PDA

View Full Version : lyman 452 sizing die leak

hedgehorn
01-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey guys I have a Lyman 452 sizing die that leaks from the top of the piston when I use the lube heater it will spew lube from one spot if enough pressure is applied to fill the grooves in the boolit. Whats inside of these to make up that seal? Is there anything I can do to make it stop leaking? Thanks in advance. :lol:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Whats inside of these to make up that seal?

The Boolit :lol:

But seriously, it's a tight dance between temperture and pressure for some
troublesome boolit designs.

also, Maybe your boolit is undersized ?
although even if undersized, I'm sure there is a temperature/pressure where it won't leak. Trial and error...keep trying
Jon

Maven
01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Hey guys I have a Lyman 452 sizing die that leaks from the top of the piston when I use the lube heater it will spew lube from one spot if enough pressure is applied to fill the grooves in the boolit. Whats inside of these to make up that seal? Is there anything I can do to make it stop leaking? Thanks in advance. :lol:

I'm not sure of what you're referring to from the above description. Are you having a problem with the Lyman #450 Lube Sizer itself, specifically the piston rather than the .452" [H & I] sizing die? If so, first try reducing the heat and the pressure on the piston. If that doesn't work, remove the piston and examine the O rings for wear. If worn, even slightly, you may want, or need to replace them. Carefully remove them and take both the piston and O rings to your favorite home center and look for replacements. Btw, I think Lyman referred to them as "hardware store items," meaning they sometimes have them, but you can do better elsewhere.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
i would reduc the heat what kind of lube are you using

hedgehorn
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry for the poor description guys. Its leaking from the ejector rod where the boolit base sits. I am using bee's wax %50 %25 paraffin %25 Johnson's paste wax

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
If the JPW isn't reduced,
I wouldn't think you'd need any heat.
unless room temp is below 60º

also adjusting the boolit depth so the sizer die holes
line up to the lube grooves, is another good thing to do.
also, sometimes I plug the unused holes in the die for troublesome boolits.
Jon

hedgehorn
01-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks JonB what do you mean by reduced?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2012, 10:39 PM
basically...cooking some of the solvents off.
Your boolit lube doesn't need any solvents,
well maybe some to soften the lube,
since there isn't much for oil in it.

Have you used this lube before ? with success ?
if you store/age your lubed boolits,
does the lube crack and maybe fall off the boolits ?
I suspect it might...that's just a guess though.
Jon

hedgehorn
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
JonB. I have used it before and I havent had any problems with the lube falling out of the grooves. I left out one ingredient. I also add mercruiser quicksilver synthetic gear oil to the mix. About 2 oz to #1 of lube.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-02-2012, 12:03 PM
OH, well there you go...some oil.
You'll be fine...sounds like a fairly good recipe.
mine is similar...see post #93 in this thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524&page=5
Jon

hedgehorn
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes they do look similar. I am going to have to try some lanolin and perhaps getting rid of the paraffin next time.