PDA

View Full Version : After season blues

lead chucker
12-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Any one here get a little depressed when deer hunting season is over and you have to wait for what seems a life time for next season to start.

smoked turkey
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
yes kind of. Except now I have to get the area cleaned up from all the small saplings and overhanging branches that I noted were in my shooting lanes hindering me somewhat. I have another deer stand to relocate. I also want to cut in another deer trail across the property. I find that if I make a small trail that the deer more often than not will start using it. I use this time to clean the place up a bit and sort of get ready for next season. Just part of the preparation to ensure another good deer season in 2012.

crabo
12-31-2011, 11:15 AM
What's worse is having had great places to hunt in the past, and are no longer available.

fishnbob
12-31-2011, 11:21 AM
What's worse is having had great places to hunt in the past, and are no longer available.

Oh man! Ain't that the truth? I call it post deerseason depression. Now it's time to get ready to fish the warm days of January?LOL:-?

357maximum
12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Cures for PDSD PostDeerSeasonDepression that I have found to work.

1. Go buy another caliber gun/dies/moulds/sizers/etc to work up loads for next years hunts.

2. If ya cannot afford #1...go buy another mould to use next year.

3. Grab the Mt. Curs and go squirrel hunting.

4. Grab the beagles and go rabbit hunting.

5. Go Ice fishing (sorry about this one if you live in the South) Maybe ice cubes in a kiddie pool will suffice.

6. Prep all your available brass and get it in RTL Ready to Load condition.

7. Spend time with the wife

8. Clean the bench, shop, etc

Good luck and remember we are all in this together. :mrgreen:

Crawdaddy
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Yep.i get it. I do a few of what 357 does.

badbob454
12-31-2011, 12:56 PM
sort your wheel weight lead smelt ,ingotize, melt, and cast some nice ones , develope a nice low power subsonic load ,experiment with a different powder , make a mold a hollowpoint mold , put in a good john wayne movie, my favorite, ... with a good lee hand press you can watch, size , and deprime some brass ... and watch THE DUKE

01-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Yep, today was my last day on the ranch I hunted this year it was leased out. Now I need to seek more land else where.
List for 2012 is build reloading bench,
mold more boolits,
shoot more practice, practice, and
find more land lots more land to hunt.

TXGunNut
01-01-2012, 01:47 AM
It ain't over until I get those two deer from my Igloo to my freezer. I'll start on that first thing in the AM, right after I get some more freezer bags.

lead chucker
01-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Yep lots to do, I hate it when the season ends I want to work up some new loads but we have gotten so much snow that the road to the range is closed till the state gets caught up enough and get it plowed. I got deer hanging in the garage so I don't want to cast bullets in there till they are butchered.

TXGunNut
01-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Yep, deer to process, sausage to make, boolits to cast, loads to work up....it'll be hunting season again in no time.

rbertalotto
01-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Depressed! You betcha! So I go back to work to make some extra $$ for next year!

white eagle
01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I am still hunting but the season will end soon
cast,shoot,reload

newcastter
01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I bought a flintlock this year and it bought me 3 more weeks of deer season, when thats over I will be casting slugs for it.

crappie-hunter
01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I'M still huntin, two more weeks of flintlock and archery here in PA . After that ?????

richhodg66
01-01-2012, 03:41 PM
We have our extended antlerless season starts in Kansas today. I'll have my boys out this evening, so far, only one tag filled of the four they had between them. I've killed three this year, so we aren't hurting for venison, but we're gonna hunt as long as it's legal.

marshall623
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
We have 1 more week in Va. Late BP west of the Blueridge . Then all out bushingtail assult till the end of Jan. Then trout fishing , IHMSA will be getting fired up gotta make sure that I got plenty of boolits cast for that, also got to put the smack down on some ground hogs and I want to try them with some cast in the 7-30. I forgot I have to remodel down stairs bathroom I managed to weasle out of it the past 2 years I'm at the end of my chain with that one

Blammer
01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
357maximum, what is this #7 that you speak of?

