PDA

View Full Version : Did I make an UhhOh today??

parrott1969
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I could have bought an Umberti 45 colt today for $330 dollars with the original box. In 95% plus condition. Did I mess up or did I do the right thing by walking away?

MtGun44
01-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Depends entirely on things like you much you think you need one versus how much you
think you need $330.

Personally, I'd have walked by, also, my needs in that dept are filled. I think that is a
fairly good price, but not absolutely sure. It's always pretty hard for one person to know
if a certain gun is "a deal" for someone else.

Bill

jh45gun
01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
That is a good price That is what I paid for mine about two years ago in the same shape with the box and I felt I got a deal. Guns are selling higher in price now then back then. If it is where you can go back and get it I would.

subsonic
01-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Lots on gunbroker for $250 new right now... You tell me.

jh45gun
01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Lots on gunbroker for $250 new right now... You tell me.

Sure if it is those ones with the Matt finish they were not that expensive new and the guy selling them on gun broker said he got them on a deal and is selling them below dealer cost. The matt finish ones are no way as nice as the Cattleman with the good bluing and case coloring. Plus anything you buy on gun broker your paying for shipping and to a FFL which is gonna cost you extra. It cost me 43 bucks for a transfer fee and the back ground check on the handgun I just bought from a friend and it cost him 45 to ship it from a ffl.

subsonic
01-02-2012, 12:32 AM
I can get one of those to my door for under $300 no problem. This post does not specify what kind of Uberti, so I can only assume which one it is, and I can tell you that a lot of people know about the ones on GB and they are not selling very fast, but will be in the back of the mind of any person shopping for any Uberti SA and bring the value of all of them down while available. It's basic supply, demand, and perception.

wellfedirishman
01-02-2012, 01:10 AM
It depends where in the country you are. Here in CA getting one of those Uberti Cattleman 45s for $330 would be a steal. Some of the cowboy action shooters I know use Ubertis and seem quite happy with them.

I have some Uberti black-powder guns and the quality is excellent.

jh45gun
01-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Those Matt ones maybe fine but they look cheap compared to the good finished Uberti handguns. The matt ones are a entry level SA compared to the nicer ones. Even the feel of them are different. I looked at Cabelas they used to sell them now they do not list them. I suspect most folks would rather have the nicer finished ones. I know I did. I do not think the better ones are being given away as was stated the Cowboy crowd really like them.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Save your money for what you really want, I'd have walked away.

warf73
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
A slight subject change, what would it cost to put an adjustable sight on the pistol?

MtGun44
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Depending on how adjustable and exactly which sight, from merely LOTS to LOTS and LOTS. Needs a
new, much taller front sight which involves a ramp in most situations. ANYTHING is possible,
but not all things are financially reasonable. MUCH more than selling one and buying a BH
with adj. sights from the factory. But then again, if you have to have a Uberti with adjustable
sights. . . . . .

Bill Gates can have pretty much ANYTHING he wants. Most of the rest of us have to work on
some trade-offs. The more money you have to throw at a particular issue, the more like
you want it you will get.

Bill

parrott1969
01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, I still do not know if I should pat myself on the back or bend over and let the wife kick the snot out of me. So confused.

9.3X62AL
01-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I liked the Uberti 45 Colt (4.75") I once had. It shot well and the sights and barrel looked in the same direction. If another one came along at $330, I'd likely buy it--as said above, in CA that's a pretty decent buy.

Skinny 1950
01-03-2012, 12:54 AM
Guns cost a lot more in Canada,here is a picture of an Uberti Cattleman .45 Colt with 5 1/2 inch barrel with the "antiqued" finish..I got it un-fired but a couple of years old for $600.00 they normally sell for $750.00:

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/Skinny1950/New45Colt013.jpg

jh45gun
01-03-2012, 01:55 AM
They make a Uberti with adjustable sights

But it is a 44 mag. They make a 38 special one too or a 22.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_cattleman_callahan_steel_target_lg.jpg

Too bad they do not make it in 45 well they do if you want a buntline not my cup of tea.

I got to say my 45 shoots well Point to aim with 250 to 255 grain bullets.

gandydancer
01-03-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm with silver jack Hammer. walk away. save your money and get a better one a USFA--colt-- a Ruger you can load up and shoot forever.

jh45gun
01-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Forever is a BS term any gun will wear out over time and depending on usage. There is nothing wrong with Uberti. I have had Rugers that were not perfect by any means either.

9.3X62AL
01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
The Uberti "Pasta SAA" I spoke of was replaced by a Ruger BisHawk, and the Ruger required that I hone the cylinder throats before it behaved correctly--unlike the Uberti. Just sayin'.

USFA and Colt SAA cost more than twice what a Uberti repro runs. I'm not sure that you get twice the quality for your money, but finish is superior for sure. There's not an iota of difference in strength between the three makes, though. Not that it matters much--a 45 caliber boolit weighing 250 grains and clocking 900 FPS+ will make venison or flatten malefactors quite capably, and has been doing so for almost 140 years.

