PDA

View Full Version : little help understanding please

kweidner
01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
been working on this awhile. thought i had it solved but I finally understand what no lead means with a recent try of trailboss.

noe 429421 hp acww drops .4335 at 233 grains bhn 9 sized .4314
gun is ruger sbh 4 3/4 44 mag

firelapped and slugged .4292 bbl
throats .4304 to .4306

felix lubed bullets

shoots accurate with 2400, unique, trailboss, all under 1.5 at 25yds

when using tb a recent thing (no and i mean zero lead 100 rounds 200 rounds zero)
770 fps over chrony and if i could do my part i believe it would go in same hole.

lube making it to end of bbl and a little lube build up on forcing cone but 0 lead with trailboss at 770 fps. i have shot umpteen million and can run dry patch and have shiny bore.

using unique, 2400, 4227 anything that goes past about 900 fps lead rears its ugly head down the rifling. i have checked for tight spots, fire lapped and can't feel anything. what do you guys think is going on? bore looks incredible when clean.

please help. i have put alot of time in this project and have an incredible plinking load but now i see what no lead means with tb load how do i get it with full pressure or even moderate loads?

sorry for the rather long post.
should mention i have tried water dropping with no change in leading

williamwaco
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
been working on this awhile. thought i had it solved but I finally understand what no lead means with a recent try of trailboss.

throats .4304 to .4306

felix lubed bullets

when using tb a recent thing (no and i mean zero lead 100 rounds 200 rounds zero)
770 fps over chrony and if i could do my part i believe it would go in same hole.

lube making it to end of bbl and a little lube build up on forcing cone but 0 lead with trailboss at 770 fps. i have shot umpteen million and can run dry patch and have shiny bore.

using unique, 2400, 4227 anything that goes past about 900 fps lead rears its ugly head down the rifling. i have checked for tight spots, fire lapped and can't feel anything. what do you guys think is going on? bore looks incredible when clean.

please help. i have put alot of time in this project and have an incredible plinking load but now i see what no lead means with tb load how do i get it with full pressure or even moderate loads?

sorry for the rather long post.
should mention i have tried water dropping with no change in leading

Water dropping should have no effect on leading one way or the other.

Do you get a lube star with the loads that lead?

If you don't, your lube is inadequate. I would be very surprised if this is the problem.

If you do, try tumbling those bullets in Lee Liquid Alox or White Lable Rooster Lube. ( don't need to remove the existing lube)

Alternatively, push those same bullets to around 1300 and try again. Some commercial cast bullets with commercial lubes work fine for me at 800 fps in the .38 special, fail miserably in the 9mm at 1000, fail miserably in the .357 at 1100, and work fine in the .357 at 1300.

( Yes I know that is apples and oranges but try it anyway. )

I do not think sizing is the problem. Looks to me like you have that covered.

kweidner
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
can I take a 9bhn that high? I can certainly try it. looking for full house anyway. will run some up and see where we go. 19 gr of 2400 was running close to 1200 if IIRC will check my notes.

williamwaco
01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Sure you can.

The .44 mag was designed and created with an alloy of 20/1 lead tin. that is BNH 10.

If you are worried take it in steps. Jump to 1100, then 1200 and see if the leading stops.
If it doesn't stop by 1200 fps, you are on the wrong track. At that point I would try a different lube.

The lube you are using is fairly popular here, but I have never used it.
I am surprised nobody has chimed in here .

I started with Lyman 50/50 alox beeswax 60 years ago and it has NEVER failed me on any handgun or any rifle application. I am not going to try a custom formula until it does.

geargnasher
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I've shot boxes and boxes of 429421s through a Model 29 using 16:1 at 11 bhn, Felix lube, and medium book charges of 2400, very fast, very accurate.

I'm going to rule out "hardness" and lube.

I'm also going to rule out static fit (boolit size).

At 770fps with TB, I'm also going to rule out peak pressure as a cause, because it's up there with a load that does that.

I'll take your word for it on the condition and size of the cylinder throats and barrel being good.

The only things that changed to cause the leading are the pressure curves of the powders used and the velocity.

If you have leading and the bore/throats are in decent shape, you have a gas leak somewhere.

So, look at where the boolit is when peak pressure is occuring, and peak pressure is probably where the gas leaks are happening. With TB, peak pressure occurs before the boolit is clear of the case, so we can assume that the boolit is obturating the throats like it should and not blowing by. Unique peaks a bit later, but probably before the base is clear of the cylinder. The slower powders will peak pressure when the boolit is engraving, perhaps even after it's engraved and moving up the barrel.

What that tells me is that your gun doesn't like that boolit design with powders that peak pressure as the boolit is engraving. Probably what's happening is the boolit is skidding too much as it takes the rifling, causing trailing edge failure beyond a certain rate of acceleration.

