PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Hunter, need some advise

Steel185
01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Next season I want to get an Elk Cow (meat hunter) with my Super Redhawk Ruger 480. I'm sure everyone has their preference, but what/where is the best holster set up? Hip? Chest? under arm? drop/leg?

When i was in Iraq i had a drop holster and never really had a problem with it, but i didn't crawl through the shrub as i do when hunting.

Any suggestions on style, brand, and model. leather, synthetic, black, camo, it doesn't really matter to me, I'm more of a function of form.

subsonic
01-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Scope or no scope? Your Ruger weighs more than what you previously carried in a drop leg holster.
The biggest problem with hunting handgun holsters is providing support for the weight so they don't yank your pants down over your (usually) slick polypro base layer.

I am still experimenting with holsters, but a lot of folks like the chesty puller from Simply Rugged and similar holsters.

Murphy
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Steel185,

I believe it all depends on your style of hunting.

Ease of access is #1 on my list. I've stalked on the ground carrying a Thompson T/X with a 14" barrel and scope. A crossdraw rig on my belt worked just fine. On the other hand, it was useless in a treestand.

I've also worn shoulder holsters for protection of the gun more than anythin else, and all was well. That is of course until I was again in a treestand. I wear a body harness when I'm in my treestand...too many straps to still have easy access to the gun.

Although I haven't done any strictly handgun hunting in sometime, I believe I would go for a Chest style rig. I know you mentioned crawling thru underbrush and that is a challenge to any holster.

Go to www.simplyrugged.com/ and take a look at some of the chest style rig's there. If you see one you think you can use but may want to 'tweak' it to your thoughts, Rob is a great guy and will be more than willing to work with you.

Murphy

gandydancer
01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
check this gent out. all leather items custom made . AND WELL

www.7xleather.com

Steel185
01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Scope or no scope?

I have iron sights on my SRH, i don't plan on putting on a scope for a while.

white eagle
01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I carry mine in a western holster designed for my 5.5"Blackhawk
the barrel sticks out bout a 1"(7.5"SRH) and haven't had much trouble with it
It has a leg strap so it actually works fairly well considering it wasn't designed for that gun

saz
01-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I am with subsonic and Murphy going with simply rugged chest rig. I have one and it is the most versitile rig out there IMHO. You can rig it up to hang on yor chest, under arm or you can ditch all the straps and put it on your belt, strong side or cross draw. It is not made to be used as JUST a chest rig. I bought a pancake holster years ago, then added the chest straps. It is GREAT for hunting. There are times where I like it on my belt, but when it gets cold being able to put the chest rig over ALL my clothes is great. I use this rig hunting, 4 wheeling, backpacking, and is perfect under my chest waders while out fishing. But on the negative side, they are a bit pricey. I look at it this way though, you will only buy it once. I have put this thing through hell a few times, and the more I use it the more I love it!

leadman
01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I use a sling on my Contender pistols and it works ok, can also use it to assist in shooting.

Larry Kelly also used a sling on his pistols.

I tried an Uncle Mike's chest rig but did not like that. Straps always seemed to be in the wrong spot.

I carry the Contender in my hands alot so I am able to get in a shooting position faster.

Lefty SRH
01-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Diamond D Leather, Guide Choice chest rig. I have two of them and 1 is for my Ruger .480 SRH

Matthew 25
01-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I carry a 7 1/2" SBH hunter on my right hip and strongly prefer that. I could see a heavier gun not doing so well, though. The Bianchi Cyclone is the model that would fit your SRH, it's very nice and very well made.

Lefty SRH
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Steel 185, what barrel length is your .480? My .44 SRH and .480 SRH are both 9 1/2" barrels. My other Guides choice is for my7 1/2" .45 colt SBH Bisley Hunter.

contender1
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I've been a handgun hunter for about 30 years. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 as well. Due to the size of the gun, the heavier clothing worn during hunting, and the need for the occasional quick access I would opt for a cross chest design. Rob at "Simply Rugged" makes excellent products. It needs to be adjustable as your clothing requirements will change as the season progresses. You can wear a quality cross chest design all day and not be whipped at the end of the day.

freedom475
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I really like the chest rig...I hunt with a handgun a lot and I use my chest holster system for all of my guns... I use one every time I go into the field and I make these for a living so if there was a better way to build them...well I would do it that way.

If I can help you get set up with one of my rigs please drop me a PM or my number is on my site.
Thank you for considering my work:drinks:

Here is a couple pics from this years trips

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/38694ef1b614428a5.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/38694ef1b6146285c.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/38694f0102e6a67b3.jpg

Steel185
01-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Steel 185, what barrel length is your .480?

I have the 7.5 inch version. I'm liking the cross chest setups, now the decision is which brand to go with. I was able to play with "Uncle Mike's" and it was a little too big, i think it was suppose to be for a scoped pistol so that's not a good comparison. I like both the 7x leather and the simply rugged, its a tough choice. Lefty, I'll check into that Diamond D. There are still so many to choose from.

Ickisrulz
01-01-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-25-shoulder-holsters.aspx

DLCTEX
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
I have been planning chest holsters for my Tarus 480 Ruger (scoped) and Tarus Ragin Hornet, same frame pistol, no scope. It's the only practical carry method for these large pistols IMHO.

bobthenailer
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
A+ on the chest holster . ive been hunting with handguns exclusviley for 15 years now and occasionaly in the previous years

lbaize3
01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I use a chest rig for hunting from a stand. You said you were crawling around in the brush. I would suggest that you choose a rig for your strong side waist. Get the belt big enough to go around the outside of your jacket and winter clothes. As far as material for the holster, the Kydex can be noisy when you draw, as leather can be if lined with something other than suede. I have made holsters for numerous friends and they prefer suede lined, open bottom holsters, situated on their strong side waist.

Holsters are expensive and I understand your desire for other hunters' opinions. If you can, try on several types and then make your decision...

x101airborne
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Going over long distances, you should keep heavy arms as high on your body as possible. Using a drop leg such as we carried in Iraq or something like a cowboy low ride rig, as you walk, your gate is exaggerated by the weight of your weapon. This throws your pelvis forward and back as you walk. You will not notice it, but give a quick march with a 6 pound handgun and you will see how it swings. If you want an opinion,

1. Look for a copy of the old military vertical holsters that go over your shoulders and connect to the belt.
2. Then contact someone to make you one for your weapon with enough adjustment to move it around to the front of your chest. That way when you are crawling, you can move it to the side. When you are hunting, you can swing it to the front.

After 120 pounds on my back and knees for so many years, I often feel a long walk even with my blackhawk. A sore back 100 miles from home laying on the ground is not my cup of tea. Take it from the guys who know, at MINIMUM have the barrel secured to your belt and the rest of the weapon higher.

If Freedom475 has it down pat, rely on his experience. He looks like he may be just a bit beyond his front yard in some of those pics.

Snyd
01-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Wyoming Combo Holster is a good one as well. I had one made for my SBH Hunter with scope. Here's a bunch of pics and a write up I did.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/73279/page/0/fpart/1

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/catalog/i2.html

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/WyomingComboHolster.jpg.w300h225.jpg

ole 5 hole group
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I'll second that Wyoming Combo.