PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Culver? conversion

BCall
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I got this powder measure in with a bunch of stuff I recently bought. It is a Lyman 55 with some kind of Culver type conversion I think. I know it was a Lyman 55 at one time, but wonder if anyone might know who did the conversion? It is marked 701 in side the top and has a screw for holding on the powder hopper or bottle, although it didn't have a hopper when I got it. Thanks for any ideas! Billy
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851840.jpg

Dan Cash
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't know anything about it but wish it were mine. I surely would learn to use it.

gandydancer
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
go to Benchrest central .com there you will find out just what it is and what its worth. GD

Kiwishooter
01-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure but it may have been made by Mr Culver himself, but I think there were another couple of people did Culver conversions on the Lyman 55 as well........Kiwi

BCall
01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
looks like its been converted to use blackpowder?

What makes you think that?

gandydancer
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
What makes you think that?
I made a wrong call on that one because of the brass it looked like you could use it for BP but I'm very wrong on that its made for benchrest

Kiwishooter
01-01-2012, 07:54 PM
BCal PM sent

Moondawg
01-01-2012, 07:59 PM
You have a benchrest collectable item there. You don't see many of those Culver conversions anymore. Jerry Hensler made similar Lyman 55 conversions about 15 years ago. His are worth upwards of $100+ now. Your measure will very accurately measure small amounts of fine grained powder up to around 30 grains. It will not do well with the larger stick powders. Most BR shooters do not weigh every charge. They weight initially to set the measure for a particular lot # of powder, and go from there using the graduations on the measure for minute changes.

Green Frog
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
The term "Culver conversion" was first applied to the Lyman #55 (and perhaps some #5) measures that were converted by Homer Culver by precisely fitting that conversion rotor to them. Others got into the act and made competing clones of the Culver, such as Jones, Bruno, and others, then along came Harrell who made a complete measure from scratch around his version of the Culver style rotor. The rest, as they say, is History! :D

Froggie