PDA

View Full Version : 1858conversion blows up?

Tom-ADC
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Don't know if this has been around but it really has me thinking. I just loaded up 50 rounds of 45 LC using 4.7 grains of Clays with a 226 gr cast boolit, reg. large pistol primers.
Should I be concerned about big case small charge?
But then I do load 10 grs of Unique in a 45-70 case and no fillers?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=634394

mooman76
01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Clays is a good fast powder so that part shouldn't be a problem. I don't have any experience with the conversion kits though. I wonder though if his was actually a light charge like he said. It did allot of damage so something was wrong about the whole situation.

Ilwil
01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
This is a good time to talk up the use of Trail Boss powder in cartridge conversion guns.

wiljen
01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd bet my money on double charge.

LIMPINGJ
01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I think wiljen nailed it.

RayinNH
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Either a double charge or the guy mentions no crimp groove on the boolit used. Maybe it wasn't crimped as tight as he thought and the boolit slipped back in the case and created excessive pressure. I bet he needed clean shorts too :p...Ray

Johnny_Cyclone
01-02-2012, 11:47 PM
I had an ..ahhh.. moment with this responder to the Kaboom.

.....I was reloading on my Dillon 550B and going along nicely when it was time to empty the full tray of loaded cartridges, and found an empty case with powder spilled in the tray also. At first I just thought I had forgot to set a bullet on a charged case, and it just spilled out as it fell into the tray. I couldn't believe I would do something like that as I'm pretty careful about my reloading practices. So I continue on reloading, then it happened again and now I know something is wrong as I was watching carefully that I was putting a bullet on top after the first time. So I started another round of reloading when I finally spotted it, I set a bullet on top of the charged case, pulled the handle and to my supprise the bullet totally disappeared. It wasn't in the case at all! I knew what happened but wanted to prove it so I went and indexted the press and loaded the next case. This time the bullet was seated like it was supposed to be. I stopped and removed that one and pulled it apart, and what I suppected happened, happened there were 2 bullets in that loaded round! WOW! that could have been a KaBooM in the making. The problem ended up being to much bullet lube had built up in the seating die and it stick there and with the next pull it would set both bullets and this time it would let loose......
1KPerDay

If thats what happened it would have givin the guy a 450 gr boolit over 5.3gr 700x. I think thats more than a conversion cylinder is rated for.

Makes one wonder how many other kabooms could have been caused by sticky seating dies. Easy for one to think they forgot to put a boolit on the case when really it is stuck in the seating die only to be seated over the boolit of the next case.

If he seated and crimped in one die then it might not have happened, but if seating in one die and crimping in the another die...humm.. I see how a sticky seater could hold a boolit when the case is withdrawn, leading to two boolits in the next case.

Think I'll go clean my dies as I'm a seat in one and crimp in another kind of guy.

wiljen
01-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Thus the reason for using a single stage press unless you just absolutely have to have more production than it will support. That problem certainly would have been caught immediately.

zuke
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Thus the reason for using a single stage press unless you just absolutely have to have more production than it will support. That problem certainly would have been caught immediately.

My thought's exactly. He should have pulled all that ammo and started to trouble shoot the problem.
Now he has one less to shoot.

JayinAZ
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Your scale will quickly sort out any with that problem.

wallenba
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
It was two squib loads that convinced me to add the RCBS lock-out die in my press. Highly recommend it.

dmize
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Trailboss

leadman
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Looking at the top picture of the gun it appears the left side of the barrel/frame is missing a chunk. Lots of lead splatter also. Hard to tell but is the cylinder indexed properly? Could it have been off enough to fire and catch the edge of the barrel?

Glad he wasn't hurt or than his pride.

Hardcast416taylor
01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I load on a Hornady Pro-Jector press for my handgun cartridges. I removed the loaded case ejector gimmick. I prefer to visualy inspect each round that comes off my press. Must be an old F**t thing I guess.Robert

220swiftfn
01-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Even on a Dillon SDB it's easy to see the powder at #3 before you seat a bullet/boolit and to see that it's STILL there at #4..... But this assumes that you're checking things as you load......

Dan

dmize
01-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I dont understand all the progressive bashing. I have a Dillon 650 (without case and bullet feeder) and its far from a mindless automatic operation.

wiljen
01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Not bashing progressives. I own both a Dillon and a Hornady LNL AP, it just breeds carelessness if you add all the automatic features and then don't watch closely as this individual must have done. Something like the 650 without the auto bullet feed, how likely would you be to catch the mistake of doubling up on bullets? For me, I know I go through the same motions, turn, insert case, insert bullet, prime, lift ram, powder, lower ram, repeat. If I turned the shell plate and realized the previous round was missing a bullet, that would bring the operation to a dead stop right there.

Tom-ADC
01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I use a Dillon 550B I watch the powder go in the case and the bullet, if one had stuck in the seater then when I rotated the indexer that case would be with out a bullet.
I set the bullet at station 3 by hand and before I index I have checked and made sure everything worked as advertised.
Maybe to many automatic features on the 650. Only one I use is the low primer warning.

bigted
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
i wholeheartedly agree.......TRAILBOSS ////// or //////BLACKPOWDER !!!

either of these will negate the double of anything if you have any feel for the loader you use...when the arm goes either very easy all of a sudden...or very hard all of a sudden.......stop n see what happened.

volumed out loads will always negate double charges and just try to seat 2 boolits on a volumed out load.

i feel srry for this feller and am glad he is ok and most impotent......he posted his happening so others would learn from whatever made this happen.......MANY THANKS FOR DOING SO.!!!

garym1a2
01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I learned after a couple squids to put a bright lamp over my press and 100% inspect the cases at the step I place the boolit.
Failures do happen and the eyes can see it.

daschnoz
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Cabela's has them on sale at the moment. They're on backorder :evil:. The price has actually gone up over the last week. I paid $179.99 for mine when I placed my order last Wednesday. They're now up to $229.99 - which still isn't that bad.

Dframe
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I'd bet my money on double charge.

So would I!

Tom-ADC
01-05-2012, 08:17 PM
So I'm 100% sure my light loads 4.7 grs of Clays that none have a double charge I look as I'm loading, no double boolits in any cases BUT should I be concerned with such a light load in such a large case? I'm thinking of pulling the bullets since its only 50 rounds.