This is more or less a SWAG, but I'd try a wide-flat-nose-style boolit, or at least round-flat-nose with a nose ogive that blends with the first driving band with no step. In other words, increase the bearing length of the boolit. Hopefully this will maintain obturation during the throat-to-barrel transition point, and give more bearing surface to engrave and reduce the skidding.

Gear

leadman
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Might want to pull one of your boolits and check the diameter. Might get sized down during the loading process.
If size is ok water quench some and load these after a few days and try them. My Old Model SBH likes a little harder boolit than what you are using. I can run 12 BHN to 1,200 with no problem with the 429421.

If that doesn't help invert a gas check and place it in the case mouth and then seat the boolit, pushing the gas check in with it. I do this if I get crazy and start looking for 1,400 fps.

kweidner
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Let me ask this as this.....l I have been thinking. My pulled bullet on last driving band is being sized slightly almost .001. other driving bands are correct. I shrugged this off at first being only one driving band and all the others are correct. The more I think about it the more I am begining to wonder if that could be the problem. You guys have always preached base is the most important. I actually just went and pulled my expander out and measured it :groner: .4245. ????? When neck sizing bushing dies with my long range stuff I usually go .001 to .002 under what shot demensions are. Will a .430 expander be too much and not get enough neck tension? Or do I need .428 or so? maybe I am over thinking this and not be a problem.....Where does one order a custom expander?

geargnasher
01-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Could be, but even if swaged .001" during seating, the boolit is STILL .002" larger than throat diameter. That swaging might affect accuracy a teeny bit, but I doubt it is causing your leading problem. Another thing you might try is sizing them .430", then heat treating them. Sometimes too big can be a problem.

Gear

FirstBrit
01-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Let me ask this as this.....l I have been thinking. My pulled bullet on last driving band is being sized slightly almost .001. other driving bands are correct. I shrugged this off at first being only one driving band and all the others are correct. The more I think about it the more I am begining to wonder if that could be the problem. You guys have always preached base is the most important. I actually just went and pulled my expander out and measured it :groner: .4245. ????? When neck sizing bushing dies with my long range stuff I usually go .001 to .002 under what shot demensions are. Will a .430 expander be too much and not get enough neck tension? Or do I need .428 or so? maybe I am over thinking this and not be a problem.....Where does one order a custom expander?

Hi, It might well be that the combination of small expander and relatiovely soft bullets (BHN 9) contribute to this problem. When you talk about "last band" I assume we are talking about the driving band on the base of the bullet and not the front end driving band. If you are sizing to 0.4315" and loosing about 0,001" on the bullet seating step then your base bands are very close the throat diiametrs of 0.4305". If I were you, the first thing I would do would to try unsized lubed bullets. ( either pan lube or use a larger sizing die 0.434/5" if available. ) If the leading still persists with this slightly oversize bullets then I think one could rule out bullet size.
Another issue could be your method of preparing the Felix Lube. Do you really have enough heat so that the mix smokes before adding the Ivory Soap. I find the lube is not so versatile if one tries to skimp on the heat.
I have heard and read that the barrel forcing cones on Ruger's can be bad news for cast bullets, due to over tightness of the barrels causing a restriction in the forcing cone. You say that the barrel has been fire lapped and cylinder throats lapped, but did you or the gunsmith look at the barrel forcing cone? I have no personal experience on Ruger revolvers and am only citing what I have read and heard via CBA publications and Cast Bullet List. I have no answer to why a restriction of this nature should not affect the TB loads but only the Unique and Alliant 2400 unless it has something to do with bullet position at P max as suggested by Gearnasher in an earlier post.
Let us know how this develops.

Best regards,

Adrian - Germany.

GSaltzman
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
One point not mentioned. You may also want to try an alloy mixed 50/50 ww/pb. My Lipsey's 44 special and my 45 Bisley both prefer 50/50. I have 50/50 water quenched that I will be trying in my Super Blackhawk soon. After getting a few molds from BRP and talking with Bruce about my guns he suggested this to me and it worked very well. They just would not shoot like I thought they should with straight ww. Good luck.

kweidner
01-04-2012, 09:42 AM
forcing cone is beautiful. I am about to try a couple of recommendations. First push some harder and see what happens. quick to do. I have been wanting to try 50/50 anyway. I will cast some up. What Gear says makes sense but I only have a lapped Lyman 429421 and new NOE hp 429421 so I will try a couple others before getting new mould. Have a frozen well this AM so killing some time anyway waiting for things to defrost. If these don't work i will handlube some unsized with Felix and try that. Probably going to order RCBS cowboy expander as it is supposedly .430 just for peace of mind and it is only $8.00. I'm just going to replace the one in my carbides that is so small. I sincerely appreciate and value all input. i do a ton of reading and very little posting unless I think I have exhausted my variables. Your input gives me something to try. Off to the loading room. Update coming.

