PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Remington Model 700 VTR

mtnman31
01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm considering getting a Remington Model 700 VTR in either .22-250 or .308 Win. For those unfamiliar with the rifle; it is a model 700 with synthetic stock and unique, triangular shaped barrel with a machined-in muzzle break. They weigh about 7.5 pounds and seem to be commonly available for around 700$. I'm sure I could shop around a bit and save a few bucks.

If I go with the .308, my first choice, it will be to replace my general purpose hunting rifle.

I'm interested in the .22-250 but it is a distant second place. I don't like the 1:14 twist rate that the rifle comes with. I think that the 1:14 twist would corner me into using the lighter bullets. I'd prefer the faster twist allowing me to use a wider variety of bullets. The rifle would be used for paper targets, gophers and coyotes.

I'd like to get anyone's experiences with the VTR rifle both good and bad. I know it isn't their top seller but from all I have seen it looks to be a good rifle for the money. I noticed that Remington discontinued their XHR rifle (long action version of VTR) so, that tells me they weren't a popular seller.

mtnman31
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Nobody???

gandydancer
01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I can get you all the information on your remington 700 VTR but not until sat night the 7th my buddy works for remington and flys all over the country tunning up remington police rifles and he will be back by then I'll ask him. GD

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
they are great things, I came close to buying one ( I have several Remingtons). Two iof my mates have them, they are tack drivers and balance well, better than a heavy barrel, but they are noisy!

I wanted one in 17 Remington Fireball. I think that I would be lopping the brake off. There are three at the local gunshop, they were selling for $1400 here, but are a bit cheaper now. If he had of had a 17 in stock, I would have wilted and bought one, but he has ax204s and a 243. I want the 17 for fox skins and the 204 would be a bit damaging. I don't need a 243 as I have a 240Wby and more rifles than I can poke a stick at. The 17 would sorely tempt me. The cheap 700s shoot well, the deluxe one even better.

gandydancer
01-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Howdy FF of D I understand it was hard to own firearms in Australia?? Guess not HUH? GD

Four Fingers of Death
01-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Howdy FF of D I understand it was hard to own firearms in Australia?? Guess not HUH? GD

It varies a bit from state to state. We can't use personal defence as a reason for owning a gun, but we can own guns for hunting and competing in target shooting.

My state don't seem to worry how many guns you own, as long as you meet the criteria, they will issue a permit allowing you to purchase the gun (at $30 a pop!).

All shooter have to be licensed, all guns have to be registered and several types of guns are not available. These include short barrelled handguns (less than 4" in revolvers and less than 120mm which is about 4 3/4" for autopistols. Above 38 calibre handguns only under a special license and only in use for silouette and cowboy action (not in IPSC or other combat sports). Pump action and semi auto shotguns and semi auto rifles (even 22s) are only available for pest destruction by farmers and licensed professional shooters.

I own a good selection of guns, but have to jump through a lot of hoops tp get (and keep them).

A bit silly, but as :Larry Potterfield says, 'thats the way it is!'

Mick

Forrest r
01-07-2012, 07:46 AM
It's just me but I'd rather own a savage rather than a remington anymore. Your absolutely right about the 1 in 14 bbl's on remingtons 22-250, they need to join the 20th century.

The savages have an excellent reputation for out of the box accuracy. They don't need aftermarket triggers & bbl's can easily be changed & their bolt design is one of the best on the markets.

keep um in the black

lbaize3
01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I have the Remington VTR in 308 with the 5R barrel. It was well under an inch the first time I shot it with my 168 grain Hornady match bullets at about 2640fps. I am happy with the rifle and the Nikon Monarch scope I have on it.

Normally I go to Savage rifles for accuracy, but I wanted to try out a Rem with the 5R rifling to see if it was as good as I had been hearing.... It is!

mtnman31
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the input.
What is the deal with 5R Barrels? I know they are regarded as being better quality, more potential for accuracy, and easier to clean. What makes them so special? How much more do they add to cost/value of a gun? Also, are they available on the custom shop rifles only or are they available on everyday, common rifles?

