PDA

View Full Version : lube choices!!!

indymadcaster
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I want something simple to make.....We(family) shoot 9mm,40S&W,45ACP, 38&357 44 special/Mag .380 3o8win/30-06 222/223 rem 762x39 and 7.62x54r. I cast and load for these and a few oddballs calibers also
some loads Do pass the 2200 fps mark and we shoot and hunt from -15 degrees to 95 to 100 in summer.

So I am looking at the following choices in terms of ease to make and performance

Bens Red

Speed green and or Lotak

45-45-10 recluse

Now which one will meet my criteria???? this is also a budget concern as i want to get ONE that works without buying a ton of **** to try and mix

Sorry so long
Indymadcaster

Love Life
01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Speed green. I don't think anybody has replicated Lotak yet...

btroj
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Why not just buy something? Lube is pretty cheap to buy. White Label lubes are a great product and they have unreal prices.

It sure doesn't get easier to make than letting someone else do it.

randyrat
01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
David, use some of that Sprue Plate lube I sent you a while back. I call it ZIP Lube.

Mix 3 parts beeswax (I know you have a bunch of beeswax)
1 part ZIP LUBE
and 1 -2 ounces of carnauba wax. (I think you ordered a bunch from me a while back)
Melt it all together and you have one heck of a lube for all occasions.

**Hot summer time I use 1-2 ounces of carnauba wax
**Colder or extreme cold I use either none or 1/2- 1 ounce of carnauba wax.

It's easy, inexpensive, works like a charm in any caliber. You don't have to cook it just heat and stir.

Here is a simple recipe:
12 ounces beeswax, melt first
add 3-4 ounces of ZIP LUBE
then add your carnauba wax flakes (1 -2 ounces per lb of lube)
Stir until all is melted and mixed, pour into your molds or lube sizer

noylj
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I have no idea how fast you can push it, but I "assume" that tumble-lubing LLA or 45/45/10 works best with barrels shorter than some length and at velocities under some limit.
I have used LLA in all hand gun loads for years, including .44 Mag.
I have never used in in rifles.
I have used it in Contender barrels of hand gun calibers and a barrel length of 12" max.
Unless all you shoot is lead, you will need to thoroughly clean your barrel between jacketed and lead bullets. For a rifle, I consider the Foul-Out III to be "required."
The important factors are not the lube recipe, but rather bullet fit and alloy.

runfiverun
01-02-2012, 11:55 PM
that zip lube randy shows or speed green.
your accuracy will change in those temp ranges you show.
i modify my lube [for the winter temps mainly] by adding some atf to the mix.
lube viscosity is the important thing, consistency over temp ranges is the key.
making a lube thats always hard or always soft will be what you are looking for.

randyrat
01-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Very good point made there. I never notice a difference between none or 1 ounce of carnauba wax in any of my pistol loads.
BUT if I'm shooting longer range rifle loads I always stick to one recipe. I find the recipe that works in the rifles work in pistols.
Of course, I'm not trying shooting 1 MOA groups at 100 yds with pistol.

There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home.

cajun shooter
01-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Randy, I had to laugh at your last statement. It reminded me of what happened to my wife and I about 6 years ago.
We had a camp that was on the Gulf of Mexico. You stepped from the camp and into the boat just five feet away.
Louisiana winters are as cruel as the winters in that it is a very damp cold with wind blowing and on the Gulf you have no wind barriers. We went out that morning at 6:00 am and it was 29 degrees and the winds were about 10mph.
After about three hours and not a single fish I looked at my wife and her face was as red as a beet from the cold wind but not a whimper from her.
I finally had enough and said to her; I know for a fact that we have Hot Chocolate at the Camp. She looked at me and said well hell Let's go there then!!
Randy, Your Carnauba wax works great as I added it to my BP lube and it makes what was good even better. It does shine that barrel. Take Care David

indymadcaster
01-06-2012, 01:39 AM
12 ounces by weight or liquid volume? ??

randyrat
01-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Beeswax by weight and the Zip lube by ounces volume

indymadcaster
01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
well I made it today! kinda stiffer than peanut butter @ 60 degrees for cold temps should i add atf???

randyrat
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I make mine and it is harder than peanut butter by a long shot. You can firm it up with more carnauba wax flakes. I wouldn't have a total of more than 2 ounces per lb.

Possibly you added a bit too much ZIP lube? Another easy way to stiffen it up would be to add more beeswax to the batch.

David, I will send you some free of charge so you have a standard to go by. PM me your address. I can send you some lube stick or bulk? Then if it not hard enough I can make it harder and give you the recipe.

noylj
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
You know, some people just go way beyond being simply helpful...

randyrat
01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
You meant that in a good way?

noylj
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
RandyRat:
Is there another way to take it?
Just saying, you are exceeding what any one would EXPECT. Meant as a compliment...

randyrat
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Of course :-) what was I thinking

bpratl
01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
+5 to randyrat

L1A1Rocker
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
David, use some of that Sprue Plate lube I sent you a while back. I call it ZIP Lube.

Mix 3 parts beeswax (I know you have a bunch of beeswax)
1 part ZIP LUBE
and 1 -2 ounces of carnauba wax. (I think you ordered a bunch from me a while back)
Melt it all together and you have one heck of a lube for all occasions.

**Hot summer time I use 1-2 ounces of carnauba wax
**Colder or extreme cold I use either none or 1/2- 1 ounce of carnauba wax.

It's easy, inexpensive, works like a charm in any caliber. You don't have to cook it just heat and stir.

Here is a simple recipe:
12 ounces beeswax, melt first
add 3 ounces of ZIP LUBE
then add your carnauba wax flakes (1 -2 ounces per lb of lube)
Stir until all is melted and mixed, pour into your molds or lube sizer

Hey Randy, at 3-1 ratio shouldn't your example have 4 ounces of Zip Lube?

Made up a batch of something similar to Randy's TAC-1 last week. 9 ounces of Beeswax (by weight) plus 3 ounces of husqvarna 2-cycle (by weight), plus .75 ounces of carnauba. It came out great! A bit firmer than Speed green, but less tacky. Also seemed to flow better in my lubramatic.

Thanks Randy!

Larry Gibson
01-13-2012, 03:30 AM
I want something simple to make.....We(family) shoot 9mm,40S&W,45ACP, 38&357 44 special/Mag .380 3o8win/30-06 222/223 rem 762x39 and 7.62x54r. I cast and load for these and a few oddballs calibers also
some loads Do pass the 2200 fps mark and we shoot and hunt from -15 degrees to 95 to 100 in summer.

So I am looking at the following choices in terms of ease to make and performance

Bens Red

Speed green and or Lotak

45-45-10 recluse

Now which one will meet my criteria???? this is also a budget concern as i want to get ONE that works without buying a ton of **** to try and mix

Sorry so long
Indymadcaster

Javelina or 2500+ will meet allyour requirements. I shoot every one of the cartridges mentioned with one to 2600+ fps. I have tried and thoroughly tested a lot of different lubes over the years and always come back to those 2 lubes, mostly Javelina.

Larry Gibson

dromia
01-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Concur on White Labels 2500 it does what you need at a price that means its not worth my while to make my own lube any more.

Sonnypie
01-13-2012, 05:00 AM
There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home.

AMEN! :lol:
I think that is why most hunting seasons are not in the dead of winter.

But I do remember when the temperature got up to Zero in the Wyoming winter it was T-shirt weather.
If you cut your finger you didn't bleed... you oozed. :D

randyrat
01-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Hey Randy, at 3-1 ratio shouldn't your example have 4 ounces of Zip Lube?

Made up a batch of something similar to Randy's TAC-1 last week. 9 ounces of Beeswax (by weight) plus 3 ounces of husqvarna 2-cycle (by weight), plus .75 ounces of carnauba. It came out great! A bit firmer than Speed green, but less tacky. Also seemed to flow better in my lubramatic.

Thanks Randy!
Original calls for 12/4 ounces but for a firmer lube 12/3 ounces. You have to decide which one and see how it works in your application.

L1A1Rocker
01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Original calls for 12/4 ounces but for a firmer lube 12/3 ounces. You have to decide which one and see how it works in your application.

Thanks for the clarification Randy:drinks: