PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 Rear dovetail question

greenmntranger
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Picked up a Rossi 92 a while back with a tang site and the rear site removed and no where to be found. Really dont like the tang site and want to put a rear site back on it. So out come the calipers and I find the DT measures .398 on the right hand side and .375 on the left.

I cant recall ever measuring a dt cut and getting two diff. measurments but I dont do it often so maybe I did and just disremember a bit;-)

I have read that the newer Rossi's have a diferent DT cut size than older ones but I only have the one so no comparison. If it matters, mine has a 24 inch barrel that is a half octagon with a serial # lower than 60000

First question, is it common for a DTD cut to have different measurments as described,?

Second question, where might I find a rear site to fit?

Pepe Ray
01-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Good news/bad news.
I'm told that the newer Rossi's have American standard dovetails IE. 3/8 +/-.
All of my older ones have the same as yours, Grand canyon wide. I bubber mine 'cause I use Peep sights exclusively. It's been said that Brownells has blanks /sights to fit them. Maybe so.
Don't let it discourage you . The guns are worth it.
Pepe Ray

LUCKYDAWG13
01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
you might find the sight you need at numrich gun parts

greenmntranger
01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
so what side mounted peep might fit?

runfiverun
01-02-2012, 01:31 AM
it's a 92 but you gotta have it drilled and tapped.

Geobru
01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Try Steves Gunz. http://store.stevesgunz.com/

He specializes in Rossi 92's and sells a bolt peep sight that fits into the safety hole on the top of the bolt. No D&T and very simple installation.

There are also other sights that fit the Rossi dovetail on his website.

Click on special sight link on the left to view the bolt peep and dovetail blank.

gb

greenmntranger
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Try Steves Gunz. http://store.stevesgunz.com/

He specializes in Rossi 92's and sells a bolt peep sight that fits into the safety hole on the top of the bolt. No D&T and very simple installation.

There are also other sights that fit the Rossi dovetail on his website.

Click on special sight link on the left to view the bolt peep and dovetail blank.

gb

Thanks man... that peep would be the bomb if I had a newer Rossi w/ the safety...but alas, mine has no safety[smilie=w: friken lawyers

bob208
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
you could be ok to use a replacment sight. all gun dovetails and pins are made to go in right to left. so being a little bigger on the start side would be ok.

Pepe Ray
01-02-2012, 03:51 PM
the older dovetails are pretty big. Good luck w/that.
Any standard side mounted receiver sight by Lyman,Williams,Redfield etc, made for the Marlin (old), Win. top eject will fit in standard hole spacing. Left OR RIGHT SIDE.
Pepe Ray

pmer
01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
If Stevesguns doesn't have what your'e looking for try here. I think Skinner has the bigger dove tail.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

I've a newer 92 that's drilled and tapped on the barrel for a scope mount. A rear sight for a Contender has the same bolt pattern and easily screws on the barrel. I had to use a taller front site but now have good windage adjustment.

greenmntranger
01-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Unfortunatly, my 92 is an older model with no OEM drilled/tapped holes, and no lawyer inspired safety.

my choices are limited to OEM open sights or aftermarket

I fired off an Email to stevesgunz and will wait to hear back.

Thanks for all the input everyone

GMR

wellfedirishman
01-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Greenmntranger, I have a similar older style Rossi 92 with the wide rear dovetail. I bought a Bullseye (circular) rear sight which was loose in the dovetail. I made a narrow shim out of piece of aluminum can to fit under it and push it up against the dovetail sides. It works fine and holds tight, and is barely visible.

HollowPoint
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Picked up a Rossi 92 a while back with a tang site and the rear site removed and no where to be found. Really dont like the tang site and want to put a rear site back on it. So out come the calipers and I find the DT measures .398 on the right hand side and .375 on the left.

I cant recall ever measuring a dt cut and getting two diff. measurments but I dont do it often so maybe I did and just disremember a bit;-)

I have read that the newer Rossi's have a diferent DT cut size than older ones but I only have the one so no comparison. If it matters, mine has a 24 inch barrel that is a half octagon with a serial # lower than 60000

First question, is it common for a DTD cut to have different measurments as described,?

Second question, where might I find a rear site to fit?

I can't confirm this but, I've read and heard that the reason for the slightly different dimensions are so that you can slide your rear sight in through the side with the larger measurement.

Even on CNC produced dove tails you get some variation. If you try sliding your rear sight into the tight end of your dove tail it tends to catch on the sharp edges of the male-dove-tail of your rear sight.

I removed my rear sight some time ago in order to install some DIY scope mounts. I had the factory rear sight laying around somewhere but I have yet to locate it.

I've since mounted a Marble Arms peep site and I mount a pistol scope when working up new loads. Not likely I'll ever re-install that factory rear sight.

If I can find it and your interested, I can let it go pretty cheap. Finding it will be the hard part.

HollowPoint

greenmntranger
01-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Hollow Point

thanks for the offer...let me know if you find it a shoot me a $$ amount either in this thread or PM

HollowPoint
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Hollow Point

thanks for the offer...let me know if you find it a shoot me a $$ amount either in this thread or PM

Roger That Sir:

I'll try to locate it sometime this week. If you could see the inside of my storage closet you'd know that this could get ugly.

HollowPoint

Ready on the Right
01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey Greenmntranger, I have an older Rossi '92 20" without the safety, put a tang sight on and found it got in the way on a handy carbine, so tried a Skinner Low Pro. I drilled and tapped the bolt, installed it, and wouldn't have anything else on that rifle. Doesn't get in the way, still close enough to the eye to give great advantage of the peep, looks good; can't beat 'em in my opinion.

fecmech
01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Order any rear sight that you want and go buy a cheap set of feeler gauges from Harbor Freight or somewhere like that. If the sight is loose in the dovetail try different thicknesses of feeler gauge till you get one that lets it go in about 1/3-1/2 the distance. With a pair of tin snips or scissors cut off a small piece to fit under the sight and tap them in together.

Ready on the Right
01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey, I like that idea fecmech, thanks. Now if I can just remember it next time I need it!