Four Fingers of Death
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the input.
What is the deal with 5R Barrels? I know they are regarded as being better quality, more potential for accuracy, and easier to clean. What makes them so special? How much more do they add to cost/value of a gun? Also, are they available on the custom shop rifles only or are they available on everyday, common rifles?

This is what I have picked up around the traps;

Normally, where the lands join the grooves, it is at a pretty sharp angle.

With the 5R, there is a small radius where they join apparently.

The result is less impact on the bullet's jacket and less gas blow-by.

This was a Russian idea I think and was 'borrowed' by the US and used in sniper rifles.

Remington is not the only one to use this technology in barrel making.

One would think that they would be easier to clean as well.

Gotta be a good thing for cast boolits, but make sure you have deep pockets as it adds a few hundred dollars to the rifle's cost it seems. If you take the big picture into consideration, it would be worth it over the distance. The quality would be appreciated,long after the cost was forgotten.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
ive got two buddys that both bought one. One was a .223 and the other a 308 and they couldnt get them to shoot much under 2 inch. I did some checking around back then on the internet and found many were having problems with getting them to shoot well. Personaly if it were my money id spend less of it and buy a sps varmit.

Four Fingers of Death
01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
ive got two buddys that both bought one. One was a .223 and the other a 308 and they couldnt get them to shoot much under 2 inch. I did some checking around back then on the internet and found many were having problems with getting them to shoot well. Personaly if it were my money id spend less of it and buy a sps varmit.

Thats interesting, most of the military/law enforcement line are fitted with the 5R barrel.

WVRem
01-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I purchased a Remington 700 VTR .308 last summer and I absolutely love it. It's accurate right out of the box. I shot several types of ammo and Hornady seemed to be the most consistent (normally Remington ammo seems best with Remington rifles).

I suppose if I had to choose something negative it would be that it's loud (particularly when you're shooting under an awning), of course this is expected with a muzzle break.

Overall, I bought the gun for hunting and shooting for fun. It's my 3rd Model 700 and by far my favorite.

I have a Harris Bi-pod on it and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 scope mounted with Leupold rings/base.

Hope this helps!

Four Fingers of Death
01-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Thats strange, normally the premium barrel Remingtons will provide better accuracy than a cheap SPS (I'm not knocking SPS rifles, I have three of them), all good things. Are you sure your friends know which ways up with shooting?

I have used the 63Gn Sierra in teh 220Swift with good success and my mate used it in his 22/250 getting fine accuracy. Both rifles has 14/5" Bbls. They are a bit stumpier than most heavy bullets though.

crash87
01-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I've got one, a 223Rem. I have no complaint on the rifle and sure do love the 1:9 twist, as I do like the advantage of the heavier 60gr and over bullets. While it did take a while to find the right load,s it does shoot very good and close to excellent for a factory rifle or custom for that matter., I did absolutely nothing to out of the box, aside from the norm. i.e. a good cleaning and proper mounting of the scope and rings.
While I mentioned it took a while to get a good load, that is not a negative, with the vast choice of components for the 223 cartridge it was a challenge just trying to decide on what to try 1st. I now have a number of good loads utilizing 55 to 65gr bullets, and while at 1st I did not think much about TAC, I now have high regards for it with 65gr bullets.
I could care less about the triangular barrel shape and I think, that, along with the muzzle break, is all for marketing, selling something unique and/or "different".
What sold me on the rifle, and I probably never would have even considered it, had a friend behind a gun counter not put one in my hands and told me to try the trigger. I know its adjustable and have adjusted a few in the past, but this thing was just about perfect as it came from the box.
I own, just a few, rifles, and had a few lemons in the past. The past meaning
1. do not have them anymore, or,
2. they were made into something else.
This one, as is, is definitely a keeper.
Crash87