44man
01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Gear has said good things.
I use 296 in my revolvers and I use water dropped boolits at 22 BHN.
I have shot 50-50, oven hardened 18 to 20 BHN but I need a gas check for any accuracy. With a check I just get a few fliers.
A lot has to do with where pressure peaks and skid. Boolit nose at the cone for cylinder alignment is very important.
The truth is I never got any semi wad cutter to shoot the way I like but the 429421 was decent.
Fooling with the RCBS semi wad cutter using different alloys had groups tighten a lot with 28 to 30 BHN boolits.
I do not believe in boolit expansion for obturation, the right size obturates just fine without help. I believe in maintaining boolit shape and stopping skid at the base band.
4227 is the WRONG powder for the .44 and as the gun heats, pressures and velocity rise very fast. 2400 is better. 296 is better yet. Use a standard primer like the Fed 150 or CCI 300 with all powders.
I just can not get soft lead to work and I do not think Elmer used lead and tin for the .44, he used hard lead too. He loved soft boolits but I have a hunch he used those for BP or slower guns.
Over 56 years with the revolver and I can't name a single time when soft lead shot good.
Now, the 265 gr RD boolit made for the Marlin, shot from my SBH using Felix lube, 22 gr of 296 and the Fed 150 primer at 50 and 100 yards. I hit low and shot higher for the last shot. It is center of tin can accurate all day at 100 yards. The boolit is water dropped WW metal at 22 BHN.

Larry Gibson
01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
+1 with williamwaco, it's probably the lube.........especially if home brewed. [please, no adverse remarks/posts/comments from home brewers. It's just that things can and do go wrong when we try things from directions on the internet. If done correctly Felix lube, like others, can work fine.] You won't know if it's the lube until you have a "control" or "reference" of known quality to judge it against with that bullet in that revolver.

Suggest trying the LLA or even hand lubing some with proven commercial lubes such as BAC, Javeliana, etc.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, so I will leave any tech comments to others. I would like to explore something that is not in the pistol and that is what is between the shooter's ears.

Could it be your expectations that are the real issue here? There is a big difference between a lead wash in the barrel and leading. A lead wash is something that does not effect accuracy and can be taken out with a dozen back and forth strokes with a good bronze brush.

A lead wash in nothing to be concerned about.. just go shooting and enjoy yourself. A lead build up that downgrades accuracy is indeed something to be concerned about. Which do you have?

geargnasher
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Good point, Char-Gar, perceptions and expectations can sure differ a lot between shooters.

If the "leading" doesn't accumulate much past what you get after the first two or three shots, and if you can shoot, say, two boxes without cleaning or losing any noticeable accuracy, then is it really a problem?

Larry, I can't leave that one alone. IME with the .44 Magnum, Beeswax and ANY kind of oily lube should be plenty good to prevent leading as much as ANY lube can prevent leading (NOT MUCH). He should be able to go to 1200 fps no problem with 9 BHN boolits and nothing more than beeswax and Vaseline for lube and have nothing left in the bore that a tight patch wouldn't wipe out. Lubes just don't do that much to stop leading by themselves, we have a pressure vs. obturation (boolit/bore seal) problem here, and I maintain that this particular boolit and gun combination don't get along well when pressure peaks after the boolit is out of the case.

I'll also second what 44Man has said, shortly after I joined this forum I sighed big and finally took his repeated advice to use very tough boolits, lots of slow powder, mild primers, and boolits with no reducing step at the base of the nose in revolvers. Wow what a difference! Trust me when I say my revolver groups went from 6-8" at 100 yards to 3-4", with ME being a major limiting factor there since I really can't shoot a scoped handgun very well. I gave the advice and shared the experience I did because the topic was leading, soft Keith boolits, and short ranges. Once you get your leading problem, if it's even a real problem, solved, then you might find that you need a gas check or much harder boolit to get the best accuracy you can. If you're happy shooting at 25 yards or less, you probably won't tell all that much difference on a target between a soft Keith boolit and a hard LBT boolit. But if you REALLY want to know what your load is doing, move over to the rifle range and see what it does at 100.

Gear

Char-Gar
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Gear... I am not a hard science kind of guy having spent my life working with humans and not things. Humans are much more difficult than things to deal with due to their quirks. Things pretty much follow physical rules, which I like.

Miscommunication is very, very easy even when we are trying as hard as we can not to do so. Often we create false expectations in others with our words. We don't intent to do, it but they hear something we don't intend to say. This business of leading is often misconstrued by new folks reading this board.