Old Goat Keeper
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah I'm wantnig to know bout that #7 too. Just my opinion but i think there should be atleast 5 blank numbers between it and the last item on the list. Hhey you might come up with some things you forgot to list. I SHE loves you she will NOT mind being dead last on the list! LOL

T-o-m who is NOT married or has a significant other

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Deer season ended the Sunday after Thanksgiving here. There is still plenty to do outside.
We've been blessed with early ice here this year, straight from hunting to ice fishing, when the ice is gone bear season isn't far away, then varmints and there is always yodel dogs to cap.
There is no shortage of outdoor fun in MT if you have ANY imagination

357maximum
01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
#7 was thrown in just in case SWMBO ever happened to read my words. She don't mind being down the list as long as she is on it. :mrgreen: She knew what I was about when her Dad handed me her hand 14 years ago.

TXGunNut
01-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Still have gear to put away and two deer to process but I'm done for the year.

Wolfer
01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Nope! Now it's time to start coyote hunting hard. But there is a small window of boredom between coyotes and turkeys.

TXGunNut
01-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I have several months' worth of load development to do, boolits to cast, rifles to wring out. Come to think of it, probably a few years' worth. I'll be OK. :cbpour:

Crawdaddy
01-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Yep lots to do, I hate it when the season ends I want to work up some new loads but we have gotten so much snow that the road to the range is closed till the state gets caught up enough and get it plowed. I got deer hanging in the garage so I don't want to cast bullets in there till they are butchered.

My range isnt closed but it might as well be. I went last sunday. Between the snow, melted snow (water) and mud it was a mess. My truck ended up being a mess too. The road in is so bad I could see where others got stuck.

I am swaging 44 mag rounds now. It is fun but will have to wait a while to do serious testing.

bigted
01-06-2012, 03:18 PM
LOL.......got much more to hunt here then i can get time off work for....lil rubbin here.......spring bear for a tastey black...mid summer carriboo up on the slope.......fall moose.......fall blueberry bear.......fall grizz......fall cariboo.........winter cariboo....winter moose if ya didnt get a fall moose.

in the middle there is the first red salmon run to hook into...then the king run....then the silvers are in for a run...then the late red run....and then the bottom fish in the valdez harbor. we will drive for 300 to 400 miles here for a hunt or fishin trip all the time.

the spruce grouse and ptarmigun...[ spelling is why they call chicken alaska chicken] and the fur trade is winter long with the wolverine and wolves as well as the linx and the paycheck of pine martin and the low priced beaver and fox.

all in all it is why i sold out in the states and moved to alaska.......sorry for the brag along with all this is the firewood gathering that a guy is always packing a gun along for the unexpected run-in with more table fare......sometimes i go to work to rest up from all the outside doings....ooops sorry ...there i go again!!!

phaessler
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
I am fully bummed , last two days of our season here and its 72deg F, has been so warm, deer arent moving above 40deg anymore.
But had an awesome opening day, got a buck that is actually awaiting to be B&C scored, so its all in the balance, still looking to take the kids out in the blind to observe the critters, my son and I have found coyote sign and last night there was one on one of the game cameras.

So until next year , I am packing it in.....

Jal5
01-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Still looking to fill another tag before the end of deer season in early Feb. then there is coyote hunting to keep me occupied until spring turkeys. In the meantime I do most of my casting & reloading during the winter months. About 500 rounds for each of the handguns I reload for and maybe 150 for the rifles should hold me awhile. I don't get to the range to shoot nearly as much as I want to...

Joe

bowfin
01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
We still have two weeks of antlerless only season left here in Nebraska.

9.3X62AL
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Deer season was kind of a "wash" for me this year due to medical junk interfering with much of it. I was able to go out locally, but CA's D-8 season starts so early it was still pretty warm. Deer move only at night locally unless they need to feed more to stay warm.

There are lots of other things to do while waiting for trout season to open Sierra-wide. Low-elevation waters are open to fishing, coyotes and jacks are fair game/no limit all year, and ground squirrels will start coming out in a month or 2. Time to get the rat rifles dialed in.

Kotofey
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I have tried forzest (http://buyforzest.com/) before and must say that generic proscar (http://proscarstore.com/) causes less side effects though. I had terrible headache with ****** which made sex impossible sometimes. With proscar pills (http://proscarstore.com/) I forgot about it. I would recommend it to anybody who has similar problems and this drug is above all praises.”

