookies,then he will remember you the next time he feels the need to just get rid of something.look at it this way,he paid you to take it .....kinda.....

VERY NICE!