As to the lube issue, I am with you. I see no problems driving BHN 9 bullets 1,200 fps or more in a 44 Magnum. I have been doing it for many years. I also don't use a miracle lube, just beeswax and enough Vaseline to soften it for use in a Lyman 450 without heat. If I get serious accuracy degrading leading, it is a rough barrel or a bullet the wrong size. But a bullet that soft will slug up .002 in the cylinder throats by full snort 44 Mag. pressures.

With the OP the guy seems to be doing everything right and he has fire lapped his barrel which should smooth it out. This is what makes me lean toward perception rather than anything else.

kweidner
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I reslugged bbl and found an interesting phenomenon. Following some advice think it was Gears from another post, I ran slug to 1 inch in front of forcing cone, back out and ran another alll the way through. .4294 to .4295 in front of forcing cone, .4292 but one groove was .4287 when run all the way through bbl. Slugged again just to make sure. Same thing. hmmmm. OK... relapped. ran 9 with 220 grit and 3.5 grains of tb using the smear bbl and shoot loaded lubed boolit through. reslugged twice restriction is now .4290. ran 9 more lapping boolits, reslugged twice and restriction is now gone. .4294 to .4295 all the way through .bbl. I loaded up some hotter hp .429421 with 2400 (20 grains). First ran original tb load through chrony it picked up 75 fps ave over 12 shot string mid 850s now with zero lead??? OK moved to the 2400 ran 14 shots. 1295 fps ave , extreme spread 42 fps. lube pelted chrony, never had that happen. 1 inch groups 5,5, then 4 shot group. lead is not terrible. wash maybe? 5 swipes with choreboy and gone. Probably little hot near 1300 with 9bhn. gonna oven treat some and try again this weekend. While we are on subject, old keith load non hp with 2400 would hold 4 to 5 inches at 100 yds. could shoot 50 or so and no accuracy drop off. Had to scrub a bit to get all lead out. will keep you posted. certainly better but not as clean as tb load. maybe a little harder now?

Char-Gar
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
".4292 but one groove was .4287 when run all the way through bbl."

How do you measure one groove. You have to at least measure them in pairs to get a measurement. I have seen many Smith and Wesson barrels that were a tad oval, just a tad mind you.

kweidner
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
I guess i should have said from one groove to the other. it's actually 6 groove I am measuring 3 sets of two across boolit or largest outside dia. sorry about the confusion.

geargnasher
01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Ahhhhh, the old Ruger Thread Choke took you to school! Well I'm glad you found the source of the gas leak that was causing the worst of your leading it and fixed right. Doing the partial vs. total slug checks can be a pain, but it will tell you a lot more than a tight patch will about your barrel restrictions.

As to the "leading" that remains, just change one thing at a time from this point on. You may or may not be able to prevent it, and it may or may not cause you any problems whatsoever other than a couple swipes of the Chore Boy-wrapped brush before the usual cleaning. Antimony wash is a light, dusty-looking coating that generally isn't laid down in streaks, but more evenly and thinly throughout the bore. It's a factor with high velocity, high pressure loads using antimonial alloys sometimes, especially if they don't have enough tin. I can't tell you the times I've shot straight WW alloy or jacketed range scrap through guns and had the wash, then added one to two percent tin (depending on amount of antimony I suspect is present), and the same load shot much more clean after that. Tin and antimony combine in a lead solution to form an "intermetallic compound" known as Sb/Sn to metallurgists, and this compound acts as a single element. In effect, if tin and antimony are present in about the same amounts, the stick to each other and make the whole alloy tougher, stronger, and less likely to slough off antimony particles into the machining marks in the bore. Something to think about next time you cast some boolits, just keep your tin percentage less than your suspected antimony percentage because too much tin can present it's own fouling problems.

Gear

kweidner
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
I really appreciate all those that have given input. This community has always been just incredible to offer suggestions and advice. I usually can find my answers with a search or ten because chances are I am not alone in my issues. I think this was a specific and not generic issue. I certainly will let you guys know how it goes. lesson learned mic the entire circumfrence. don't stop at one set of grooves. They could be different.......now to find the magic load.......:-P

geargnasher
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, YOU figured out your specific issue, not us! All we did was offer general advice and suggestions based on what we've learned from our own shooting experiences. Now you know more about checking and correcting a dimensionally flawed revolver, and probably more other things than you wanted to while searching for the answers!

