PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm hooked... But need a little guidence

Lizard333
01-01-2012, 03:03 PM
This last Friday I spent the entire day at Blaster62's (AL) place and got to see what swaging was all about. This guy is awesome!! He makes some bullets that are absolutely mind blowing!! Between the explaining and BS'ing, we managed to make 50 230gn jackets hollow point round nose 44's. I never realized that you could produce better than factory ammo from a press in your garage or shop! Long story short, I can't stop thinking about that process but I need a little guidance.

One of the processes that amazed me the most was that you could take a 22LR case and make 223 bullets for my AR, for use on varmints! This process is crazy!!

So obviously my next step is looking on the internet for dies to start this new found addiction. I found Corbins, at the advice of Al, and found a complete kit that I could use on my 70's era RCBS Rockchucker. The KIT-224R is a whopping 803$!! Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem buying quality equipment. My go too press is a Dillon 550B, and I buy a complete calibre conversion for every caliber I own. My problem is that I'm potentially going to spend 800$ on a system that I may or may not enjoy!!

So now I'm wondering if I should just go to his brothers site and buy a press, the Sea Girt. Seams to be just as good as his brothers, but a little cheaper. I would then buy the dies for his press and proceed on.

I remember Al talking about BTsniper's dies, saying they were pretty good, but I am not able to find a price on his dies. It looks like he uses a modified press, which also makes me think that the reloading press are not built for making bullets, as the press I saw from his was pretty heavily modified.

This brings me back to the Sea Girt press, which of course is out of stock.

So I guess what I am asking is what do you suggest I do?

1. Do I spend the 800$ on dies from Corbin, which from my understanding can be used safely on my RCBS.

2. Do I buy the dies from BTsniper, price unknown as of yet, and modify my press?

3. Buy the press from Richard, when it becomes available, and his dies, with the assumption that I will keep this crazy addiction going, and eventually need something built better than a reloading press and make my own larger caliber pistol bullets (44 mag) and eventually 308 projectiles?

If is sound nieve, it is only because my only experience with you guys here on the swaging forum is with Blaster62 and DukeinMaine. Both seem like pretty nice guys. I have spent several hour over the last couple of days immersed in the threads, but I admit it all a little overwhelming!! Spending the day with Al, was a huge eye opener, but left me wanting more!

Any help and guidance you can give me is appreciated, so please don't hesitate to comment. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

blltsmth
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I know that the first go-round on a swaging/modified reloading press can be a mind-boggling eye-opener. I got into swaging in 1988 when an uncle I had only seen twice in my entire life left my Mother and I about $2,400 in an inheritance. She split it with me and I spent about $1,100 on Corbin equipment which, even back then was expensive. I still use his Silver Press and my rockchucker with some of his reloading press dies. You can never spend too much for quality equipment. In todays' economy, I would buy whatever interests me to start with and then upgrade it as I go. Used swaging equipment brings almost new prices on todays markets, so you probably will not get burned whichever route you choose. I've been at it for the last 23 years and am still learning as I go. Just my 2 cents worth

Reload3006
01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
All I can tell you is carefully choose your options. Personally I went with RCE Richard My reasons were He was cheaper than his brother Dave and he is the guy that designed all of his brothers gear too. I have never used BTs gear but it sure looks good. I have however used Larry Blackmons gear it is good just not as robust as RCE gear. I went with the Wallnut hill press a little more money but can be used for a lot more than the Seagirt. I have found it to be very user friendly and well built IMO it is well worth what Richard is asking for it. I had read on other sites that the wait for his gear was a very long time. I have not found that to be true he has gotten my orders to me in a few months. But understand Ricard is the sole guy at RCE he personally makes everything he sells so it could be a while. I have been very happy with every thing I have purchased from Richard. He does not however sell Reloading press dies. I think Larry blackmon still does it all depends on what you are looking for. I personally didnt like the idea of hammer whooping my bullets out of the dies yep you can add a monstrous contraption to your press to make it auto eject but its ugly as hell. It works though. I guess it all depends on what you want to do how much you want to spend. IMO however if you "Like" reloading you will love swaging. If you just reload as a matter of saving money you probably will not like swaging. Good luck weigh all your options and go from there. There are lots of options and price ranges

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2012, 04:03 PM
BT's dies are excellent,
I have 2 sets.
regarding prices, BT has a sticky
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117577
It looks like a set is $475...but please read the details of what that includes or doesn't include.
send him a PM, he'll answer any question you got.

