PDA

View Full Version : How Tight Should Gas Checks Be?

StrikerOmalley
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello Folks,

I just recently started making my own gas checks using a Freechex III die. I'm using a size .308 Lyman 174 grain flat nose mould. After applying the gas check to the base of a bullet, I can pull it off with relative ease. That being said, the .011aluminum check is still snug to the base of the bullet.

After running the boolit through my sizer die, the check is much more secure but I can still pull it off if I really try to.

Any idea if this is normal?

Thanks,

Sagebrush7
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM
The FClll tools make a slip on check simular to the Lyman check. The choice of metal thickness and sizing will determine the amount of grip is applied. Lee Push through dies will work sometimes with a double operation. Size your bullets base first into the die apply check and size again base first. Using a Lyman, RCBS or Saeco sizer does a better job in crimping aluminum checks in most cases. My Saeco sizer will actually crimp the aluminum check in place on the short stroke and then I perform the lube step.It is trial and error process. Aluminum is softer than lead and will spring back and the lead stays in place.

StrikerOmalley
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Do you find that you always seat your bullets so the gas check stays in the neck of the case? Even assuming your crimp has a very solid grasp on the base of the bullet?

Thanks,

mrbill2
01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Try some .014 aluminum. I think that's what the tool is designed to use. I never seat the check below the neck sholder junction, but that's just me.

WILCO
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
After running the boolit through my sizer die, the check is much more secure but I can still pull it off if I really try to.

It's been my experience that if you can't pull them off with your fingernail, then you're good to go. I've had no trouble with .016" aluminum sheeting. [smilie=s:

StrikerOmalley
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone.