PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum...new to Sharps...Questions

Bigbuckeye
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Hello all,

I have been an avid Mil-surp collector for a while now, 1903's, 1917's, Krags, Garands, 1911's....etc.. But this is my first foray outside that world.

I just ordered a Pedersoli Sharps "Quigley" and I have been scouring the internet for all the information that I can find.

I do not currently reload so I am going to start out with factory smokeless and save my brass.

I don't even have it yet, and I am already looking for modifications. I have pretty much decided on the Kelley Soule rear sight and Globe front sight, but I have a few questions.

1) Can these sights be used for a distance of 100 yards or will they only work for longer distances?

2) On Pedersolis web sight, they say that the rear tang is drilled and tapped for the sights, can I assume that the Kelley will work...that these sights are basically universal?

3) Does the front sight have to be installed by a Gunsmith?

Thanks, and I would appreciate any and all comments..

DHB
01-02-2012, 01:26 AM
1) Can these sights be used for a distance of 100 yards or will they only work for longer distances?

2) On Pedersolis web sight, they say that the rear tang is drilled and tapped for the sights, can I assume that the Kelley will work...that these sights are basically universal?

3) Does the front sight have to be installed by a Gunsmith?

1)It depends on the sight tower and front sight. I use most of mine at 100 yards or less. I would think who you order it from can tell you. Just get the right height for what you're going to do.

2)Tangs are drilled and taped at different spacing, IT IS NOT UNIVERSAL. Find out from Perdersoli what that spacing is and order a sight to fit. My guess is it's probably the spacing of an original American spacing. Spacing equals the distance between screws, center to center.

3) You should be able to install the front sight. Tap the original out with a brass rod and tap the new front sight in. As the barrel/muzzle is pointing away from you I believe you tap out to the right.

Congrats on the Sharps, they are fun.
DHB

Chill Wills
01-02-2012, 02:40 AM
1) Can these sights be used for a distance of 100 yards or will they only work for longer distances? Yes, no problem

2) On Pedersolis web sight, they say that the rear tang is drilled and tapped for the sights, can I assume that the Kelley will work...that these sights are basically universal? The Kelley will work. Kelley makes bases for all rifles and the staff fits the base. The tang sight-base hole spacing on the pedersoli sharps is the same as the Winchester. When you buy/order your sights order them for Pedersoli (tell them what rifle you have) so the base hole spacing, wrist angle and screw thread correct. They do this for a living, no big deal to get it right.
3) Does the front sight have to be installed by a Gunsmith? No. You can drift it in and will want to drift it again when sighting it for a no wind zero…. With your rear sight on “zero”. Pick a no wind day and close in on it.

Hope this helps, BPCR is great fun. Be sure to try the smokey powder!

Bigbuckeye
01-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Helps a lot! Thank you both......definitely going to shoot black powder through it..

6.5 mike
01-02-2012, 07:03 PM
You might as well start selling the mil-surps off now, single shot rifles are , if antyhing, more addicting. Just ask me how I know :kidding:.

Your are going to enjoy this trip. I have.

NickSS
01-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Welcome to the world of single shot rifles and black powder shooting. It is totally addicting and lots of fun besides. The guys on this forum can help with any questions you have or a search of the forum for info will usually get you what you need. Kelly sights are excellent and I have several friends that have them on more than one rifle.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the world of single shot rifles and black powder shooting. It is totally addicting and lots of fun besides.

Amen brother; I only ever wanted one 1874 Sharps:bigsmyl2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture029.jpg