PDA

View Full Version : powder grades

Beekeeper
01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I have seen here and have read in several publications about this shooter using FFFG in this rifle and annother saying no-no use FFG for the same rifle.

My question as a not total newbe but new to BP shooting for score is there a chart that says use this for this caliber and this for a diferent caliber?

I have friends that shoot 1 1/2 swiss and condem me for shooting FFG Goex in the same rifle so sometimes I get confused ( old age does that sometimes).

beekeeper

ss40_70
01-01-2012, 02:01 PM
theres no chart , find what works for you and use it ... theres always more then one way to skin a cat

Lead pot
01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I have seen a chart in the Black Powder Digest that list granulation's for calibers.
I have used from 1FG to 3FG in all from 40 to 50 caliber and they all have there up and downs as far as accuracy goes.
I even use 2F in the .22 rim fire where one would think dust would be a better choice.

Lp.

Seth Hawkins
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Anything from 1Fg to 3Fg is fine for any caliber - provided it's real BP, regardless of brand (Swiss, Goex, KIK, etc.). If you're using any of the subs (Pyrodex, etc.) you'll have to consult their load data for safe loads.

Bullet Caster
01-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I usually use FFg in my flintlock and FFFg in my pistols. If you use 90 grains of FFg in a rifle then you would probably have to cut it back for using FFFg in the same rifle. I know that BP is a volume measurement and not weight. My black powder book on rifle data lists for a .490 round ball in a
.50 you should use 90 grains of FFg and 70 grains of FFFg. For pyrodex in the same calibre and boolit weight you use 72 grains of RS(Rifle Shotgun) and 56 grains of P(Pistol). This book that lists the BP and substitutes is from a Cabelas Instruction Manual for Muzzleloading Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns that came with my .50 Pedersoli fllintlock. If you'd like a copy of the load data tables, please PM me and I'll send you a copy if I can get my scanner to work. Thanks BC

waksupi
01-02-2012, 03:24 AM
I am cheap. I have been cheap for many years. I shoot 3f in everything,from .32, to 20 gauge. I understand the difference between 70 gr., and 100 gr. for the same performance. You can usually find a good load with 3f, have more shots per pound, and so save some money.

cajun shooter
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
First, Black powder is not anywhere like smokeless powder where one powder is a ball type and the next one is a flake powder and they have different results from what is fired in each gun.
All Black Powder starts as a mix of 3 products. It is all in it's final stage in the same huge round cake. It is then ground into the different grades depending on what it is to be used for.
All black powder burns from the outside surface area in, so a large piece will have a longer burn time than than a small piece such as a 3F grain.
Your blasting and cannon powders are made to larger grains and are not coated with graphite as the sporting grades are.
To concern ourselves with the firing of guns with BP there are really no hard and fast rules. They have what they call suggestion charts that will show the use of a larger grain powder for the 68 to 72 caliber rifles and that will be 1F. The reason is that you need a slower burn to build up the pressure and force to move a 600-700 grain bullet down a long barrel.
When you are shooting 38 caliber and smaller they will say to use a 3F powder because it has a fast burn and will have more pressure to move the smaller bullet at a better speed. The 45 caliber guns are in the middle and may be fired with either 2F or 3F. The 2F will have less recoil and shoot at a slower speed. The 3F will provide more speed and recoil.
The Swiss powder grains can't be interchanged with ours as they run smaller. I think it's because of the metric system used by the Swiss.
You can mix grades with no problems, the powder companies do it all the time.
Goex produced a powder that was called Cowboy and intended for the SASS shooters. In SASS you fire a rifle, two revolvers and a shotgun. Many shooters used this one powder to load all three.
If screened this powder had 2F, 3F and traces of 4F all in one can.
I myself mix 2F and 3F for shooting in SASS.
This is a very quick explanation and you will find out more if you read one or two of the many books on the subject. Don't be shocked when you see different answers for the same question. That is what makes BP shooting so much fun. Later David

Lead pot
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Beekeeper

Maybe this is what your looking for.
http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

cajun shooter
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Lead Pot, I'm sorry but I and many others find that the info by Goex is not always correct in the loads or type of BP they have on these charts.
I shot the 45 Schofield in my 45 Colts for over two years and never once used what they have on the chart.