PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a tang/receiver sight on a takedown lever?

Canuck Bob
12-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm preparing to D&T a Winoku 92 Takedown for a Lyman 66 receiver sight. Before I do I'm looking for folks who use the takedown feature and non-barrel sights. It would be a drag to drill the rifle and find out the sight was a mistake.

Does the POI wander much after takedown reassembly? It is a 32-20 woods loafing rifle that will be sighted for 50 paces and be a glorified 22LR in actual use shooting stump knots, pine cones, and rabbits.

Marvin S
12-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I have three Winchester take downs with tang sights and never noticed a problem with POI change.

W.R.Buchanan
12-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Canuck: it kind of requires that the gun go back together the same way every time.

If the takedown system is tight and well designed it will repeat. If it doesn't then POI will change.

If it has a large flat piece mounted to the barrel group that contacts the receiver with complete contact and it is tight when it does, then it will probably repeat.

I have a Browning .22 Auto. It has Iron Sights on the barrrel and the "preferred" scope mount for that gun also mounts to the barrel. The reason why is the takedown doesn't index back to the exact same place everytime.

That's why you don't see receiver sights on Browning .22 Autos.

the Winchester system is adjustable for wear and generally works pretty well.

Randy

Marvin S
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
The taper on the mag tube mated to the one in the receiver I believe pretty much puts it back to the same place every time within reason.

Canuck Bob
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
With your results it is not a mistake to D&T the rifle. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Freischütz
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I have two Win M95s (35 WCF) and a M86 (33 WCF). All three hold their zeros when taken down and put back together.

Marvin S
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Done right I don't think so, you sure will be able to shoot it better. Does it not have screws for a receiver sight?

Canuck Bob
01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Done right I don't think so, you sure will be able to shoot it better. Does it not have screws for a receiver sight?

No Marvin, it is a new Japanese Winchester and mine is not drilled. I did just find out that a Marbles tang sight fits the tang safety model.

Ed Barrett
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a Savage 1899 take down with a tang sight. I holds it's zero after the barrel has been on and off. I have two barrels for it in .303 Savage and 30-30 Win. and I worked up cast loads so they both have the same point of impact. It was a bit difficult but it got me out to the range a lot so it wasn't all bad.

FromTheWoods
01-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Most of my Winchester '94 takedowns have Marble Tang sights--more than a handful of them.

None of them change their zero from using the takedown option. Never a change, and always very accurate.

01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Does the POI wander much after takedown reassembly? It is a 32-20 woods loafing rifle that will be sighted for 50 paces and be a glorified 22LR in actual use shooting stump knots, pine cones, and rabbits.

I have two take downs- one a Win 92 in 25-20 and the other a Win 86 in 33 Win. Early on I checked and both hold POI after re-assembly. Matter of fact the 86- 33WCF is one of the most accurate lever guns I have. Since the Miroku repros are in many ways superior to the originals there is no reason to worry much about the take down design. To me, the take down feature is simply an interesting design artifact only. I leave mine in one piece. I clean all my lever guns upside down in a cleaning cradle, from the muzzle and use a muzzle guard.

Oh almost forgot- both have tang sights.