PDA

View Full Version : My 1st buck in SC

swat113
12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Finally after an 11yr drought (since moving from Pa) I shot this 5 point on Thanksgiving Day @ 0730 hrs. No it wasn't with a boolit but I did build the rifle myself.
Savage 110 action, 264 win mag, McGowen sendero contour match barrel with Nikon 3x9x50, load was 60 gr. Reloader 25 with 125 gr nosler ballistic tip. If it makes ya'all feel better, I'm going hunting tomorrow and only taking my ruger new vaquero with the loads Mumbly and I rolled. Happy New Year to all.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_110194efe25ed9ac97.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3185)

richhodg66
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice! I grew up in the central part of S.C. It seems funny now to see a guy in a hunting picture wearing a short sleeved Tee shirt, but that is how it is there. Enjoy that long season and liberal bag limit they have there, even if the deer don't get real big.

swat113
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Nice! I grew up in the central part of S.C. It seems funny now to see a guy in a hunting picture wearing a short sleeved Tee shirt, but that is how it is there. Enjoy that long season and liberal bag limit they have there, even if the deer don't get real big.

Thanks Rich, I shot him in Chester county, your right they don't get real big around here but they sure taste good.:drinks:

barnabus
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
sent ya a pm swat113

reload68
12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the Palmetto state. Bet it's a tad different than shoving your whole season into 2 weeks isn't it? What's up with Pa's DNR making everyone get in the woods at the same time? Sounds kinda dangerous to me.
Welcome again
David

richhodg66
12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
In Orangeburg County, the season ran from August 15th through the end of the year and there wasn't a bag limit, but I think you were only supposed to shoot bucks back then (I'm sure they allow does now). I always wondered why they even bothered to ever close the season.

I like deer hunting in Kansas better though. Between muzzle loader and the other various seasons we have plus Fort Riley's, I can get a lot of deer hunting with a rifle done during the year, and this year's fawns are about as big as deep south deer ever get now.