PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895GBL trouble

LedShed
12-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been having some trouble with a Marlin 1895GBL 45-70 I've recently acquired. It seems to want to draw a 45 degree line of holes up and right from point of aim that gets higher and further right with each consecutive shot fired. It has done this with every load I've used. Any ideas?:killingpc

MtGun44
12-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Check the fit of the forend to the frame and for tight binding of the front band on the mag. High
pressure on the forend and frame and barrel can do this, as can very uneven pressure. I think
that the folks that know (more than I do) say to open up the front band where the mag goes thru
to let the mag tube slightly float. Even, no jam, fit of the forend is also recommended. I'm sure
there is more to it than that, but this is what I have heard.

Bill

btroj
12-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Something is binding somewhere.

How big a group are you getting and at what range?

Is the stringing always the same directon?

my suggestion is to buy the book "Accurizing the Factroy Rifle" by McPherson. Huge amount of info in there on how to get Marlins to shoot small groups. He has done lots of work on them and knows what it takes to make them tick.

stubshaft
12-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Have someone else shoot it and see if they experience the same problem.

LedShed
01-01-2012, 10:10 AM
The group I get is about 10", it is always up and right, and that's at 25 yds.
I have a friend that I could let shoot it who has done quite a bit of 45-70 shooting too.

btroj
01-01-2012, 10:25 AM
10" at 25 yards?

That is beyond just stringing.

What load? I wuld expect even the worst loads to shoot better than that at 25 yards. is this a heavy load where a bitof a flinch is a problem?

The constant stringing makes me think it is a binding problem but I would expect that to be more in the range of 40 to 6 inches at 100 yards.

Something is seriously wrong.

LedShed
01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
That's just it this happens with light through heavy loads.
I'm seriously considering getting rid of this rifle and getting another one.
This is the first time I've had any trouble with a Marlin but I guess
anyone can put out a bad one every now and then.