PDA

View Full Version : RCBS LAM II questions

Norton
03-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I am a green-horn to the ways of the Lubesizer and have been using the Lee press mounted die and cake cuter system for over 12 years. I wanted to buy a lubesizer but was confused by this 'Top Punch' monkey business . I finally saw a used RCBS lubesizer that I could not turn down. I got it set up and have been playing with and figured out it's mysterys. Now I see this top punch stuff is fairly simple. So correct me if I am wrong..
I need to cross reference my Lee or Lyman molds per nose type as not to deform the boolit as it is pushed down into sizer die?

Now I am told that most Lyman top punches will fit the RCBS LAM II is this true?

Does Lee have a cross reference chart on their web site?
Or can the good folks at Midway help mem get the right stuff over the telephone?

I bought this sizer used on E bay so I do not know what type of lube it is, the color is dark brown with some tan. It feels like wax with grease mixed in it.
Does this sound like RCBS lube?

Last does RCBS make a set of wrenches for the die cap and lube reservoiur?
I want a nice flat wrench

44woody
03-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Norton won't hurt a thing to ask the folks at Midway if there is a reference chart but I am sure they can tell you what you will need the lube sounds like a alox/bees wax lube if you need any lube pm me I have alot of it the wrenches when I had my lam-2 I did not get one I just used a pair of pliers to open and close it with or you can make one out of a piece of 1/8 flat stock steel :castmine: 44Woody

MT Gianni
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Lee tells everyone that their way works best. Most LY/RCBS punchs will fit a Lee boolit. The RN style especially, their SWC has a smaller meplate in general for the larger calibers but will generally come close. I have taken a 1/4" bolt, if you find one without the grade markings on the top so much the better, ground the flats off of the hex head, and grind until it fits inside a .356 die if you shoot 9mm. This fits their rf style from 357-45 cal without deforming. Many rn styles may also fit them. A top punch can be adapted to another style buy carefull use of epoxy. Drill, cut or scrape the inside out and lube a bullet well with vaseline or another release agent then insert it into the epoxyed cavity before it sets up. All in all, the proper top punch is best but close may be all we get somedays. Gianni.