PDA

View Full Version : .35Rem Marlin XLR won't fire

357Mag
01-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Howdy !

I bought my 2y.o. Marlin XLR .35REM brand new, unfired. It was made in CT.
It has always had a wonderfully light trigger pull.

I have only/am only shooting reduced loads in it. About 250rnd shot, so far.

At first, when I had bullets seated too far out, I had to watch for adequate lever-lock-up, and adjust bullet seating depth/cartridge oal accordingly; to ensure safe
lock-up margin for the lever. Even then, every once-in-a-while... I'd have to re-cock the hammer; after closing the bolt.

During my most recent range trip, the frequency of my having to re-cock the hammer became an issue:

The first thing I noticed was: TWICE while shooting next bench to a guy with a
.300Ultra Mag and muzzle brake; HIS muzzle blast dropped the hammer on
MY rifle.... w/o me even having a chance to pull the trigger. The gun did not fire, just got hammer drop ( due to no trigger pull having been made ).

Next thing I noticed was: 4 seperate times that I DID pull the trigger; the hammer DID drop, but I got no " bang".... and there was no dent in those primers.

At first, I tried re-seating the bullets in my loads deeper. I then decided to try cocking the rifle with the chamber empty. This showed that the situation had worsened to the point where I could not get the hammer to cock and stay cocked; whether by lever operation or by manual thumb actuation.

The only other unusual thing I encountered, was that twice the hammer would ride up-into the recess underneath the bolt, and lock-up the gun when I tried to operate the lever & close the bolt. That had never happened before.

My Q's:
- Does this sound like a " Trigger Safety Block " / "Spring " issue ?
- Does this sound like a " Hammer " engagement notch / "Spring " issue ?
- Does this sound like a "Locking Bolt " verticle travel issue ?

What sayest thou ?

With regards,
357Mag

ammohead
01-02-2012, 12:57 AM
It could be that after being exposed to the ultramag that your marlin is having subconscious inadequacy issues. Keep taking it to the range and telling it that size really doesn't matter. He will come around.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

MBTcustom
01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Wow, I have never seen troubles like these. I would almost venture to say that there is something loose inside. Can you post pictures?
That's a fairly new rifle. I would just send it back to the factory.

Mk42gunner
01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
It sounds like a hammer notch/ sear nose engagement issue to me, and maybe a light mainspring.

Robert

357Mag
01-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Howdy !

Goodsteel....I'm not sure I wanna send the Marlin to Remington for a potential fix.
They'd probably end-up making the gun " OSHA Approved ".

Mk42 - Thanx also for your input. The hammer engagement notch and sear "toe" scenarios you present were also areas I have wondered about.

No pics, as yet. I have not had time to dis-assemble the XLR.

Film @ 11:00......

357Mag