Gear

44man
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Gear and Char-gar say it good. It is true a little leading that shoots out with each boolit is just fine and what is left from the last shot will also be shot out with the next.
Leading has never been my issue and yes, I can shoot softer lead without it. But just what is accuracy? I refuse to think about leading at all, ONLY accuracy. I can not get what I want with soft lead even if a million shots can be taken without leading.
I had to go to my range to get bottles shot at 100 yards with my BFR .500 JRH and take a picture. This gun has not been cleaned since I bought it. I shoot water dropped WW lead. Every shot hit exactly to the red dot, I will not accept less. I suppose if I could see perfect and hold perfect, I could do 1/2" at 100 or less.
It is not just an issue with lead in the bore, it is what the gun can do so to think only leading is just not enough. So many posts about leading. It IS an issue but it can be cured but I will tell you that you can shoot lead from a revolver and shoot it like a rifle, even better then store bought jacketed.
I sure wish more would forget leading as the ONLY thing, it is just the start, accuracy can be amazing but soft lead might not lead your there.

geargnasher
01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Very true what you say, 44Man. The thing is, I can't tell from the posts without pictures (and most of them don't have pictures) whether they have what I think of as "Newbie leading" or just a case of antimony wash that affects nothing, or something in between. Newbie leading is when lead streaks so bad it soon starts to fill up the grooves, and comes out in long slivers and flakes when scrubbing it. This has to be fixed before the gun has any hope of shooting straight, that's why I go down that road. It's easy to get stuck on that road, though, and forget to take the on-ramp to the accuracy freeway.

Gear

Char-Gar
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I really appreciate all those that have given input. This community has always been just incredible to offer suggestions and advice. I usually can find my answers with a search or ten because chances are I am not alone in my issues. I think this was a specific and not generic issue. I certainly will let you guys know how it goes. lesson learned mic the entire circumfrence. don't stop at one set of grooves. They could be different.......now to find the magic load.......:-P

There is a finite number of mistakes than can be made shooting cast bullets. Between us we have made them all.

mpmarty
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

kweidner
01-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I guess you have a point. 19 gr 2400 with wcww out of my lapped 429421 shoots incredible. I guess I want my cake and eat it too. Never really affected accuracy. I love to tinker. I did the bench rest scene a bit. Went to long range shooting (still do a ton of that). During deer season when I'm not in the woods I play with cast. Can't shoot longrange in season cause range is in middle of lease. It's about time for the coyotes and then Turkeys. I play with these things in between hunts and seasons. Just love to shoot. Casting has helped me to afford my habit. Tinkering is cheap if you do it yourself. Your combined wisdom in this forum is more than i could have tinkered in a lifetime. 4th year casting so still a newb. Been shooting all my life and reloading 24 years.

geargnasher
01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Kweidner, your in good company here, your description of the way you approach this hobby fits many of us.

My "accuracy" load ended up being 19.5 grains of 2400 with .4315" 16:1 429421 hollow points and Federal LP primers. I never did a lot of workups with 296 with this particular gun (FIL's) because neither one of us enjoyed the recoil very much, it really isn't any fun to shoot at the near-max starting levels of that powder. Lighter loads built with 2400 and Unique are tough to beat IMO.

Gear

kweidner
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Got unique sitting next to powder dropper right now. gonna load some from 8 to 10 grains tomorrow and see what transpires. Had a friend today offer a pickup truck bed full of ww for fair market recycling price. Said he had a couple tons if he had to guess altogether. Indicated they have already been seperated from clip and sticky He has a huge car crushing business and has just been throwing them into two old pickup beds as they came in. Wow a couple tons.......keep your fingers crossed. what is fair market recycling price i wonder. He was going to check and see what recycler gave him last go round.....This could cause lots of tinkering!

44man
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Very true what you say, 44Man. The thing is, I can't tell from the posts without pictures (and most of them don't have pictures) whether they have what I think of as "Newbie leading" or just a case of antimony wash that affects nothing, or something in between. Newbie leading is when lead streaks so bad it soon starts to fill up the grooves, and comes out in long slivers and flakes when scrubbing it. This has to be fixed before the gun has any hope of shooting straight, that's why I go down that road. It's easy to get stuck on that road, though, and forget to take the on-ramp to the accuracy freeway.

Gear
I know, just a picture would help.
Bad leading needs addressed but I am not an expert at it. I fear saying softer or harder. Either can make it better or worse.
Sometimes I have no idea. Yes, I go crazy if I can't help and don't know where to go.

kweidner
01-06-2012, 06:59 AM
I will get some pictures this weekend when I shoot. Done cleaned her up. My OCD I guess. it's not a flaking lead, just a smear pretty much like a very fine grit sandpaper down the bore. It never really gets any worse. When I chore boy, there are little tiny flakes on frame and muzzle. six back and forth strokes and it's gone. I can shoot 2 cylinders or 10 the degree of lead stays the same. Not accuracy robbing, no fliers , velocity stays consistent, just there. Can feel it with a dry patch. It almost looks like lube but lead indeed. Faint Lube star on end of bbl, shiny silver deposits very thin in edge of grooves.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Gear

Larry, I can't leave that one alone. IME with the .44 Magnum, Beeswax and ANY kind of oily lube should be plenty good to prevent leading as much as ANY lube can prevent leading (NOT MUCH). He should be able to go to 1200 fps no problem with 9 BHN boolits and nothing more than beeswax and Vaseline for lube and have nothing left in the bore that a tight patch wouldn't wipe out. Lubes just don't do that much to stop leading by themselves, we have a pressure vs. obturation (boolit/bore seal) problem here, and I maintain that this particular boolit and gun combination don't get along well when pressure peaks after the boolit is out of the case.

