PDA

View Full Version : PM IV Hog Hunt...

Ranch Dog
03-02-2007, 08:25 PM
The hunt is underway, Steelbanger's son Mike, just hammered a nice hog with the 1895MR (450 Marlin) and the RD TLC460-425-RF.... actually he killed two hogs with one shot from this awesome gun... here is the first one, more later...

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/PM/IV/Hunt/Mikes Hog.jpg

corvette8n
03-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Makes me wish I were there, trying out my Ranch dog .45's in my Marlin 45-70.

45 2.1
03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
About three years ago, we received a report that a bunch of wild hog hunters had turned a bunch loose in the national forest in the southern part of our state. Present day, we just heard reports from several farmers that a bunch of pigs are destroying corn crops in our county (100 miles from that national forest) and the pigs look like regular pigs (and are about 50 to 60 lbs) from what has been seen and killed. What do the wild pigs where you live look like when small? These farmers checked the whole area and had no reports of any pigs missing from pork producers. It would seem that they are going to be a bain to farmers and we will have something else to contend with along with the cougars the conservation department thoughtfully released on us. The small game population has taken a big hit from this in the last three years also. No stray cats or dogs either.

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Greetings 45 2.1,

The little piglets look just like the big ones; long black hair, long snout, and meaner than snot. The seed stock for Texas was brought along with the Spaniards that explored this area so they have been around a heck of a lot of generations.

Bass Ackward
03-03-2007, 07:31 AM
About three years ago, we received a report that a bunch of wild hog hunters had turned a bunch loose in the national forest in the southern part of our state. Present day, we just heard reports from several farmers that a bunch of pigs are destroying corn crops in our county (100 miles from that national forest) and the pigs look like regular pigs (and are about 50 to 60 lbs) from what has been seen and killed. What do the wild pigs where you live look like when small? These farmers checked the whole area and had no reports of any pigs missing from pork producers. It would seem that they are going to be a bain to farmers and we will have something else to contend with along with the cougars the conservation department thoughtfully released on us. The small game population has taken a big hit from this in the last three years also. No stray cats or dogs either.

Bob,

You should send that statement at the bottom of your posts to your game department.

It never ceases to amaze me what they will release in the name of "game protectors". But if so hunter was to bag one rabbit over the limit, why then they would soak that law breaking scum.

States are going to have to start legislating laws to rain in these tree hugging liberals and limit their actions to lengthening seasons or raising bag limits or both.

45 2.1
03-03-2007, 09:12 AM
You should send that statement at the bottom of your posts to your game department. These guys are controlled by our politicians and do not give a rats a** about us.

It never ceases to amaze me what they will release in the name of "game protectors". But if so hunter was to bag one rabbit over the limit, why then they would soak that law breaking scum. Some agenda other than the sportsmans is going on.

States are going to have to start legislating laws to rain in these tree hugging liberals and limit their actions to lengthening seasons or raising bag limits or both. Not likely to happen here.

The little piglets look just like the big ones; long black hair, long snout, and meaner than snot. The seed stock for Texas was brought along with the Spaniards that explored this area so they have been around a heck of a lot of generations. This is what was described to me about what happened when the farmers found 60 piglets in a corn field here. At what size/age do they develop those tusks?

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
This is what was described to me about what happened when the farmers found 60 piglets in a corn field here. At what size/age do they develop those tusks?

I've seen them visible on young hogs that I would estimate to be only a year old. The hog in the picture is a young sow and she had tusks about an inch long. She weighed 100 pounds.

I don't know if you have ever seen the National Geographic "Hogzila" or not but they offer a lot of information in that program. One of the points in the program is the differences in a domestic vs. wild hog of snout length, hair, etc. The most interesting thing about what they presented was that a domestic hog that goes wild will start to physically change into a wild hog within hours. They will start to grow a snout for rooting rather than remain flat-nosed for trough eating, start growing hair, and just plain go wild. This is not accomplished over a generation span or more, it is immediate. They are an extremely adaptable critter like none other.

