PDA

View Full Version : Chase method paper patching

Hang Fire
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Does anyone use the Chase method for PP? I have read it only works for breech seating the boolit first followed by a charged cartridge case.

calaloo
01-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AFIK the Chase patch was used with a false muzzle. they were used in muzzle loading breech loaders. That is to say after the patched bullet was started into the bore it was pushed down with a loading rod with a stop which seated the bullet just ahead of the chamber. The primed and powdered case was then loaded behind the bullet.

This method was used for schuetzen when black powder was still in use. By loading the bullet from the muzzle fowling was pushed our leaving a clean bore for the bullet to traverse.

Hang Fire
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought that was the cross patch used primarily for false muzzle loading and the rectangular Chase patch was used for breech loading. Where the boolit was started into the rifling and then the charged cartridge case was chambered. Think I have seen pics of rifles with pins attached for using a mechanical seater to seat the boolit to the same depth every time.

uscra112
01-09-2012, 03:05 AM
I have read it only works for breech seating the boolit first followed by a charged cartridge case.

Correct, as far as history goes. I have not ever come across any source that said otherwise. If it was tried from the muzzle at all, the people who wrote the history didn't take notice.

Dunno how much scraping of fouling had to do with it. The Schuetzen men cleaned their bores meticulously after every shot, during the time when patches were used. Later on, I have read, some of the "nekkid boolit" shooters didn't clean, and for them the scraping action was surely a feature. Harry Pope pointed out that loading from muzzle distorted the base less, which was why he advocated the breech-muzzle system.

Phil

madsenshooter
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
At Chase they use bits of $100 bills don't they?

longbow
01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/blackpowder-slug-guns-the-mitchell-gun.php

uscra112
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
At Chase they use bits of $100 bills don't they?

Hmmm, good thought. Currency paper is plenty strong, but you wouldn't want to lick it to moisten it.

Hang Fire
01-11-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/blackpowder-slug-guns-the-mitchell-gun.php

Thanks for the link Longbow, found the info very interesting.