PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned - good casting day

Finnmike
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Had some sun today so broke out the Lee pot and cast up some boolits for my 03A3. Today I used 2/3 WW and 1/3 range scrap lead, and added pewter for the first time. What a difference! With the pot running at 5.5 setting, I was casting filled-out boolits in 5 minutes. Got the timing down too - fill mold, wait 5 seconds, palm off the sprue plate, wait another 5 or more, and the boolits just dropped out. I had Lee-mented the 312-185R after my last crummy cast, and it made all the difference. Nothing mysterious, just long-established principles put into use. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences here to get me into the "swing" or mold, that is...

Bullet Caster
01-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Good for you. It's nice to know someone is enjoying the sport and casting. The only way I knew to start out is just get your feet "wet" but not with lead. The more casting sessions you have the better you'll do. It works for me. BC

Mk42gunner
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Finnmike, good on you.

The pewter added a bit of tin for better fillout.

People gripe about Lee molds, (and I admit they could be better) but the last time I ran my 312-185, it was raining boolits too. When you hit that sweet spot that a mold likes, it is hard to stop before you are out of lead.

Robert

1Shirt
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Yep, it is sort of addictive when everything runs right. AND- a PIA when it doesn't.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

milprileb
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Not a time I cast that I don't find something to improve in lay out of gear, use of gear, techniques etc.

Congrats on a good day and better ones ahead

wallenba
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Biggest lesson I learned came after learning from all the mistakes. That is...make yourself comfortable. You will be in one place for quite a while, and fatigue always dictated how many boolits I cast. I finally made an arm rest at a comfortable height for my arms ( especially my mold holding hand) and a mold rest for cool down. I could then just pivot my arm when I needed to move instead of supporting the weight of a full mold.