PDA

View Full Version : Hornady anneal kit

TNsailorman
12-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Does anybody have and use a Hornady annealing kit? I am thinking about getting one and wonder about its effectiveness. They are not cheap and I was trying to decide if they are worth the money. You thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks, James

3006mv
12-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I have one, it is kinda expensive but it comes w/ three holders made of aluminum and have a stud on the other end for use with a drill. You can make your own shell holder w/ a correct length tool socket and opening w/ an adapter for a drill (length should be shorter than the shoulder of your brass). You want the opening loose enough to be able to easily drop the case into a bucket of water, then put the next piece of brass in. It also comes w/ some 450 degree tempilaq (http://www.tempil.com/) in a bottle w/ brush. You brush this 1/4" below the shoulder and then let dry. (You can buy this at a welding shop) . Anyway I digress, the kit works and you don't have to shop around to piece it out. You are paying for convenience.
So basically the set up is have your propane burner on a table heat the brass till the tempilaq melts then drop the hot case into water to submerge it and stop the heat from going further down past where the tempilaq was, you do not want to get the base of the case so hot that it becomes soft. There is a learning curve, once you get used to how long it takes for the tempilaq to melt (different times for different calibers you can even forgo the use of it altogether, saving you more time (and money)).

DCM
12-31-2011, 02:21 AM
+1 on what 3006 said. A cheap power adapter for a socket and some Tempilac will do ya.

TNsailorman
12-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had just about talked myself into one of those kits but wanted to hear from someone who had used them before I took the plung. James