PDA

View Full Version : COMPETITOR single shot pistol

joeb33050
03-03-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm thinking of one of these for CBA LRH competition. Does anyone here have any experience with this cannon breech pistol? Ever seen one?
Thanks;
joe b.

44man
03-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I had the Magnum Research Lone Eagle in 7-08 and it was fantastically accurate. Killed some deer with it. The only problem was extraction was weak if loaded too hot and I had to design a better extracter. Nickel cases came out easier.
The action is probably the strongest ever made. During testing they loaded it so hot the brass melted and fused itself to the chamber walls. They had to cut it in half to see what happened and there was no actual damage to the gun itself other then being brazed together.
I don't know if the one you are thinking of is the same. Do you have a site to look?

Glen
03-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I have the OT-SSP, which is very similar. Mine is in .308 and it shoots everything well (110s to 190s). The trigger is so-so, but, as noted above, the gun itself is very strong (don't ask me how I know this....). I've taken a couple of mulies and a couple of antelope with mine, as well as a whole pile of rodents. It's a surprisingly compact package for a 14" barreled handgun, and it does shoot very well.

versifier
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I had one of the original OT SSP's in .30-30 and I have to say it was the most accurate handgun (out of 30-35) I have ever owned. I regularly outshot rifles with it to the point where my shooting buddies considered my using it to be an unfair advantage against their leverguns. I solved that by having us all shoot it against each other, and we needed dial calipers to figure out who shot the better 100yd groups. On it, I used both a 4X Leupold for load development/target work and an Aimpoint for hunting (mostly woodchucks). Unfortunately, the day came when I had to sell it to feed the kids, and I have been kicking myself ever since. I have also played with the Lone Eagle, basically the same gun, in .308 and it also was a tack driver. They're a bit too heavy to carry around all day for deer hunting, but as you are wanting it for competition, that is not a consideration. I would go for it if I were you.

joeb33050
03-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know what the OT-SSB pistol is. Where could I read?
The Remington SS bolt pistol or the Savage Striker are recommended as the starting point for CBA pistols, but are pretty unobtainable.
The Competitor has been in the Gun Digest for years, is made in NH. Here's the site:
http://www.competitor-pistol.com/
I've never seen one of these, but it looks like I could buy a ready-to-shoot pistol in 30BR or?? for $500.
I never got the Contender to contend with lead bullets, in 32-20, 30-30 rifle and pistol and throated, 6.5 TCU and 7 TCU-I got tired of buying barrels and gave up.
Contender barrels are insanely overpriced.
So, anybody seen a Competitor?
Thanks;
joe b.

44man
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I like it! It is much better designed then the Lone Eagle. The prices look very good too.

Mohillbilly
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I've got one with a 25-06 and a brake.very strong.I did a real dumb thing a couple years ago and ordered a barrel in 470(.475) Capstick!! Now I'm afraid to shoot it! I don't have any pachederms running around loose, nor any T-rexs.guess I'll start low and use little 325 gr wildey/linebaugh type boolits.500 and 600 gr boolits are what is called for and solids at that,brass or steel jacketed... If you call to order one, talk to Al he's the boss......

JohnLeBourgeois
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Folks,

We are starting up Tucson Gun Works in the next month or so. Thursday(3/7/07) we bought out the entire production parts run for the Competitor Single Shot that you are considering and will starting to put them together this week. I figure there's about 70 guns in that.. once those are gone, that's it, although we'll still support those we made. We will be getting the uppers and lowers on Billy Bob Riley's RamRod pistol in about 9 weeks or so and be assembling and selling those as well. Thats a single shot as well, had lots of write ups on it but couldn't get it into production until now.. so that will carry us after we work through this lot.. if we get enough interest on this pistol we'll make that again as well.. just have to see what people want..

Haven't got the phone in yet, but we got the shop set up. Billy Bob Riley, who was one of the original partners in this, and a master machinist and gunsmith is working with me on getting this out.

They fall into the "custom" category right now as we are hand fitting, machining and finishing these .. we got 10 and 14" barrels and Billy Bob has just about every reamer made...

I'm testing out our micro sandblaster stenciling system that will do a .001" line on the stainless, so for a charge yet to be determined ( since I don't know how long it'll take) You can send in artwork or photoshopped files and we'll put it on the other side of the gun ( where we don't have our logo on)...

We are only doing stainless at this point, case hardened colored moly will be down the road after we get up to speed.

Right now, we'll sequential number your guns if you order more than 1. Email me if your serious and i"ll send you a pdf of the brochure on the gun from the old days.. Appreciate your interest, always looking for input on what calibers you think should be "standard"

Good Shooting!

- John LeBourgeois

In the post above I mentioned we bought out the "competitor production".. what happened was that current company "stole" and copyrighted the name on that pistol from the original manufacturers, competition arms inc. here in tucson. What we have is the original gun here, not that thing that is being currently made..

45nut
03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
John,,welcome to the board.
I recommend posting that info to www.specialtypistols.us as well.

joeb33050
03-13-2007, 06:27 AM
I called the company in NH, the guy said that they're in business and there's a 8-12 week backlog right now. I don't understand the Tucson business. Is this some lawsuit thing going on?
Thanks;
joe b.

HHI 812
03-31-2007, 04:52 AM
I had a few of them Competitors(breech loading one). Had one in 25 Souper, 338-06AI, 375-350 Rem, and a 284 Win. The .284 Win had actually belonged to Hal Swiggett himself. Had his own personal serial number, and a matching serial number hand made Competitor belt buckle, that came with the gun. All the barrels were very accurate and powerful, and easily capable of 1MOA and under. Only problem is sometimes the long wait to get one, or barrels at times. If you can find one used, then the wait for a barrel won't be as bad. If you look at his list of calibers, he probably has the longest list of any custom handgun maker I know of, and whats even better, he makes the dies and shell holders for a lot of his wildcatts, and they don't cost an arm and a leg either.