PDA

View Full Version : keeping cases from tarnish

edsmith
01-04-2012, 03:52 AM
after tumbling cases with ss pins and rinsing brass in water, what would be a good rinse to keep it from tarnishing? no, I don't want to tumble in dry media to coat it. was wondering what lquid protector I could use. thanks guys

rasto
01-04-2012, 04:29 AM
If I were you and have the problem, I would lube them.
You need to lube them before resizing after all.

7of7
01-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I was concerned with the same thing.. so, I just started giving them a dunk in ZipWax carwash.. and then rinse... I figure it puts a thin layer of protection on a car finish, it should do the same with brass.

Bwana
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I was concerned with the same thing.. so, I just started giving them a dunk in ZipWax carwash.. and then rinse... I figure it puts a thin layer of protection on a car finish, it should do the same with brass.

Regarding ZipWax; that, and Bar Keepers Friend, are what I add to my walnut media. After tumbling I dump the brass on a towel and remove any dust and then place into gallon ziploc bags. My brass doesn't tarnish. Some of that is probably due to the ZipWax and the other to being sealed in a bag. I have some in odd calibers that have been bagged a long time (years) and so some tarnishing has occured. Your mileage may vary.

Char-Gar
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
When I started loading, case tumbler and such were not around. We just wiped off our cases to get rid of any grit and loaded. You could tell a handloader because his rounds were black with tarnish. It was the badge of an expert. The blacker the case, the more it had been loaded.

Times they are a changin.....

rsrocket1
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Doesn't citric acid passivate the brass? People who do ultrasonic cleaning use Lemi Shine or a teaspoon of citric acid for cleaning and it doesn't eat the zinc like vinegar. You might want to research that.

Then again, you could also hide the vibratory tumbler in the closet and run it with NuFinish. No one else will know and we won't tell anyone either. Add a couple of cut up used dryer sheets and you won't tip your hand. :D

Ickisrulz
01-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Maybe an airtight enclosure filled with an inert gas?:bigsmyl2: