PDA

View Full Version : S_N_O_W Finally!!!!!!!!

badgeredd
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
What a winter and a horrible hunting season to date. I'm guessing the unseasonable warmth and lack of snow and cold weather has made for a bad deer season but at least now we have snow so there is hope for the bunny season. We got at least nine inches of snow since last night and I am glad to see it. Don't tell SWMBO because she's not the least impressed with the white stuff. :D;-)

Edd

Love Life
01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I think the snow took a wrong turn. It should be over here in Nevada!

BruceB
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I think the snow took a wrong turn. It should be over here in Nevada!

When I left the Arctic in '97 to relocate in Nevada, I wondered if I'd miss snow.

HAH!

Contrary to ll's sentiments above, y'all are WELCOME to keep that white stuff all to yerselfs.....from here, it looks good on you!

dragonrider
01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
We are still waiting, and that's fine by me.

OBIII
01-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Keep it there, or send it NE. We don't want it in Maryland.

Bullet Caster
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Haven't gotten our first snow in eastern TN. However, it's supposed to give us a dusting for tomorrow. BC

Jim
01-02-2012, 11:31 PM
We got our first dusting this evening. Weather service says there should be more by daybreak.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/p1010001-e1325561286457.jpg

Rick N Bama
01-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Now that I'm retired I don't mind a good snowfall every once in a while. I'm now 64 years old & my first ever "White Christmas" was in '10. My Grandkids sure did enjoy it:)

We'll normally get a couple light snows here every winter with a "Big Snow" of 6" or so coming every few years. The most I've ever seen here was 14" which was back in '59 or '60.

Rick

Rockydog
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
It's 4* F here in Central Wisconsin this morning with no snow on the ground. Seems odd to be this cold with no snow and no snow forcast for the next 10 days. Weather is going to warm up too. Highs in the upper 30s and lower 40s for the next 10 days. RD

Blammer
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
it's 16° here this AM and we got a dusting last night, not even enough to measure.
they cancelled school for the kids today because the HI is to be about 30°.

Oh well, benefits of living in the South. :)

badgeredd
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
We got our first dusting this evening. Weather service says there should be more by daybreak.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/p1010001-e1325561286457.jpg

My oldest daughter and family live in Glouchester Point and she likes to see a dusting but hates the hassles it causes down there.

Now that I'm retired I don't mind a good snowfall every once in a while. I'm now 64 years old & my first ever "White Christmas" was in '10. My Grandkids sure did enjoy it

My sentiments exactly. Not having to be somewhere changes ones view often.

I've complained about the snow and its accumulation several times in the past so I hear all of you that prefer not to see the stuff, but I guess my point is it just hasn't seemed right here in Michigan to not have snow on the ground for at least a portion of the deer season. It has been unseasonably warm up to now (which HAS saved me money) and snow fall has been almost non-existent,

Blammer, truth is we had seriously considered moving to southern Tennessee until my Dad started having problems five years ago. I'd been stationed in Mississippi back in the early 70s and loved the southern tier of states.

Edd

badgeredd
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Well guys, I've gotta get my self out on the tractor so I can clear the driveway. Ain't it great...NOT!

Edd

bruce drake
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
9 degrees today and has been snowing off and on for the last couple of days here in Upstate NY. Its been a weird winter so far. Cold enough for snow for a few days and get 3-4" of snow and then it warms up and goes away for a week. Almost ready to shake the fist at the sky and tell God to get the winter started so we can get through it. Tired of the teasing.

Bruce

LAH
01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Laying it down here, fire feels good, lead pot is warming.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firewood/4-2-11/DSC00514a.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Badgeredd. Do you even have that old John Deere running when you slalom down your hill driveway? I think the height of your place has deprived you of oxygen so much that you "like" snow! :bigsmyl2: Here in the thumb area we have maybe 1 - 2" on the ground with 40+ temps forecast for Fri. We beat out the rainiest year recorded ever here before New Years with almost 47.71" of rain for the year.Robert

357maximum
01-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Here in the Central Michi-Braska flatlands we are still without measurable snow and that is OK by me.

If I would have wanted alot of snow every year I would have set up home on a steep hill not far from a Ski Resort directly in the path of Lake Michigan's full effect ......right EDD?[smilie=l: If I really wanted a challenge I would have made my driveway like a ski run too eh? Why a feller would intentionally build a driveway to act as a trap for the UPS driver and his truck I will never know. :groner:

I would be willing to bet the deer hunting issue you are seeing has more to do with the DNR's mismanagement than the weather. Wanna take that bet?

lbaize3
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Living in Southeast Texas, a rifle shot from the Gulf of Mexico, I have but one question.... What is SNOW?

357maximum
01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Snow is lazy rain. Where rain will runoff and seek it's own place in the world, snow has to be given "assistance" and shovelled/blown/pushed out of ones way if it arrives in abundance.

1Shirt
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Have had a total of maybe 5" of snow so far this year. Just one time did I need a snow blower. Have had a couple of days/nights of rain however, and one of them fairly heavy. So I guess we will just take what the good Lord gives us, and hope that it is satisfactory to the farmers.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

iomskp
01-03-2012, 06:11 PM
We don't get a lot of snow in my part of the world it's 8am and it is 84 F for this time of year it is a bit cool, but you folks enjoy your snow.

Love Life
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I had to turn the AC on briefly in my truck today. Dang global warming.

Urny
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
It should be in the single digits (F) to mid teens this time of year here in NE Nevada, but it was a little over 32 this morning when I headed over to the gym at 0345. Now it's in the low 50's, which ain't natural. We could use a little moisture for the ranchers, farmers, and wildlife's well being. I'm not complaining about the temperature today; Saturday at the Spring Creek range it was in the low teens, and I'm getting a little frayed around the edges for that.

firefly1957
01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Bruce Drake I was just north of you on Christmas (Massina NY) and had a white Christmas.

I have 3-4 inches on the ground here in Harrison nice light fluffy stuff.

Pigslayer
01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Keep it there, or send it NE. We don't want it in Maryland.

Shouldn't have said anything! Now we have it in MD. LOL

BruceB
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
We're doing good so far....61* F as I write!

Love Life
01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
It should be in the single digits (F) to mid teens this time of year here in NE Nevada, but it was a little over 32 this morning when I headed over to the gym at 0345. Now it's in the low 50's, which ain't natural. We could use a little moisture for the ranchers, farmers, and wildlife's well being. I'm not complaining about the temperature today; Saturday at the Spring Creek range it was in the low teens, and I'm getting a little frayed around the edges for that.

Too true. Our bird and game populations don't quite know what to make of it. I wore shorts and a t-shirt for PT today. This time last year it was cold and snowy. Well that is what I heard because this time last year the Govt sent me to Hawaii for training!!! Nothing quite like snorkeling in February!

9.3X62AL
01-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Snow is lazy rain. Where rain will runoff and seek it's own place in the world, snow has to be given "assistance" and shovelled/blown/pushed out of ones way if it arrives in abundance.

OK, that's funny right there. No snow here so far, and at the foot of the Sierras our sitch is a lot like Rick In Bama's description. It was in the 80s in Pasadena yesterday for the G-- d--- Rose Parade, which means inside 2 weeks there will be 3/4 million new Rust Belt Refugees arriving to settle here. I used to despise that, but the up-side is that it makes more U-Haul trucks available here, enabling those few remaining sensible folks to flee more conveniently.