PDA

View Full Version : More than you'll ever want know about BP

Chicken Thief
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Great writing!!!

http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

drhall762
01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Very interesting material. Thanks for the link.

shovel80
01-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Yes, Thanks...Lots of info!

Terry

cajun shooter
01-02-2012, 12:58 PM
The site that you referred to is written by Bill Knight and he is a mentor of mine.
Bill has gone by many PC handles such as the Mad Monk.
He lives in Reading ,Pa. and is the most knowledgeable man I know on the subject.
He was nice enough to send me a copy of most of his life works a few years ago. It is a work of art.
Bill has worked and preformed many test for the powder companies over the years and is considered one of the go to persons on BP.

montana_charlie
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I read the one on KIK powder, but the information is (probably) too old to be applicable to the current imported lot(s).
One thing did strike me though. Apparently the Mad Monk is familiar with the concept of volume-type black powder measures being calibrated for a weight of water ... not black powder.

CM

Hang Fire
01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
The site that you referred to is written by Bill Knight and he is a mentor of mine.
Bill has gone by many PC handles such as the Mad Monk.
He lives in Reading ,Pa. and is the most knowledgeable man I know on the subject.
He was nice enough to send me a copy of most of his life works a few years ago. It is a work of art.
Bill has worked and preformed many test for the powder companies over the years and is considered one of the go to persons on BP.

Bill is the guy who ran the comparison tests between Graf's BP and Schuetzen BP made in the same plant. He concluded they are in fact one and the same powder.

John Boy
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
One thing did strike me though. Apparently the Mad Monk is familiar with the concept of volume-type black powder measures being calibrated for a weight of water ... not black powder.
Bill is a muzzle loader only and knows that all powders have different densities!

RMulhern
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I read the one on KIK powder, but the information is (probably) too old to be applicable to the current imported lot(s).

CM

CM

+100 on that Charlie! Since Goex sold to Hodgdon I don't think that data...to a degree would apply! And as for Hodgdon.....it's my personal feeling that the only reason they purchased Goex was to exploit the name of Goex in the traditional capitalistic manner....which I have no aversion to! However.....wouldn't it be nice to have a USA COMPANY run by a true BP crank and devoted shooter that was the owner of said company??? Guess that's just too much to hope for however! The Sporting Powder aspect of Hodgdon's sales will be very thin compared to the industrial usage side so in the long run.....we really don't mean much for that matter to any company for our requirements!!:?:confused:

TXGunNut
01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I read the one on KIK powder, but the information is (probably) too old to be applicable to the current imported lot(s). -Montana Charlie

I read it too, kinda discouraging and not consistent with what I hear around here. Would be nice to know how Bill feels about the current KIK offerings.
Cajun shooter? Do you think you could get him to hang out here so we could pick his brain? I'm getting pretty good early results from KIK and I'm thinking it shows promise but he's light years ahead of me on the subject.

cajun shooter
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Bill is also the mentor of John Boy. In fact I meet him through John.
Bill is up in his age and has always been a huge bicycle enthusiast and stopped a lot of his forum hanging out.
He has visited this forum in the past to settle some one giving out incorrect information.
As far as the info that is being referred to, yes it is dated and the reason is that was during the time that Bill was working.
If you could read all of his material it would be no different than reading something from the 90's. That does not mean that it is outdated and does not contain any good usable information.
He is a very dedicated muzzle loader and that is where his interest are. That does not how ever mean that he has no knowledge of the cartridge guns which he does.
I don't think that Bill would have much interest in doing anything with the current KIK powder.
Rick, I agree with you 100% on Hodgdon. That is what I told my friend Angelo who is the Goex Distributor for all of Louisiana and Mississippi. When Hodgdon purchased Goex I felt sick at my stomach. It smelled of a corporate buy out for taking the company and bringing it down for a huge tax write off.
They have taken some of the better powders made and stopped all production on them.
I found out from a good source that they fired an entire shift that had some of the longest tenured employees at the plant. They kept one black man from the shift and he was the least experienced person there.
My question is why would the company that makes the two biggest selling products that are made as a replacement for black powder want to see that product do well.

Hang Fire
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I read the one on KIK powder, but the information is (probably) too old to be applicable to the current imported lot(s). -Montana Charlie

I read it too, kinda discouraging and not consistent with what I hear around here. Would be nice to know how Bill feels about the current KIK offerings.
Cajun shooter? Do you think you could get him to hang out here so we could pick his brain? I'm getting pretty good early results from KIK and I'm thinking it shows promise but he's light years ahead of me on the subject.

At one time he would occassionaly contribute over at "The Muzzleloading forum". Been quite a while since he last posted, but a very knowlegable man when it comes to BP.

TXGunNut
01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks, guess I have some more reading to do. I've piddled a bit with caplocks for several years but mainly just because the boom and cloud of smoke make me giggle. I'll get a little more serious about it someday, perhaps a bit of wisdom from the Mad Monk will get me more interested it it.