PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a fat 358-429 six cavity mould. (Lee Precision)

357shooter
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Any interest in a fatter Lyman-like 358-429, six cavity mould from Lee Precision?

The Lyman's drop skinny bullets, but their design is solid. The result is a slightly heavier bullet.

I recently posted about this same, or similar mould in:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138453

If there are 15 folks interested, I'd honcho a group buy. I did this mould, but skinnied down the lube groove, which is the picture below. For this buy we could go with that, or widen the groove and shrink the base (reversing what I did for my mould).

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/Custom-429-Group-Buy-sized-2.png

What do you think, anyone interested? I'm thinking a 6 cavity mould, this one drop BHN 7-8 at 178-179 grains. WW would be 3 grains less, estimated.

It would be a minimum of .360, with the Lee machining it could be +.003 from that. Right now my light loads of Bullseye like it unsized, and full magnum loads like them sized at .360. Your needs would be different, but wth the extra size there are options.

I'm thinking $95 per six cavity mould, plus $10.95 shipping.

Here's how they look:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/100_2379.jpg

nicholst55
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Catshooter was honcho of a GB for a Lee 358429 clone a few years ago; I'm assuming Lee would still have the tooling from that run. They cast about .362" with my alloy.

Personally at that price, I would rather have an NOE mold - even though they don't do 6- cavity molds.

357shooter
01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Lee doesn't keep the tooling around for reuse, so it has to be done for each order placed. The tooling from the mould I just did isn't even available to be reused, FYI.

I like the NOE too, I also like the Lyman. For those that like the Lyman design, but are frustrated with the small diameter four cavity moulds I hope this is a good option.

Also, for those that prefer a six cavity mould, I hope this is a good option for a 358-429. It's why I spent the money to have one made for me. It's impressed me enough to see if others are also interested.

Cowboy T
01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm in. The heaviest boolit for .357M I currently have is the 358-158-RF, which as 357shooter knows from another site, I get very good results with. But I'd like a heavier boolit as well, and I've always wanted a Keith-style in this caliber. 0.360" would be kinda fat for my guns (the Security-Six likes 0.3585"), but that's what the sizing die's for. Better a little too big than too small.

With the smaller grease groove, you aren't experiencing any out-of-lube problems in your long gun?

shawnsmc
01-03-2012, 11:15 PM
I would really like to see a MiHec MP molds 6 cavity copy of the Lee 6 cavity design. Would be about the same price too! I have one for a 9mm and the quality is far superior to the Lee.

357shooter
01-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm in. The heaviest boolit for .357M I currently have is the 358-158-RF, which as 357shooter knows from another site, I get very good results with. But I'd like a heavier boolit as well, and I've always wanted a Keith-style in this caliber. 0.360" would be kinda fat for my guns (the Security-Six likes 0.3585"), but that's what the sizing die's for. Better a little too big than too small.

With the smaller grease groove, you aren't experiencing any out-of-lube problems in your long gun?Hi Cowboy. So far so good even in the long gun, I need to run some more full house through it and plan to in the next week.

I have noticed the this bullet like to be seated deeper, per the Lyman cast bullet handbook. It also has already produced a group less than 1 inch, 25 yards- rested - iron sigths, with a light load. 3.5 grains of Bullseye did the trick. This is the only 358429 that I've found to shoot a light load that accurately.

Lubing seems to affect accuracy with the magnum loads I've tested in my revolver. Using Darr lube on the bottom groove was lead free, with and OAL of 1.560. So I tried lubing the crimp groove too, and the groups tightened up. I haven't tried this with the lighter load yet.

One note, my revolver has large throats. So the magnum loads shoot best when sized to .360, which matches the throat size. It may be a coincedence, but maybe not. Other 358429's in the past, with other revolvers, shot best when over throat size. The Bulleye load has performed the best unsized. So far.

Doing a run with the small lube groove is one option, the other option is to do a run (group buy) with all the large groove. Thought I'd see if there's enough interest to do it.

357shooter
01-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I would really like to see a MiHec MP molds 6 cavity copy of the Lee 6 cavity design. Would be about the same price too! I have one for a 9mm and the quality is far superior to the Lee.

From my experience, various custom and some semi-custom moulds are available from time to time. Custom moulds be ordered at any time, and range in price from $120 to approx $170. That's for 3 or 4 cavity versions. This proposed group buy is for a custom six cavity mould, which makes a big difference to many casters. It certainly does to me.

Of course there is the Lyman 4 cavity for $85 or so, that has the issue of small bullets. If your gun shoots them well, this is a good deal.

