PDA

View Full Version : broken case !!!

mcstern
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Guys, can anybody help me!! Reloading some 30 cal revolver ammo, the brass ripped in half in the resizing die, midway do a tool, but its for use in the breech, so i'm not sure if it would work in my situation. Any suggestions welcome????:

zuke
01-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Use a cleaning brush.
Push it half way thru then try to remove it.
The reversing bristle's just might pull it out.

edler7
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Put the die in the freezer overnight. Brass and steel have different shrink/expansion rates. You might be able to pull or drive the case out after a good cold treatment.

dromia
01-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits.

In addition to the above ensure that you cases are adequately lubed in future.

Also take heed to the feel of your reloading procedures, if some thing requires more force than usual stop and find out why. My handloading experiences show me that a bigger hammer rarely works.

3006guns
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
A bronze brush MIGHT work, but it depends on how tight it's stuck. The freezer trick is a good bet too.

I removed a separated case from a rifle chamber once by screwing a machinist tap into the brass very carefully then tapping it out with a rod. Worked. Just be careful you don't run the tap through the brass into your die!

cp478
01-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Let us know what works

OuchHot!
01-04-2012, 03:23 PM
In one situation, where the other methods failed, I stuck a spot of epoxy inside the case fragment and shoved a dowel into that.....gave me something to hang on to.