I use a Lee classic cast single stage press for my swaging needs.
I did replace the Upper Ram insert so I could use threaded base punches,
instead of a shell holder adaptor type base punch.
the neat thing is that with the Lee press it is easy to switch
back and forth with the upper ram insert so you don't
have a dedicated press.
I have not modified the linkage...and don't see the need to do so,
unless you have a bum shoulder or other disablity.
Jon

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1683.jpg

458win
01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Looks like RCE has the WH hill and 22 RF jacket dies in stock. I would go with that setup.

If your starting from scratch its a little extra coin for the Swage press but worth it. I think the only way you can wreck one is by doing something WAY overboard. Regular reloading presses work but seems you have a few breakdowns here and there. Welcome to the dark side :D

newcastter
01-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I purchased a set of DanR 22LR dies for $300 as my first set of swaging dies and I am hooked on swaging, and his dies are of good quality, the only thing lacking is a uniform point but you can modify that on your own.
BT's dies look really good as well just his were not available when I was ready to buy, his bullet tips look great and even the ogive looks awesome.
You can use either of the 2 die sets on a regular reloading press no need for modifying anything until you are ready to speed things up or quiet them down.

BLASTER62
01-01-2012, 05:15 PM
This last Friday I spent the entire day at Blaster62's (AL) place and got to see what swaging was all about. This guy is awesome!! He makes some bullets that are absolutely mind blowing!! Between the explaining and BS'ing, we managed to make 50 230gn jackets hollow point round nose 44's. I never realized that you could produce better than factory ammo from a press in your garage or shop! Long story short, I can't stop thinking about that process but I need a little guidance.

One of the processes that amazed me the most was that you could take a 22LR case and make 223 bullets for my AR, for use on varmints! This process is crazy!!

So obviously my next step is looking on the internet for dies to start this new found addiction. I found Corbins, at the advice of Al, and found a complete kit that I could use on my 70's era RCBS Rockchucker. The KIT-224R is a whopping 803$!! Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem buying quality equipment. My go too press is a Dillon 550B, and I buy a complete calibre conversion for every caliber I own. My problem is that I'm potentially going to spend 800$ on a system that I may or may not enjoy!!

So now I'm wondering if I should just go to his brothers site and buy a press, the Sea Girt. Seams to be just as good as his brothers, but a little cheaper. I would then buy the dies for his press and proceed on.

I remember Al talking about BTsniper's dies, saying they were pretty good, but I am not able to find a price on his dies. It looks like he uses a modified press, which also makes me think that the reloading press are not built for making bullets, as the press I saw from his was pretty heavily modified.

This brings me back to the Sea Girt press, which of course is out of stock.

So I guess what I am asking is what do you suggest I do?

1. Do I spend the 800$ on dies from Corbin, which from my understanding can be used safely on my RCBS.

2. Do I buy the dies from BTsniper, price unknown as of yet, and modify my press?

3. Buy the press from Richard, when it becomes available, and his dies, with the assumption that I will keep this crazy addiction going, and eventually need something built better than a reloading press and make my own larger caliber pistol bullets (44 mag) and eventually 308 projectiles?

If is sound nieve, it is only because my only experience with you guys here on the swaging forum is with Blaster62 and DukeinMaine. Both seem like pretty nice guys. I have spent several hour over the last couple of days immersed in the threads, but I admit it all a little overwhelming!! Spending the day with Al, was a huge eye opener, but left me wanting more!

Any help and guidance you can give me is appreciated, so please don't hesitate to comment. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

I did not think that check I gave you would get me that much praise:p Thanks for the kind word's

BLASTER62
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I will be at the Shot Show the17th 20th will be talking to Dave Corbin and others. I will be coming back with a lot of info on our craft, as well as shipping & production times. Maybe some free stuff? If any one need's some info on something feel free to PM or post your need's Blaster

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

GRUMPA
01-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey Lizard if you feel like going in the other direction I'll give you directions to my place. Yeah I swage to but boy is it time consuming.

GRUMPA
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Also look in this section on the 40 to 45 review I did awhile back..

MightyThor
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I may be a little behind, but I don't think BT has his 22 dies on the market yet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I may be a little behind, but I don't think BT has his 22 dies on the market yet.