If it doesn't, and you need to custom or semi-custom, there isn't another 6 cavity available, AFAIK. I do see that MiHec can custom cut a 6 cavity for some bullets, so that's another option for someone to pursue, but will cost considerably more than $95 for a one-off (an assumption on my part). The Lee six cavity can be custom ordered at any time, and that will run you $205 for a six cavity.

I did actually get this mould custom made by Lee, and found it to be superb and drop excellenet bullets. I haven't done that with MiHec, and really don't want to incurr the additional cost of another couple of hundred dollars to me. Since I'm this far down the road and have a proven product in hand, I'll stick with Lee. for this proposed group buy. I'm not proposing a group-buy for a mould that I don't already own and have experience with. That's just my approach and how I like to do things.

shawnsmc
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Do you know what kind of turnaround it would be with Lee?

357shooter
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Do you know what kind of turnaround it would be with Lee?

I can order once I have the funds, it's all paid up front. They turn them around in 4 weeks. It took 3 weeks for the one I just did. Ii'll need a couple of days to pack and ship them out as they will only deliver to one address.

I'll verify with them that 15-20 moulds will still be within the 4 weeks and post back.

357shooter
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I spent somet time at the range yesterday. This slightly heavier Keith liked a 13.0 grain load of H110. Normally 13.5 worked the best.

When I backed it down, and increased to a medium crimp, groups got tighter.

Very sweet to have one mould producing bullets that will group less than 1 inch (25 yards) with a light load, and group less than 1 inch with a magnum load.

357shooter
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I can order once I have the funds, it's all paid up front. They turn them around in 4 weeks. It took 3 weeks for the one I just did. Ii'll need a couple of days to pack and ship them out as they will only deliver to one address.

I'll verify with them that 15-20 moulds will still be within the 4 weeks and post back.

I just heard back from Lee that over the winter it could be as long as 8 weeks to get them back from Lee. FYI

Springfield
01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
If you could get 10 buyers seems the price could be considerably less than 95.00.

357shooter
01-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Compared to the other options, a custom six cavity for $95 sounds like an excellent value. However there doesn't appear to be much interest, which is what the purpose of this thread is.

I read that a similar group-buy a few years back was priced at $100 each, so I thought this an excellent value.

Cowboy T
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Darn shame. There seems to be a lot of prejudice against Lee moulds, despite the fact that they do a very good job. That's too bad. Not knocking MiHec moulds or any other, before any of you get your dander up. Just saying this idea, a six-cavity Keith-style mould, seems like a very good one.

warf73
01-08-2012, 01:40 AM
If Lee is down to a 8 week turn around then that is GREAT, as all our custom mold makers are now how Lee was a few years back. There lead time is now a year out (our custom mold makers) and that is why I won't do any group buys with any of them. Not that they don't do great work but I refuse to wait a year or more for a mold. That was the reason why Lee lost there demand on this sit, lead times of a year plus. My last GB(as a honcho) threw Lee was over 14 month if I remember correctly, the molds were spot on spec but over a year wait is a complete turn off.

This is just my option, and that mold design by the way is a great one if it wasn't for the fact that I have 2 of them already I would jump on board.

Robert

357shooter
01-08-2012, 06:26 AM
The mould I had them do a couple of months ago was to me in 3 weeks. The 8 weeks is due to work already scheduled. Apparently they have a increase in orders over the winter time.

If we did this over the summer, it would more likely be a 4 week wait, FYI. I also thought the 8 weeks was excellent when compared with other buys too.

chprplt
01-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I would definitely be interested in one or two. But, I would rather have MP Molds version in a 4 cavity brass Cramer type mold. I have 2 Lyman 358429's and I'm tired of fighting with them. My MP molds open with a gloved hand and perfect bullets fall out without any kind of coaxing. I think Miha might even have the cherry for this one. And, he has better delivery and the molds don't have to be paid for until they are ready to ship. Think about it, guys.

shawnsmc
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Come on guys lets get a list started of who wants one. I will be in for one maybe two.

Springfield
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Unless things have changed in the last year, Lee charged 150.00 set-up. Then each mold is 52.00 each, with about 4.50 shipping for up to at least 25 moulds. So 15 moulds would cost 62.30 each, plus the approx 8.00 shipping to get it to the individual buyers. So the more moulds the more the set-up cost gets spread out. Lee does a fine job for pistol bullets, but with rifle bullets they guys here are MUCH more picky and LEE sometimes can't hold a tight enough tolerance.

357shooter
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
For comparisons sake:

Mountain Mould 3 cavity - $120 plus shipping
LBT 4 cavity - $170 plus shipping
Lee 5 cavity - $202 plu shipping
NOE 5 cavity - $92 plus shipping

I didn't list the Lyman, they just drop to small of a bullet.

