PDA

View Full Version : new slides hitting ejector on 1911s

Four Fingers of Death
01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I have a 1911 Colt 80 Series in 38Super and a 1911 Norinco in 9mm.

I have picked up a Ciener 22LR slide and also a 45ACP slide. Neither of these work on the guns I have and hit the ejector. It looks like the ejectors need to be thinned down or replaced with thinner ones.

Which is the best way to approach this issue? No doubt someone here has had the same problem.

KYCaster
01-01-2012, 12:38 PM
As you've already noted, the 9mm/38S ejector isn't compatible with the 45 slide. You'll have to replace it (ejector).

Same for the RF slide.

Jerry

Four Fingers of Death
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Thought so. Thanks.

MtGun44
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
If you think about the problem a minute, it starts to become clear. The firing pin location
is fixed. The smaller caliber cartridges have smaller rim diameters than the .45, so for the
fixed ejector to be able to hit the rim, it must be moved over a touch towards the firing
pin location.

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
If you think about the problem a minute, it starts to become clear. The firing pin location
is fixed. The smaller caliber cartridges have smaller rim diameters than the .45, so for the
fixed ejector to be able to hit the rim, it must be moved over a touch towards the firing
pin location.

Bill

I was thinking that may be the case. If I install the 45 ejector, I will probably experience malfunctions with the smaller cases. Maybe I should just convert one to use the 22 and 45 slide and run the 9mm and 38Super slides on the other frame. The 22 needs the 45 ejector to work, it must use another system to eject the cases.

How difficult is it to change the ejectors around?

Dale53
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Years ago, when I was just a lad, my father had a cased set (he did it) of .45, .38 Super, and a Colt .22 conversion unit. He polished the locating pins of the ejectors until he could easily change them with his fingers. He had the walnut case (French fitted) built by a pattern maker friend. It was an eye catching and perfectly practical set.

So, just polish the pins on the ejectors and you can easily change them when making the conversion.

Dale53

whopist
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
You now understand where you are, and your comment to set up a 45 frame to go with your new 45 slide and 22 conversion sounds like the way to go.

I don't own a 45 or 22 conversion but have a couple of interchangeable 9mm, 38Super, 9mmLargo, and 9X23WIN - 1911 pistols.

This leads to a lot of juggling of: Clips-Barrels-Springs-Ejectors-Extractors.

I don't juggle slides. Just me.

Good luck & have fun,
Be safe*

MtGun44
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I have never changed an ejector, but the books say that they come without a cross notch
in the fwd leg, so you have to run a drill through the existing hole in the frame to make the
notch in the leg of the new ejector. Also, there is no easy way to pry one up and out unless
you modify it. The books say "do not remove unless it is damaged". I think you may get
away with this ejector swapping for a while, but I suspect that it will be a bit of a pain to fit
it properly (apparently the legs are usually a bit oversized) and the cross pin is tiny, maybe
.045"-.060" diam.

The Colt .22 Ace conversion uses a completely different ejector, a long sheet metal affair.

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Ok, thanks for the help, between you guys and YouTube, I now know whats going on. I will run the Norinco with a 45 Ejector and use the 22Ciener and 45ACP slides on it and leave the Colt ejector as it is and use the 9mm (off the Norinco) and 38 Super (this is the one that came on the Colt 80 Series) slides on it.

I think I will also get a few spare ejectors for each gun and fit them and keep them separate as spares for the particular gun.

I probably should just close my eyes and buy a 45 and use the Ciener slide on it, lol.

flinchnjerk
01-03-2012, 03:30 AM
I have never changed an ejector, but the books say that they come without a cross notch
in the fwd leg, maso you have to run a drill through the existing hole in the frame to ke the
notch in the leg of the new ejector. Also, there is no easy way to pry one up and out unless
you modify it. The books say "do not remove unless it is damaged". I think you may get
away with this ejector swapping for a while, but I suspect that it will be a bit of a pain to fit
it properly (apparently the legs are usually a bit oversized) and the cross pin is tiny, maybe
.045"-.060" diam.

The Colt .22 Ace conversion uses a completely different ejector, a long sheet metal affair.

Bill

Bill
Your books are giving you bad advice... trying to cut the notch by running a drill through the existing hole is a good way to screw up a frame. It's a 1/16 " drill, and when the drill hits the curved front of the ejector leg it'lll wander off into the frame, wallowing out the hole or gouging the frame, and very likely snapping the bit off inside the hole.
The technique.... install the ejector in the gun (and yeah, most have slightly oversized legs), then use a 1/16' drill, twisted by hand, to mark the spot where you need to cut the notch. Pull the ejector. (It's possible to snap the front leg off in the frame... and getting it out's a mighty tough contract....the safest technique is to clamp the ejector in a smooth-jawed vice then tap the frame away with a brass hammer.) Cut the notch with a needle file. A small triangular file'll work too.
Start at the top of your mark.... cutting the notch too high means that you'll have to lower the bottom of the notch a bit (after all, it's the bottom of the pin bearing on the bottom of the notch that holds the ejector in place). Cut the notch too low and you'll be tossing that ejector and trying again with a new one.

Four Fingers of Death
01-03-2012, 04:33 AM
The cross pin is a rollpin I believe. Having a look on YouTube vids, I see some just pop out easily, some are stiff. Some also come with the notch already cut. Probably better to cut it to suit your gun.

The hand turning of the drill bit is the go as well, just marking the pin enough to show you where to file the cut.

lbaize3
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
FFOD, I purchased a Ciener .22 conversion for my Para P16-40 some years ago. It broke the ejector a couple of times. I filed down the Ciener to provide clearance for the ejector. No joy. I ended up getting a Caspian frame and building it for the Ciener without an ejector on the frame. It works perfectly and is one of the most accurate .22 pistols I own. I believe that the long black piece of metal attached to the slide on the side opposite of the ejection port is the unit's ejector. Anyway, just wanted you to know the unit worked for me without the frame mounted ejector.

Four Fingers of Death
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
FFOD, I purchased a Ciener .22 conversion for my Para P16-40 some years ago. It broke the ejector a couple of times. I filed down the Ciener to provide clearance for the ejector. No joy. I ended up getting a Caspian frame and building it for the Ciener without an ejector on the frame. It works perfectly and is one of the most accurate .22 pistols I own. I believe that the long black piece of metal attached to the slide on the side opposite of the ejection port is the unit's ejector. Anyway, just wanted you to know the unit worked for me without the frame mounted ejector.

Thats interesting and I'll keep it in mind. Even if I just remove the extractor when I use the Ciener slide.

MtGun44
01-05-2012, 01:18 AM
I'll remember the tip on not driling in place. Sounds like an excellent point.
33 yrs of shooting 1911s, never needed to replace an ejector yet. Hope to keep my
record going.

I think Four Fingers has it figured out with the 'selective caliber conversion' mode.

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
01-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Yep, didn't have a clue before, as I haven't done anything much with a 1911 since the 80s (I have had the 38Super Colt for the past 8 years or so, but haven't done a thing to apart from oil it and shoot it. I might let my head go one day and give it a clean, lol). Thanks for the help, foaund out a lot and blew the cobwebs away as well. Now I will get on the phone next week (Australia is in holiday mode until the end of the week, school hols continue until the end of the month (Southern Hemisphere, we are all hot at the moment), so I think most surrliers will shake themselves out next week. Looking forward to getting the 45 percolating.