BT is taking orders, last I talked to him, he was talkin' about a 3 month turnaround time. Mostly due to sending out dies for Hardening.

If you read the sticky, he lists calibers .204 to .500

Yeah .204 Baby !

BT Sniper
01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I spent my free time during the holiday working with the 22 cal die, specificaly the point form die. I have one now that looks very good. I have made a few hundred bullets with it and will be loading them up these week looking to get out and test shoot them ASAP!

I have some sample bullets made by others from both Corbin and Blackmon dies. I maybe a bit bias but for a set of dies that work in a regular reloading press I think I have a very good set of dies to offer. Corbins are top notch too I'm sure as the bullet looks good but as I understand it you will need his expensive press for the dies to work. Blackmon has good reviews ( I like the look of mine or cobins bullet better, could just be the processed used that made the blackmon bullet?) of course to use his dies you need to alter a reloading press too.

I have actually been able to sucessfully eject these little 22 bullets with a light mallet so one could use my dies "as is" in any decent reloading press. I had to perfect my lapping technique for this to work. It requires a "perfect" finish to the die that's for sure! I would certainly recomend the auto ejector for best results and increased production rate of course.

I'll post some comparison pics of the bullets I have as soon as I can. Swaging bullets is a fun process for sure. Takes time no doubt, but the ability to make any weight bullet you want is very cool! Which ever route you take I'm sure you will have a good experience learing to swage your own. What better hobby could there be? There is certainly worse things we could do with our spare time and money.

Simple break down with estamated costs from what I have read, heard or seen for a set of 22 cal dies....

$500 Blackmon with press conversion (don't know if this comes with core swage die?)

$575 BTSniper three die set. Does not include core swage die. Add $125 for recomended auto ejector. Very good core swage die is availble from member here for under $100

$800 Corbin complete die set. Add $400-$800 for whatever his press is going for now days.

I think these prices are pretty close or in the ball park of current going rate, anyone feel free to chime in on the current prices. My prices are set for the moment.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

458win
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Corbin cheap press is $600! Yikes!

I spent my free time during the holiday working with the 22 cal die, specificaly the point form die. I have one now that looks very good. I have made a few hundred bullets with it and will be loading them up these week looking to get out and test shoot them ASAP!

I have some sample bullets made by others from both Corbin and Blackmon dies. I maybe a bit bias but for a set of dies that work in a regular reloading press I think I have a very good set of dies to offer. Corbins are top notch too I'm sure as the bullet looks good but as I understand it you will need his expensive press for the dies to work. Blackmon has good reviews ( I like the look of mine or cobins bullet better, could just be the processed used that made the blackmon bullet?) of course to use his dies you need to alter a reloading press too.

I have actually been able to sucessfully eject these little 22 bullets with a light mallet so one could use my dies "as is" in any decent reloading press. I had to perfect my lapping technique for this to work. It requires a "perfect" finish to the die that's for sure! I would certainly recomend the auto ejector for best results and increased production rate of course.

I'll post some comparison pics of the bullets I have as soon as I can. Swaging bullets is a fun process for sure. Takes time no doubt, but the ability to make any weight bullet you want is very cool! Which ever route you take I'm sure you will have a good experience learing to swage your own. What better hobby could there be? There is certainly worse things we could do with our spare time and money.

Simple break down with estamated costs from what I have read, heard or seen for a set of 22 cal dies....

$500 Blackmon with press conversion (don't know if this comes with core swage die?)

$575 BTSniper three die set. Does not include core swage die. Add $125 for recomended auto ejector. Very good core swage die is availble from member here for under $100

$800 Corbin complete die set. Add $400-$800 for whatever his press is going for now days.

I think these prices are pretty close or in the ball park of current going rate, anyone feel free to chime in on the current prices. My prices are set for the moment.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

Grandpas50AE
01-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Corbins R series dies are designed for reloading presses and worked very well for me when I was getting started in swaging many years ago. Having said that, going up in size to .30 cal or larger, particularly with long ogive deep jacket bullets, the standard ram on the RCBS would not take the force without deforming. If you can afford a swaging press it is a good investment, since you can later add larger calibers and a multitude of bullet designs without worrying about the press being able to do the job.