This Lee Custom group buy is $95 plus shipping. Like I siad before, sounds like a great value. I loved my three cavity custom, but the six is much better to cast with.

The cost to refine the dimensions of this flavor of Keith:

Custom moulds for development: $400
Cast bullets for testing and verification: est. 5,000 cast bullets loaded and tested comparing just Keith designs

This Lyman styled Keith came is the result of that effort.

To date, there is a yes for a mould from:

Cowboy T
chprplt
shawnsmc

Thanks guys.

sargeny1
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
How about designing it so it will fit in the short cylinders of the S&W M27 & 28 & Colt Pythons when crimped in its crimp groove...!!!!!!!???????? .320" NOSE to Crimp Groove will work ok...!!!!!!! I'm in for TWO MOLDS if this can be done...!!!!!!!!!!
PETE

357shooter
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I plan to stick with the Lyman style Keith. They shoot great when crimped on the front band, with a OAL roughly 1.560. Or just a great crimped in the crimp groove, cylinders permitting.

I'd like to get the group-buy going in early February if at all possible.

Since there's not much activity, I'd like to get 10 people interested.

Let's do it for $85 per 6 cavity mould, plus $10.95 shipping.

I'm proposing a quick buy,

start it early Feb,
keep it open for three weeks, which takes it to first week of March
collect the funds (one more week) and place the order the second/third week of March
Manufacturing-8 weeks, first or second week of May depending on shipping to me,
then one week to ship to y'all.

That is a proposed group buy for a 6 cavity 358-429 starting the first week of Feb, with the moulds targeted to be delivered by Memorial day. I say targeted because sometimes things go wrong.

Any others interested in signing up so we get to the ten?

357shooter
02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone. I've decided to do a group buy on this mould from my blog. Those that expressed interest, please go ahead and check it out.

I hope this doesn't violate forums rules, but I wanted to close off this thread.

Cowboy T
02-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Bump--this is a really good idea. I'm definitely in for one of these. A six-banger Keith mould? That doesn't need to be broken in every doggone usage? And that doesn't rust?? Oh, yeah!

shawnsmc
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Looks like this buy will close in the next day or two. If you want one last chance is now?

357shooter
02-24-2012, 09:58 AM
The sign-up will end at 5pm Saturday, 3/25. Let me know if you are interested.

357shooter
02-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Update: Today (2/25) the sign-up phase ends. The cutoff is 5pm. I'll send out email and PM info to everyone that signed up on Sunday morning. What happens next is the 1 week payment phase, then the order goes to Lee for manufacturing. They will give me an updated production estimate based on the current backlog.

Thanks, let me know if anyone has any questions. PM if you are interested in getting in on this group buy.

357shooter
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Sign-up is over. I'll be sending out the payment info to the 10 folks that will be getting one of these custom moulds.

The schedule is for the order to go to Lee on 3/5, a week from Monday.

Look for PM or emails in the am.

Cowboy T
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
We're going to make some people jealous with these 6-bangers, 357shooter. :-) Let's be sure to post pics about it. Maybe then some of the folks 'round here might change their minds about Lee.

357shooter
02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Sounds good to me!

Since I already have one of these custom moulds already, it's dropping bullets like this:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/100_2379.jpg

The design drawing:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/prgallo/Jpg-1.jpg

357shooter
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Update for the guys in the buy: The payments are all in, the order goes to Lee tomorrow, 3/5. They will give an updated estimate for manufacturing at that time.

357shooter
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Update: The order has been placed, the final approved docs sent back to Lee on 3/5. I should have an updated estimate tomorrow sometime, 3/6. I'll be doing some business travel, but hope to make an update.

357shooter
03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Update: Andy from Lee confirmed an 8 week production cycle for the 358429 moulds, starting on 3/5. FYI

Hamish
03-06-2012, 11:27 PM
How did I miss this?

357shooter
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
[smilie=l:

I don't know!

357shooter
04-28-2012, 01:16 PM
UPDATE: The moulds arrived from Lee yesterday. They have all been packed, labeled and shipped via USPS. You should have recieved an email notification from the USPS. If you didn't, let me know and I'll hunt it down for you.

shawnsmc
04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Got mine today and casted a few hundred. They look great and cast easy. I miked a few and they seem to be a little out of round. From where the blocks meet it measured .3598 and at the distance from the furthest point of the two blocks measures .3634. This is very consistent through all cavities. Unfortunately it will be a couple of weeks until I can get out and shoot them.

357shooter
05-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Glad it got there so quickly. It was put into the mail on Saturday. Playing with mould temp can affect as cast roundness. At least it has in some of the moulds that I've "tested". A hotter mould may help in this case.

FYI