PDA

View Full Version : New Plastic rifle from Ruger

Hardcast416taylor
01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
The American Rifle as it`s touted by Ruger. Another cheap plastic stocked attempt like the Rem 798 series knock off on their 700 action rifles. I wonder if Bill Ruger is doing cartwheels in his coffin yet over the way the business is going?Robert

high standard 40
01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
The 798 was an imported Mauser style action with a Remington stamp on it.. You probably mean the 710 but it was not really a knockoff of the 700 either.......the 710 was indeed a poor design, I agree.

I looked at the exploded view online of the Ruger American and it appears to have a barrel system similar to the Savage rifles. Mossberg and Marlin are using the same thing with their rifles. It seems to be a trend.Time will tell if the new Ruger is any good or not.

rbertalotto
01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I want to see a bunch of accuracy tests..........and not by magazine gun writers........."The gun would have shot better but the wind was blowing 5 mph and it was cold....." ---"It would have shot better, but the stars weren't aligned properly..."-----" It will shoot a two shot 1" group if you do your part...."

When someone can duplicate Savages "out of the box" accuracy for under $500, then you got my attention.

And this rifle is simply ugly..........Who on God's green earth is designing firearms up there in New Hampshire. That revolver they just introduced is horrible to look at. And this "rifle" is no better. Its a TC Icon or a S&W Whateveritscalled...........It takes a Czechoslovakian company (CZ) to show America how a rifle should look and perform............

"The only interesting rifles are accurate rifles..........................."

10 ga
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I've got a nylon 66 that I use on my trapline. Don't need another one. Have a CZ in 17 rem that I use fur hunting. I'd like to have one in 17 fireball and one of the 20 cals. What that tell ya? best, 10 ga

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-03-2012, 02:33 AM
trying to compete with China*

Rich

* in terms of cheap

high standard 40
01-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Here's a link to a test of the Ruger American by Gun Blast.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

Pat I.
01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Barrel nut, accutrigger, what looks like a floating bolt head by the looks of the pin in the bolt body that can be seen in the video. Sounds like Rugers answer to a Savage to me and probably a good idea to bring to market. If it shoots as good as th Savages for that price it'll be a winner. Never had much luck accuracy wise with the 77s I've owned.

I think Ruger's been doing good things lately. Especially with their pistols.

Shiloh
01-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I think Ruger's been doing good things lately. Especially with their pistols.

Sure wish they didn't discontinue the Mk II series.

Shiloh

starmac
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I am more of a walnut type, but I like the looks of that stock better than some of their earlier ones by far.
I can also see why a plastic stock is desired in some situations, so if this rifle performs as good as some of the savages it seems to have copied, it would be one to look at anyway.
Where is the lefty version. lol

Markbo
01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
...Who on God's green earth is designing firearms up there in New Hampshire...."

Nobody... they are just taking other manufacturers design ideas: Kel-Tec, Walther and now Tikka. Externally at least that is a Tikka T3. And with more write ups like Gun Blasts' (I happen to believe in the Quinn boys reviews) they will sell a TON of them! They look sleek, apparently are accurate and the price point from what Jeff heard at the SHOT show will place them in that $400-500 range and give Savage a run for their money.

BTW shouldn't this be moved out of the "Rimfire" forum?