PDA

View Full Version : A cold day not wasted

rtracy2001
12-31-2011, 11:30 PM
I had planned to work on my jeep today, but the USPS let me down again, so other projects got bumped up.

My Model 98 in 308 Winchester has been an ongoing project for some time. It started its life with me when a friend offered me a turkish mauser for $75. I previously rebarreled it from 8x57 to 308, drilled and tapped for a scope and replaced the stock. today I had a few smaller tasks to perform:

1. I finished the glass bedding of the replacement stock.

2. I installed a new Timeny sportsman trigger.

3. I installed an extended floorplate release (took about an hour longer than it should since I had to trim the spring and file the release pin and floorplate to get it towork right.)

4. I built a bolt jweling jig and jeweled the bolt. (The bolt jeweling took place out in the carport and I was very cold by the time I finished but it was worth it. The SWMBO thought I had frostbite when I came in.)

All I have left to do is narrow/profile the triggerguard and then have the entire rifle reblued. (My smith says a reblue is $95 including the polishing so I think I'll let him do that.)

I don't have a picture of the jeweled bolt yet, but here is the rifle with the new stock installed (before and after):

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/tracraym/Turk1.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/tracraym/finished308.jpg

I know I won't really come out ahead on this (total cost so far has been about $250 if the cost of tools is ignored) but it has been a fun learning experience. I have enjoyed this so much that I am thinking about building a 6.5x55 for the daughter to use elk hunting and a .22-250 for a varmint gun (all on Mauser actions of course).

zuke
01-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Look's sweet! and probably a great shooter also!
But for the 6.5 can you look for something that's already been "sporterized?
Their getting harder to find in their original condition.
Thank's!

rtracy2001
01-01-2012, 07:56 PM
for the 6.5 can you look for something that's already been "sporterized?
Their getting harder to find in their original condition.

My smith showed me a barreled turk action that he is working on. It is a K. Kale large ring action with small ring threads that has a NOS military 6.5x55 barrel installed. He has the whole thing polished and ready for rebluing right now. he said if he did nothing else to it, he would sell it to me for $225. I am sorely tempted as it will make someone an absolutely beutiful rifle.

zuke
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
If the work's been done and it's that great a deal,I'd jump on it!