PDA

View Full Version : BP makers, need advice

Bosshaug
01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I recently aquired about 10 pounds of granulated charcoal from an unused medical gas filter. The granules are about one sixteenth to one eighth inch in size. Could I use this to make black powder?
Thanks

Boz330
01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
You could but without knowing what kind of wood it came from it may be a waste of time. Making charcoal is a little time consuming but not all that hard. Just get something you know will work and make it. A little goes a long way. I'm still working from a batch of willow I cut in 15 minutes last summer. Didn't look like all that much but it is very light weight.

Bob

Fly
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree with Bob.Charcoal is the back bone of powder.Only use wood you know
will make fast powder.Willow, eastern cedar,Silver Maple & Cotton wood are just
a few of the good ones.No, oak or hickery there great for cooking but slow for powder.

Fly

Bosshaug
01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your advise, I presume that weeping or ball willow will work?

Fly
01-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Yes but black willow is perfered but yes there all good.Cedar chips from Home Depot
work very well also.
Fly

Boz330
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I stopped along the road and just cut my willow. It was not black willow. I looked it up but don't remember the name but it worked just fine. Probably more wrong with my process than the charcoal.

There are some numbers in the BP making thread last couple pages if you are interested in that side of it. They are not comprehensive by any means but give an idea of what is possible. My goal was to come up with a powder that would shoot minute of deer and it did that and more in both ML and cartridge rifle. Did it shoot as good as my Swiss competition loads, no, but even at 300yds it shot better than 50%.[smilie=w:

Bob