Hogs are both a blessing and a curse. The are good to eat and fun to hunt. They tear things up and directly compete with native game for food. In most cases, they are not hunted enough. A single sow will drop a load of piglets (5-8) every 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days. So you are looking at 15 to 24 piglets being dropped by a single sow every year. It takes a lot of shooting to hold them back. You also have to get a grip on the reality that you cannot eat enough of them, quick enough to keep them in check.

45 2.1
03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm, I think the numerous coyotes are going to have trouble, along with the farmers. Thanks for the info.

Scrounger
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
How about a Cast Boolit Hog Hunt at RanchDog's Place this fall?

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 11:10 AM
How about a Cast Boolit Hog Hunt at RanchDog's Place this fall?

Scrounger, the only hunting outside my family I do on my place is this one hunt I give as a prize in the postal match. Hunting property is very tough to find in Texas so the one thing I offer all my kin is a place to hunt as long as they live by my rules (wildlife magagement plan). If I ever open the place up, it for sure will be a leveraction only hunting area :drinks:

Scrounger
03-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Just a thought, Gary. I don't hunt myself but I got the impression someone was being overrun by pigs and I thought the hunters here could have been of help. If it's someone else's ranch/farm, maybe they'd be open to the idea.

Ranch Dog
03-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Just a thought, Gary. I don't hunt myself but I got the impression someone was being overrun by pigs and I thought the hunters here could have been of help. If it's someone else's ranch/farm, maybe they'd be open to the idea.

It's my ranch Scrounger but family hunters keep things in check....

felix
03-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Wall Street was named that in NYC because of the Spanish pigs migrating north from the Carolinas were overrunning the place. Yes, they built a wall around the area of interest. ... felix

nighthunter
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Has to be a lot of fun busting one of those big porkers. I like to see pictures of and read the stories of some of the people here successes in their shooting and hunting. Definately better than going to work.
Nighthunter

Onlymenotu
03-03-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm about 40 miles south of Springfield and in the last 2 or 3 years the have been several * at least 4 or 5* reported incedents at least 2 car-truck v.s. pig accdients and 2 pigs found froze to death........ these were printed in the local newspapers..... the DNR is investagating :roll:

Just Like there are no WOLF's in the state so the DNR said,,, till a couple were shot in the last couple years....now they protected

it'll be the same for the big cat's....deny deny... till some one shoots one or two and then they'll go on the protected list

and we always hear reports of elk being turned loose down in your area... car or truck v.s. deer is bad enuff don't think i'm intrested in elk v.s. car or truck :shock:

45 2.1
03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm about 40 miles south of Springfield and in the last 2 or 3 years the have been several * at least 4 or 5* reported incedents at least 2 car-truck v.s. pig accdients and 2 pigs found froze to death........ these were printed in the local newspapers..... the DNR is investagating :roll:

Just Like there are no WOLF's in the state so the DNR said,,, till a couple were shot in the last couple years....now they protected

it'll be the same for the big cat's....deny deny... till some one shoots one or two and then they'll go on the protected list

and we always hear reports of elk being turned loose down in your area... car or truck v.s. deer is bad enuff don't think i'm intrested in elk v.s. car or truck :shock:

The Elk report I heard came from a conservation officer and he said several pairs of Mountain Elk (a smaller variety I think) were turned loose down in Shawnee National forest. I haven't heard any more about them though. We've had wolves for the last 25 years around here. Cougars for the last 8. Our small game population is declining.

Steelbanger
03-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I was the lucky winner of the PM IV Hog Hunt at Ranch Dogs ranch. My son & I enjoyed ourselves because RD and his family made it so pleasant to be there. As hunting sometime goes, I didn't see any hogs but was happy that my son saw a group of them and flattened a nice one with RD's cast bullet. RD, thanks again for the great time.

I would encourage everyone to enter Ranch Dogs Postal Match V. Great, friendly competition and all targets submitted have a chance to be drawn for the Hog Hunt. A bonus of this match is that it really prepares you for the fall hunting seasons. The rules are easy to understand and comply with. And, if you're the lucky winner of the hunt I can guarantee you'll have a great time.