PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Help Please!!

FallRun
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
OK guys, here's my problem. I just bought a used Marlin 30/30 with Micro Groove rifling. After 2 days of cleaning I think I finally got the copper fouling out of her but the carbon just keeps coming. Are there any tricks or chemicals I can try to get this carbon out? I'd really like to get her clean before I start sending lead down the barrel. Thanx in advance for all your help.

waksupi
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi FallRun. Try squirting some carburator or brake cleaner through the bore. Both cut carbon pretty well.

woody1
03-02-2007, 11:17 AM
What have you used so far? The last old rifle I cleaned up prob'ly took me a week of cleaning. Might very well be more jacket fouling under the gunk too. Regards, Woody

FallRun
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
So far I have used non clorinated brake cleaner, Break Free foam and Hoppe's No 9 all were used with a bronze brush. This is my 3rd day cleaning this rifle

Pilgrim
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Try the above. Doggondest stuff I've ever used! I clean down to bare metal after every session with jacketed, as I guess I'm anal in that respect. Wipe Out is a foam. You squirt it in and I generally let it set for hours or overnight. It won't hurt your bore. Push a snug patch thru the bore and see all of the blue gunk w/ black overtones coming out. Makes you feel good, it does. Second foaming I let set for an hour or two. Push another snug patch thru and usually I find no copper and very little powder fouling. You don't even have to oil the bore as the Wipe Out leaves a film that protects the bore. Unless somebody comes up with a cleaner that does it all for me while I watch...Wipe Out is what I'm going to use for the forseeable future. FWIW....Pilgrim

Mallard57
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea in a lever action but I had the same problem with a surplus M-96 Swede. What finally cleaned it up was a worn bronze bore brush wrapped with a patch and some Remington Bore Cleaner. This is a mildly abrasive cleaner and I'm not sure of the ramifications of it getting in the nooks and crannies of a lever action.
Good Luck,
Jeff

FallRun
03-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Alrighty Then, Wipe Out it is. Thank You All for your help!!!