You are correct; "Beeswax and ANY kind of oily lube should be plenty good to prevent leading as much as ANY lube can prevent leading (NOT MUCH)." The problem is "should", but some lubes manytimes don't, commercial and home made especially if the "leading" isn't leading (more later). IME with the .44 magnum goes back to '68 and I've shot a lot of different guns with different cast bullets of different alloys using different lubes since then. I've never lapped a revolver barrel, never found one that would lead with any alloy if the lube wasn't doing it's job with that particular bullet in that particular revolver even if there was some "barrel restriction".

I'm a great fan of Javelina lube for any alloy from 300 t0 2600+ fps in just about any cartridge. However, I also know that in a few applications in certain guns it does not do well. Those are far and few between though. I've also used several concoctions that were supposed to be the same formula as Javelina and they failed, most often with softer alloys at higher velocities. I also use my Beeswax/olive oil BP lub on many bullets of softer alloy than 9 BHN upwards of 1400+ fps with excellent results and no leading.

We might note that with numerous threads over the years about Felix lube it either is great or fails miserably. It is a home made lube and I've no doubt the failures come in the making of the lube. The OP may have done/tried everything as per the instructions or he may not have, intentionalally or inadvertently. The ingrediants used may not have been the same. There are numerous reasons for any possible/probable variation.

The problem the OP has is that the Felix lube being used works great with the faster powders at lower velocity but fails (leads) with slower powders (2400/4227 mentioned) when loaded higher to magnum level velocities. This is telling us that the lube is failing with those powders in that application. If the OP wants success with those powders in the 44 magnum at magnum level performance then a simple change to a lube that works in that application is called for. It is possible that there may be aonther problem but all indications are that there isn't and the problem is the lube fails in that application. A change to a lube that works in that application is the quickest and simplest way to find out and probably solve the problem.

If not the lube then the problem is more than likely the use of "acwws". The BHN of 9 doesn't address the content of the alloy. That alloy used (WWs) is probably high on antimony and very low on tin. As you have quoted the "metalurgy" articles in Lyman's Handbooks I'm sure you are aware that a certain amount of tin is needed to keep antimony in solution with lead as a ternary alloy. If not enough tin is present then the "leading" is really probably antimony being streaked down the barrel. The OP states "lead is not terrible. wash maybe?" and this is probably what it is. If the change of lube doesn't solve the "leading/wash" problem then the solution here is to add 1-2% tin to the alloy.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
kweidner

"it's not a flaking lead, just a smear pretty much like a very fine grit sandpaper down the bore. It never really gets any worse. When I chore boy, there are little tiny flakes on frame and muzzle. six back and forth strokes and it's gone. I can shoot 2 cylinders or 10 the degree of lead stays the same. Not accuracy robbing, no fliers , velocity stays consistent, just there. Can feel it with a dry patch. It almost looks like lube but lead indeed. Faint Lube star on end of bbl, shiny silver deposits very thin in edge of grooves

That is classic antimonal smearing, not "leading".

The lube is not preventing it (rather obvious deduction eh?). Swicth or at least test another lube or add 1-2% tin to your alloy or both. I shoot lots of ACWWs with 1-2% tin added over Keith's classic load or over H110 at 1350 - 1400+ fps out of several revolvers (many others over the years) with no leading and no antimonal wash, even after 50 - 200 rounds. Many. many others do the same. You can also push said same bullets/loads to 1550 - 1650+ fps out of Contenders and rifles with no leading or antimonal wash. Absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same with your revolver.

Larry Gibson

cbrick
01-06-2012, 12:01 PM
kweidner, re-read post #20 and #33, you can dramatically reduce an antimony wash by keeping the Sb/Sn as equal as practicle. No way to know exactly the Sb percentage but COWW is about 98+% of my handgun and rifle shooting and I automatically add 2% Sn every time I add ingots. WW should be about 2-3% Sb so adding 2% Sn should keep the two pretty close or at least close enough to equal.