I have seen the pictures of BT's bullets swaged from used brass for jackets, and I have been impressed enough that I will end up getting a set one of these days soon (probably after tax time), so there are many options available that weren't there when I started long ago.

Once you get into swaging, it ends up being another hobby-within-a-hobby.

Reload3006
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I think your prices are a little exaggerated to make yours look better Just an observation.
RCE Walnut hill press 435. and you can reload with it too
Sea Girt press 295.
RockChucker Conversion From Dr. Blackmon 95.00
Bullet Swaging Supply Press From Dr. Blackmon 150.00 and his dies are 380. for a 3 die set

Lizard333
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Who is this Blackmon? I did a search and wasn't able to find much. Im leaning towards the walnut hill press because I don't think I should be modifying a perfectly good reloader to do something it wasn't designed for. It's a little more than I want to spend but I would rather pay for something once than get something I'll have to upgrade later.

Couple of questions. Can you use brass as a jacket in other dies like Corbin's or RCE dies?

How are you guys trimming the brass? Al had mentioned a pinch die. This seems like the most accurate and simple way.

Where are you guys getting your 22lr brass? I found quite a few sites that sell the 9mm and 40 brass cheap, but it doesn't look as though anyone sells it in bulk.

Thanks for all the help guys!

alfloyd
01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I can get you all the 22 Long Rifle brass you want. Cost is $2.00 per pound (scrap price for brass) plus shipping. There is 700 cases in a pound of 22 LR.

The Dr. Blackburn press conversion includes a swage ram, a floating punch holder and a pin to put in a hole you drill in the press body. I have one and I like it. It gives you an auto-eject system for the Rock Chuck press.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I will see if I can help.

Lafaun

BT Sniper
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I think your prices are a little exaggerated to make yours look better Just an observation.
RCE Walnut hill press 435. and you can reload with it too
Sea Girt press 295.
RockChucker Conversion From Dr. Blackmon 95.00
Bullet Swaging Supply Press From Dr. Blackmon 150.00 and his dies are 380. for a 3 die set

Dosen't look like I'm that far off, it was just "estamates" as I said.

Blackmon $475 instead of $500 and what about D. Corbins press prices? That's who I was thinking about. Is the corbin brother's dies interchangable between their two or three different presses?

MIBULLETS
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Lizard333 - yes, you can use brass for jackets in both of the Corbin dies.

If you want info for Larry Blackmon, you need to email or call him. I do have a PDF of his price list. If you are interested PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Reload3006
01-02-2012, 07:37 PM
You can use D Corbin dies or "S" and "M" dies in the walnut hill and Sea girt press with the Adapter kit. D Corbin is insanely expensive almost 200 more than RCE gear. But it should be said that Walnut hill dies will not work in D Corbin stuff. Richard will make you dies for the S press and M press but he charges more for doing it. Its understandable as its all special setup. He has or had a couple sets of dies in stock for the CSP2 mega mite.

Larry Blackmon owns a company called Bullet Swaging Supply. He doesn't do on line if you want this flier PM me I will send you a PDF of it.

Swageocast
01-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Dave Corbins S. Series Press "can" use the old Mity Mite Dies that Dave Corbin has marketed for the last 35 years. This Press Today costs $600.00

I say "can" because you have to do alittle change out with the point form die ejection pins to work with the newest S. Series presses.

This S. Series press also can use his "Newer S. Series Dies" which are alittle stronger & ,,can use alittle harder lead as a core. These dies WILL NOT WORK in a reloading press !

The S. Series Press can also use Reloading type swaging dies using the reloading adapter that comes with each press.

His Hydro Press series "Hydraulic" powered presses use his H. Series Dies which are Bigger & Stronger than the S. Series or Reloading series Dies. Hydro presses runs between 4 to 8 thousand dollers not including dies. "These H. Series Dies , DON'T fit the S. Series Presses"

Corbins Mega Mite Hand Powered Press which will Costs over $1000.00 with shipping #75 lb.,,this press can use all of Corbins Dies from Reloading all the way to the Hydro Series Dies.

As Reload3006 mentions above RCE Richard Corbins presses and dies are there own animal and the Dies will NOT fit David Corbins presses . Richard Corbins Presses have an Adapter available to accept David Corbins S. Dies, the M. dies and I think will also accept reloading type dies with an adapter.

I Think thats the way it all works,,,,YEA alittle confusing heh !!!