PDA

View Full Version : HP conversion of Lee Mold?

kodiak6579
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
If I'm rehashing old posts I appologize!!

I have a Lee 170gn .309 FP mold that I currently use in my Marlin 336 .30-30 . I'd like to have a .30cal HP mold and wanted to know if anyone here has ever
1. Converted a lee mold to HP?
2. Converted a .30cal to HP?
3. used said bullets to good effect...

If they're ****, someone tell me now and save me the trouble!:) If they're great, please let me know how, or who to send it to to have this done. Thank Guys!

Mk42gunner
01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Use the search function, or scroll back several pages in this section. I know someone had a pictorial on how he converts his Lee two cavity molds to HP.

I don't think anyone that does it commercially converts Lee molds, because of the alignment rods in the bottom of the mold.

If you just want a few HP boolits for hunting, the easiest way would be to buy the Forster hollow pointing tool and drill a few boolits.

Bottom line, if you are dead set on having a Lee HP mold, I would do it myself; if you screw it up, you are only out ~$18.00 + shipping.

Robert

Rangefinder
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123677

Here you are. ;)

geargnasher
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Try Rangefinder's method, pretty slick. I don't think any of the pro's do the two-banger for the reasons mentioned.

Gear

Hamish
01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123677

Here you are. ;)

Why is this not a sticky?

koehlerrk
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Why is this not a sticky?

+1 to that!

geargnasher
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Because nobody pm'd the mods about it!

Gear

BossHoss
01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Awesome thread.....I did not find it while lurking and reading over the last bunch of months....must have skipped it.

Yes, it should be in a tips/or by itself sticky.

kodiak6579
01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Rangefinder, thanks for the writeup. Well written and documented and exat-tactly what i was looking for! Definite +1 for a sticky! Mods, i think we have a winner! Range, do you have any photos of recovered bullets showing expansion. Also thank you to MK42 for the info on the HP'ing tool, seems like a good tool for low volume production. I took a look at their webiste and i think the only problem i have with that tool is it looks like you have to put a finished cartridge in a drill press...? Seems like there's a lot of potential for mishap there...

Mk42gunner
01-03-2012, 10:28 AM
The one I was thinking of is an attachment for their case trimmer, which holds the cases in a collet. Nothing to contact the primer. I still haven't gotten one, but I do have an old Forster cast trimmer just waiting for the day I find one cheap.

Robert

Hamish
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Somebody, whoever, decide if the original Rangefinder thread or this one needs to be the sticky, I personally kind of like the way kodiak framed his question which led into rangefinder posting his thread. I love this freakin' place, I tell you what.

@(:^]#>:::

Rangefinder
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Looks like they stuck the original. ;)

Boolseye
01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
with the Forster HP tool option, You don't really need the trimmer in order to use it–I've had good results on various boolits. I've used it with the lee trimmer shellholder held in a vice (to hold the cartridge stable), and now I'm using it with my drill press. The boolits shoot well and expand perfectly.

HARRYMPOPE
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
hollowpoint mold service now offers new Lee molds with his inset bar conversion.i believe only shorter pistol designs are available.I will have one to test next week

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

he should have pics up this weekend

george

williamwaco
01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Many years ago I had Lyman 311041 hollow point.

It was awsome. I cann't say benough good about it. Accurate and deadly.

Fishman
01-07-2012, 12:11 AM
If I'm rehashing old posts I appologize!!

I have a Lee 170gn .309 FP mold that I currently use in my Marlin 336 .30-30 . I'd like to have a .30cal HP mold and wanted to know if anyone here has ever
1. Converted a lee mold to HP?
2. Converted a .30cal to HP?
3. used said bullets to good effect...

If they're ****, someone tell me now and save me the trouble!:) If they're great, please let me know how, or who to send it to to have this done. Thank Guys!

Kodiak I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to say that I think your avatar is great!

kodiak6579
01-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks Fish, it's not even my kid, it's a pic I found on the net but every time I look at the little guy I chuckle! I've named him Ming, as in Ming the Merciless! Now back to business :) .
Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions. I guess the core of my question is the cheapest / easiest way to HP a .30 cal rifle boolit... I know some of you have stuff brewing. Anyone care to share?

Rangefinder
01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
You have the step-by-step I wrote, but it does require a few tools. If that isn't a possibility for you, the best I can offer is PM me and we can work something out for me to do it for you.

Hang Fire
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
with the Forster HP tool option, You don't really need the trimmer in order to use it–I've had good results on various boolits. I've used it with the lee trimmer shellholder held in a vice (to hold the cartridge stable), and now I'm using it with my drill press. The boolits shoot well and expand perfectly.

I tried that method and run out was horrific, must have done something wrong. Do you have a trick for keeping things on center?

Bullet Caster
01-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Where does one obtain a Forster hollow pointer? And how much do they cost? Any help would be appreciated. BC

Boolseye
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Hang Fire,
I was doing it by hand, and the shooting accuracy was good even when they looked a little off. For the most part, I was able to drill them pretty true by putting my Lee trimmer shellholder/chuck in my vice, securing the cartridge in it, and holding the forster tool in place while drilling with a cordless drill.

I now own a Chinese drill press, which makes things much easier. I secure the base in the press's vice, line everything up and tighten it down, then hold the Forster tool in place as I crank it down. Tolerances are more than adequate for my purposes, and accuracy is fine. I could probably HP 50 rounds in about 10-15 minutes.

I cast the boolits with 50/50 range lead/Pb and they mushroom like you wouldn't believe. It also makes it possible to HP any boolit that I cast. Again, I have not noticed any loss in accuracy with this method,
-jp

p.s. I purchased the Hollow Pointer from MidwayUSA. They make a 1/16" and a 1/8". I went with the 1/8" as was recommended. I think it was like $13-15.

StrawHat
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Another option

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138848

DLCTEX
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Jim from Pheonix made a 45 cal. hollowpointer for me some time back that worked well on 45 ACP and 45-70. It was a prototype and I don't know if he still produces them. A simple tool that worked well.