If you don't have any solder to add you can order pure Sn from Roto Metals, just add 2% Sn by weight of the WW, besides a better filled out bullet it could go a long ways solving the Sb wash.

Rick

geargnasher
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Larry, there's two things lube has never fixed at my house, maybe yours, but not mine: Major gas leaks and antimony wash. I'm not discounting what you say about the variables in homade lube, but at 900 fps in a .44 magnum with Unique or 2400 EARWAX would be plenty to keep the boolits from leading.

Lube viscocity can be adjusted to handle small gas leaks at high velocity/pressure (this is why Darr lube makes lousy HV rifle lube) but a barrel restriction of seven ten-thousandths makes a gas leak after the boolit passes it that is more than any lube I know of can handle.

What I noticed was the change of powders didn't really change the pressures that much. Note the chronograph data with each powder, you can tell the pressures were reasonably close. What changed was the velocity and the pressure/time curve. Something about having higher pressure later in the burn cycle started causing leading. It might have only been the 200 fps gain in velocity causing it like you suggest, but I seriously doubt it. With TB, the pressure is falling off rapidly by the time the boolit starts engraving. Not so with 2400. Run it through your software and see what the pressures are vs. boolit location. I think the TB loads didn't lead because by the time the boolit base cleared the restriction in the first part of the barrel, the pressure wasn't high enough to cause significant gas-cutting. But with the much slower powders, the pressure was peaking at that point and causing gas cutting. No lube will fix this. I could be all wet here, but I don't think so. I've fixed way to many leading revolvers with with either a burn rate change or by firelapping to think that it's just a lube problem here. Back when my learning curve was steeper I thought lube had to be the solution to everything and tried to fix all my problems by finding a magic lube formula, but what I discovered is that there is no substitute for a good dynamic fit and balanced load. Lube does play an important role, but more in the accuracy and fouling department than in the leading department. Neither of us will know for sure if it was the lube since he fixed the barrel restriction, but there probably isn't any need to know since that seemed to fix most of the issue.

What's left after the firelapping I think we've established as primarily antimony wash. That little trick of adding tin to help reduce it in low-tin antimonial alloys like range scrap and WW metal is something I learned in no small part from your posts. I put two and two together after learning more about how the metals work together in the alloy, and with the metallurgical explanation added it made perfect sense. My experiences afterward proved it as far as I'm concerned.

Gear

Larry Gibson
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Gear

Here's what the OP posted;

throats .4304 to .4306

felix lubed bullets

His bullets are sized .4314 for a firelapped and slugged .4292 bbl with throats .4304 to .4306. You can't get anybetter "fit" than that and there's no room for "major gas leaks" and no need for "obturation". The "wash" is down the entire length of barrel and on the frame and muzzle. That is not from a bore constriction. It also is not from gas cutting because the bullets "fit". I have run those loads across my Oehler M35P chronograph and some across the Oehler M43 for psi measurement. Strangely I got no gas cutting, no anitmonal wash and no leading with .430 sized bullets in a .44 revovler with .433 cylinder throats and a .429 barre after thousands of rounds (I've had that revolver since '68)l. But then I was using WWs with tin added and Javelina lube. Come to think of it I've shot thousands of .429 sized WW+tin cast bullets and other alloys, harder and softer, through that revolver and many different other .44 revolvers (back in the day before we all went crazy over "fit" and heavier bullets) using loads from .44 SPL up through top end 2400, 4227 and H110 Magnum loads with the same accuracy and no leading that I get these days with cast bullets that "fit".

Funny, but I wonder how Keith, Jordan, Askins and Skelton among others all shot as well as they did with all of their .429/.430 sized cast bullets back in the day before all this "fit" was necessary for any accuracy at all?

The OP's Felix lube may be fine as I said but there's only one way to know; test it against a known lube of good proven performance with the loads he uses. If the antimonial goes away he will know it's the lube. However, I think now, after his last post, it is indeed antimonal wash and the addition of tin should cure the problem. If that does the trick he can melt his bullets down and add tin to his alloy and try that. Eliminating one variable at a time is the only way to know and really solve the problem. Obviously lapping the barrel to remove any restriction or other percieve abnormalities has not cured the problem. The smooth bore has apparently made it easier to clean out though. Would be better to eliminate the antimonal wash problem to begin with, I think we can agree on that.

That's all there is to say about it as it's up to the OP whether he wants to solve the problem and make it go away or put up with it.

