PDA

View Full Version : First casting session

aarolar
12-31-2011, 09:30 PM
I had my first casting session and following the information found here every thing went well. Bullets turned out pretty well with the exception of a few but I do have one question. I can't get the lead to stop sticking to my ladle, I am using a RCBS bottom pour ladle and it is completely gunked up with lead. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Using a 1qt SS pot on a fish cooker and leaving the ladle in the lead the whole time seems it should heat up enough the lead doesn't stick to it...

Le Loup Solitaire
12-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Congrats on your first go round and the good results. Nothing wrong with what you are doing; the cruddy build up on the ladle is common. Normally fluxing gets rid of it especially if you use old pieces of wax, crayons or a small amount of bullet lube and light up the smoke so that it burns off. Sometimes the crud on ladle gets a little too hard and I touch it to a wire wheel lightly all around and then clean out the pouring hole with an old drill bit or a piece of steel wire. Cleaning out the inside can be done with the blunt edge of an old triangular file. Keep up the good work. LLS

slide
12-31-2011, 11:52 PM
I have never cast with a ladle. Hang tight,some of the guys who do will see your post and will be able to answer your question. Didn't want you to think nobody cared. It being New Year's Eve they may all be snookered!

LAH
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Once my ladle was up to temp I've had no problems. Mine is a Lyman bottom pour.

cbrick
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I've never had lead stick to my ladles, a few minutes in the melt and they are good to go. Kinda makes me wonder about your alloy temp, do you have a thermometer?

Rick

williamwaco
01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
If you are not doing so, put your ladle back in the pot after pouring while you are emptying the mold.

the alloy will really stick bad if the ladle gets too cool.

GP100man
01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I ladle cast for a long time & ya know that mold release spray that`ll make ya boolit come out too small ???

Clean it good & put a good coat on it , after up to temp if any stiks & slight tap on the side of the pot will shake it off !

The spray is good on ingot molds also !!

PS: out of all my casting equipment the thermometer would be the last thing to go !!!

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
It was cool the other evening when I was smelting and if I left the ladle out of the pot for very long it would coat up with the alloy until I got it hot again.