10 ga
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Plenty to do and hunt too.
1. Now I can trap w/o all the AHs in the woods. That also means skinning and putting up fur, salting the meats and innerds for chum and bait for fishing/crabbing/turtling and handling all them animal glands to sell, and then meeting the agent and shipping to NAFA.
2. Now I can fur hunt, see #1 for details.
3. Now is the time to go over the nets for spring fishing season.
4. I can make some crab and fish pots for earning a few $.
5. I can repair the turtle traps.
6. If I can sell some muskrat and coon meats I might get enough $ to get a "donor action" for this summers build project.
7. Go to any of the "gun shows" that are accessable looking for that "donor".
8. Start the early garden plants in the greenhouse.
9. Turn all that horse manure in the compost bins so it's ready for the spring planting and summer sidedressing.
10. My youngest daughter will be out of teaching school in June and is getting married. Guess I'll have some duties for that event. Come to think of it I may have to postpone that build as I guess she'll expect me to pay for the bar tab at the reception, LOL!

Heck, I'm retired and can't get all the stuff done that I was putting off to hunt every day I wanted. That is the way it is when you are on a 6/1 schedule. (that is 6 saturdays and 1 sunday a week!) LOL! I'm loving life. Best to all, 10 ga

phaessler
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Heck, I'm retired and can't get all the stuff done that I was putting off to hunt every day I wanted. That is the way it is when you are on a 6/1 schedule. (that is 6 saturdays and 1 sunday a week!) LOL! I'm loving life. Best to all, 10 ga

Now 10ga you are truly inspirational. Enjoy it!!

Pete

Pigwacker
01-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I gave up on hunting deer here in CA, too many nuts in the woods and not enough deer, but I have pigs year round on some private land. I start planning and saving for my out of state antelope hunt in January. Duck and quail goes til late January. Turkey starts in March???, I think. I can always shoot coyotes, but now that I think about it really ticks me off cause ya can't use lead boolits in my part of the state for anything, e-bullets for everything, even the ground squirrels. I gotta start planning on how to get out of this state. Now I think I am depressed!

44 flattop
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I go through it, so I cast, cast, cast and cast. And then started reloading and shooting until the next season.

roverboy
01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm a little bummed but, now I can hope for turkey season to open. I killed a decent buck during gun season and let several young bucks walk.

geezer56
01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Pig, the other white meat. Then turkey, more pigs, and yotes. Someday I will make that spring bear hunt up north somewhere. Cast, load, shoot, repeat. There is always something gun related to do, to keep from spending time with the wife.

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Wish I could find some feral hogs here ... no season no limit shoot on site. I just dont know where any are :-(

ghh3rd
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I've only hunted a couple of years (58 yrs old) - should have started much sooner. I do find myself looking at all of the woods I pass by, wishing I was in the middle of them.

kweidner
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
yotes, squirrel and pigs between now and Turkeys. Can get back to shooting long distance now the woods are cleared out. I almost like the off season better. I pretty much have the run of the lease. 3000 acres and me:bigsmyl2:

missionary5155
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Greetings
Next time you feel real down about waiting try some coyote hunting. Crows also will give you a good time. But imagine only getting to go deer hunting every 3 years.. But I sure am rejoicing every minute I can get in the bushes up north there.
Mike in Peru

shtur
01-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Season in WA is only 10 days for mule deer, the other 355 days are for reading the new regulations and trying to understand them.

Virginian
01-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Here in VA we have a pretty long season. I managed to take 7 this year, 1 to my sis to fill her fridge, one for myself and 5 to the program Hunter's for the Hungry. (nothing really notable) It sure is a long wait for next season but varmint is right around the corner. I'm working on my load development now for a new rifle I purchased. Like missionary said, coyotes, crows and fox are fun too.

Eric

TXGunNut
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Gotta admit I'm looking forward to working up cast boolit hunting loads for next hunting season. I was even distracted a bit by that this season. I have a couple of fine hunting rifles that stayed home or went out stoked w/ J-bullets. This season was awesome, pretty excited about next year as well.

RevGeo
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Well, it's almost February and spring bear commences in April. Just a few more months. Been collecting bait, casting bullets, reloading, tying flies and working. Boy that last one sure stinks.