Larry Gibson

FirstBrit
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
.......His bullets are sized .4314 for a firelapped and slugged .4292 bbl with throats .4304 to .4306. You can't get anybetter "fit" than that and there's no room for "major gas leaks" and no need for "obturation". The "wash" is down the entire length of barrel and on the frame and muzzle. That is not from a bore constriction. It also is not from gas cutting because the bullets "fit".
Larry Gibson

Hi Larry,

I think in the OP the dimensions referred to the cylinder throat and barrel not specifically the forcing cone of the barrel. When he re-slugged the barrel ( see Kweider posting #17) he found an anomally that across one particular pair of grooves diameter was only 0,4287". Whereupon he re-lapped - although he didn't specifically mention whether the forcing cone was treated seperately. But certainly the barrel was fire-lapped. He found that leading was less after this re-lapping and that there was also a gain in velocity. To me this would suggest that the gun had some sort of restriction ( forcin cone/bareel) which did actually cause a "gas leak". His re-lapping procedure reduced the restriction to such an extent that the leading became less with the problem powders and generally there was a slight increase in velocity making better utilization of the inherent energy in the powder charge.

Best regards,

Adrian - Germany.

kweidner
01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
This is awesome. I love it. I need to start posting more questions. I can learn more reading this post about proper fit/pressure curve/lubes than most would figure out on their own in a lifetime. I have often wondered about tin myself. I will try on my next batch. It is pretty hard to get perfect fill out on those HP moulds. Had a gentlemen that was supposed to bring me some 50/50 but i haven't seen it yet. It is just sitting on a shelf in his barn. I have about 400 pounds of soft stuff and was going to order some super hard next month to blend anyway. I will add some tin to the rotometals order. Course if I get those wheel weights from car crusher, I am going to get more than a little tin. I have no source locally for it. Checked the plumbing supply house. "They don't stock it but can order me a case for $13 a bar." Needless to say that ain't happening! I have scrounged locally for pewter as well. No luck there either. Next pretty large town over I was able to find some electrical solder at 60/40 I think but it had flux. Didn't know how that would affect the alloy so I passed. I can find plenty of silver in solder but darn hard to find non flux cored tin lead. Got that unique loaded. Am gonna let some fly tomorrow.

cbrick
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
There is a trick/secret to getting good HP fillout. Heat, not alloy but mold AND spud. They both simply need to be hot enough. The spud has far less mass than the mold and will cool far faster than you may think. Get it hot enough from the git go and keep the mold closed and full of lead as much as possible, cast quick and keep going. DO NOT inspect your bullets while your casting, that spud is cooling off. Plenty of time to admire them when your finished. I run my alloy temp up to about 720-730 degrees, no hotter. A HP spud that is too cool will never give well filled out cavities.

Tin will help prevent oxidation of the alloy going into your mold up to about 750 degrees, hotter than that and not only does the tin loose it's ability to reduce surface tension (oxidation) but tin itself will oxidize much faster. If your going to run your pot hotter than this there is no need to waste money on tin.

Rick

geargnasher
01-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Hi Larry,

I think in the OP the dimensions referred to the cylinder throat and barrel not specifically the forcing cone of the barrel. When he re-slugged the barrel ( see Kweider posting #17) he found an anomally that across one particular pair of grooves diameter was only 0,4287". Whereupon he re-lapped - although he didn't specifically mention whether the forcing cone was treated seperately. But certainly the barrel was fire-lapped. He found that leading was less after this re-lapping and that there was also a gain in velocity. To me this would suggest that the gun had some sort of restriction ( forcin cone/bareel) which did actually cause a "gas leak". His re-lapping procedure reduced the restriction to such an extent that the leading became less with the problem powders and generally there was a slight increase in velocity making better utilization of the inherent energy in the powder charge.

Best regards,

Adrian - Germany.

That is exactly the way I read it, too. I think Larry missed a critical post in there somewhere.

As to why all the oldtimers never had problems with thread choke, it's because they weren't shooting Ruger revolvers made with the "improved" modern methods that streamlined the barrel clocking process and causes overtorque on a number of their barrels. Overtorqued barrels crush the threads a bit and cause a bore restriction and make cast boolit shooters want to pull out their hair. Once the boolit swages to the minor size of the barrel and passes beyond that point, it no longer obturates the barrel and the resulting gas-cutting creates leading virtually the whole length of the barrel. It doesn't matter how big the boolit begins, if it gets squashed too much along the way it will leak.

Gear

Gear

kweidner
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
94 rounds 2400 running 1200 fps. where did the lead go? To the target! Antimony wash went away after about round 50. 18.0 grains hovering 1 inch groupd. Spent many a steel plate off hand at 50 too. Tested expansion of boolit (the new hp). acww can be pushed to 1200 fps at 9bhn with no lead. Don't really understand why wash went away. Sure glad t did. I will get pics up shortly!:bigsmyl2:

kweidner
01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Here is a pic of bbl. Not great taken with my phone. This is after nearly 100 rounds. No patch down bbl. This is it after range session. Unburned powder is what you see near forcing cone.