PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions...Hoping for Answers

JosephG
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
After a very long hiatus I am getting back into casting boolits. Currently, I have two projects going...one for a BR rifle competition and the other for use in my 1911pistol. With this interest growing I find myself referring to this site a lot...and...as a result another interest is emerging. And that interest is the use od full bore slugs and round balls in shotguns with rifled bores, especially shotguns of 20 gauge. But to get into this game I have to start from scratch since I have not reloaded shotgun ammo and I do not yet own a shotgun with a rifled barrel. So here goes my thoughts and questions.

First about the shotgun: It looks like I have two general choices...a bolt action (like the Savage 220) and a single shot break-action (like the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (USH). Based on what I have read on this site, it appears to me that the H&R USH provides a great combination of price, quality, and accuracy. So what do y'all think about this? I looking for a gun that will be accurate off the bench and still be a good choice for hunting.

Second, if I decide on the H&R USH: What versions will best suit my purposes (expect to shooting off the bench far more than in the field)? I see three choices. (1) USH Deluxe and (2) the USH Thumbhole. Both have laminated stocks and shorter fore stocks. (3) USH with plain harwood stock but longer fore stock. I never shot a rifle or shotgun with a Thumbhole stock, so I do not know how they handle with respect to a regular stock, especially on the bench. Alos i qonder about the value of a longer vs. shorter fire stock, again especially off the bench. i would your thought, opinion, and recommendations on this.

Third, about reloading. I am used to reloading metallic cartridges using a single station press. It seems to me that this would be a good way to go for handloading and experimenting with full bore slugs and round balls. This why the I find the rather hard to find older RCBS and newer CH/4D dies attractive. I guess the alternative is using the current "standard" set-ups like a MEC shotshell reloader. Please offer comments on how you reload and experiment with full bore slugs and round balls.

That's it for now. I will appreciate any and all guidance you can provide. Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Joe

Reload3006
12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
if economy is on your mind the Lee Load all will get the job done nicely for you. I have mec presses I prefer them. Others use the RCBS and CH4d and after that there are tons of options out there but most are dedicated for shot shells. Personally I reccomend you stay with something current that you can get replacement parts for. other than that its How much money do you want to spend? the Lee is about 50 dollars , the mec is about 120 to 1200 depending on the press same for Hornady , Ponsness Warren, RCBS , Dillon there are lots and lots of options. so take your time and choose carefully if you go to Ebay you will find a lot of others out there that may or may not still be in business and if you get one of those it may or may not work for you. Good luck I have been loading shot shells since the mid sixties its a very enjoyable pass time. However today its questionable if its worth it or not in terms of cost. I think you can load better shells for the same price as the cheap **** at walmart but you cant load cheaper.

eye shot
12-31-2011, 05:06 PM
The USH & 220 are accurate but won't make good hunting guns because they have been known for FTF's. My USH has had several FTF's and is too dang heavy to carry. I've heard on different forums of the 220 having failure to feed & ejection problems, it can be a single shot gun with failure to fire! IMO if you want a good hunting slug gun that will preform every time and can be just as accurate try a 870 or a m37 deerslayer. Alls you need to load slugs is a powder scale, primed new hulls, powder, slugs, and a roll crimper with drill press or hand drill. If you use Lightfield Commander IDS or SPW Hammerhead slugs that's it you got everything. Hope this helps

JosephG
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Reload3006...I appreciate your comments on the equipment for shotshell reloading. Also I "hear you" on the economy of reloading shotshells...specially for me since I do currently very little shotgun shooting. My interest is primarily to experiment with casting 20 ga. bore size round balls and slugs and shooting them in a shotgun with a rifled barrel...mostly at the range and perhaps a bit in the field. I have to say if UI were to buy a reloader, I woyuld probably favor one the MEC units.

eye shot...I also appreciate your comments about the guns and simplified reloading. I have to say I am disappointed to hear about the functioning issues with the USH and 220...indeed I am surprised that these guns would leavu the factory with such difficulties. For hunting I do have slug barrels for my 16 ga. Ithaca M37 and my 12 ga. Franchi. These are older guns and the slug barrels are smooth bore without chokes. Perhaps I will start by playing with these, but their light weight make them far better for field work than for bench work.

Again...thank you.

Anybody else...feel free to comment.

eye shot
01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
josephg I'm not trying to bash those guns after all I have a USH and mabe the 220 has been corrected by now. You will like loading slugs of any kind. I'm working on a single shot break open rifled .410/.444M and it shoots great, but still working up loads. With plastic hull this gun is legal in Ohio for deer. eye shot