Skinny--nice pic of a REALLY NICE revolver.

gandydancer
01-04-2012, 03:17 AM
I mean to upset no one on here about what they like or what they own you say you like a uberti? fine. that's your choice. I don't like any make of import single action I don't care who makes it. that's my choice. and for a few dollers more what another $100.00 you can buy an american made ruger and it is much stronger then the other two and much stronger then a uberti. and forever is a BS term if your useing a import. BUY AMERICAN. PS and yes sometimes you have to do a little work on a ruger SA that's very true. I have in 50 years of owning ruger revolvers never sent one back for repairs and I have owned a lot of them over the years. still have a few today. Gandy.

jh45gun
01-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I have owned LOT of Rugers over the years too and I got so fed up with them that I do not own any anymore and doubt I will ever go back. 10'22's for the most part were average plinkers my Marlin 22's out shoot them as does my Henry 22 Mag. I have had 4 Ruger SA's Two Single Sixes and Two 44 Blackhawks. Two were a joy and I should have never let them go and two were terrible. 50% is not a good average. Even the MK series I had a clunker and they normally shoot well. I have went on to other brands and found none of the grief I had with SOME Rugers not saying they are all bad the good ones are good but no one should have to gunsmith a gun from the factory either.

pdawg_shooter
01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
25years as a dealer and I sent more Rugers back than all other brands I sold. Most came back as being "within specs" and I had to fix them myself to keep the customer happy. Sounds like a new Marlin now but Ruger has been doing it for 30+ years.

jh45gun
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Guess I am lucky Pdawg my Marlin Guide gun is a very nice lever gun but then I bought it before the change of hands came along too. I have not shot any new Marlin 22's My two 22 Marlin Bolt guns are Marlin 80's A Sears branded one and a Marlin 80 DL. Both are tack drivers but if some one is gonna say well a bolt gun over a semi auto The few Marlin 60's and their kin that I have shot and the one Marlin 60 I owned out shot any 10/22 I owned except for the target model I had and that was too darn heavy for my likes. But I agree with you with Rugers and issues my local gun shop has sent back enough as well. I would still have the 60 but I wanted my Uberti 45 more then the 60 so I used the 60 for trading stock along with a Encore barrel and 50 bucks cash.

pdawg_shooter
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I have 5 Marlins and all are great guns, but all are at least 5 tears old. I ones people are calling Remlins are, for the most part, bad. I have looked at over a dozen so far and only 2 were what I would call usable. Most people who brag about their 1022s have replaced the barrel, the stock, and the trigger group. Explain to me how that is a Ruger anymore.

jh45gun
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree on the 10/22 part and like I said guess I am lucky the Guide Gun I bought was still made in the old factory and marked as such.

gandydancer
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
jh45gun I hear you. I once purchased a new colt 45 acp in the early 90's in ct and carried it with out test fireing it 1st. I was working in new haven ct in a real bad area know for drug dealers. I had a pitbull charge me from about 150 yrds in a parking lot. at about 75 yrds I had him in my sights and was holding when the owner came out from between some cars and stopped him and begged me not to shoot. I was glad I did not have to. the next day went to shoot it to make a long story short. no fireing pin--new colt pistol. one PO dog. one dumbutt me. if I buy any firearm now new or used I shoot it ASAP Getch

jh45gun
01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
jh45gun I hear you. I once purchased a new colt 45 acp in the early 90's in ct and carried it with out test fireing it 1st. I was working in new haven ct in a real bad area know for drug dealers. I had a pitbull charge me from about 150 yrds in a parking lot. at about 75 yrds I had him in my sights and was holding when the owner came out from between some cars and stopped him and beged me not to shoot. I was glad I did not have to. the next day went to shoot it to make a long story short. no fireing pin--new colt pistol. one PO dog. one dumbutt me. if I buy any firearm now new or used I shoot it ASAP Getch

Wise decision I Traded for the last SS I had at a gun shop and for the 44 mag partial trade partial cash at the same gun shop I think I had that one on layaway if I remember right.Anyway by the time i got both of them there was several feet of snow on the ground and cold winter had set in, in WI so I waited until spring to shoot both of them. Both were bad shooters could be partially why they were both on the used shelf at the gun shop. I took them back then but I had had them too long to complain and get a refund so I traded them both off at a loss of course and went forward and vowed that I would never buy a Ruger again unless I could shoot it first.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I got real Colt SAA's for fun, and Cimarrons for SASS. And a pair of the Navy Arms Schofields for spares.

Since Bill Sr died, the bean counters have taken over, and their mantra is "how can we make this cheaper and get away with it?'

gandydancer
01-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I must admit I know longer buy new ruger rifles. its just to much work to make them shoot right. and I don't mean to upset anyone but its a pig in a poke some shoot great right out of the box and others are a nightmare. and I do carry the LCR and I want to shoot their new 1911 45 ACP just about all the old ruger guns from 30/40 years ago where pretty darn good. and your right sense Bill & Tom died its not the same. and Bill jr?? who knows where he is?? GD