PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 45 ACP conversion ejector

roysha
12-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Well I received my kit a couple of days ago and all is going well. However, the ejector that was sent with the kit is, to put it politely, HOKEY!!

How are you folks handling the ejector situation?

W.R.Buchanan
12-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Roy: I haven't gotten that far yet,, still waiting for my kit to arrive, was supposed to ship last Wed.

But I already know the ejector is hokey, and there is no shame in saying it. It just is..

I have looked at this problem for some time but have not come up with a better way... Yet!

There needs to be somethng that goes into the thumb slot in the receiver that acts as a bolt stop and an ejector mounting position, however short of drilling and tapping holes to mount it I see no easy way. Plus , if you do screw it in place you can't remove the bolt without removing the device. Maybe a thumb screw would be the ticket.

I'll cogitate some more, I know something can be worked out.

Realistically the action should work exactly like it does with the longer cartrridge except with a shorter stroke. This is what we want. Moving and mounting the stock Ejector housing to a new mount farther forward would be the ideal solution.

Randy

greywuuf
12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
I am just going to live with mine as is...( meaning the original at the rear of the action) it is an elegant solution to bolt removal and a good teaching aid to my youngsters to not Short stroke a bolt....Yes the one provided with the kick looked hockey to me, but it does seem to do the intended job... still not going to use it ;-)

badgeredd
01-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I opted for a full length stroke. Probably not the best solution but as said the kit included ejector is plain hokey looking. I also see a problem with the after-market contraption snagging on stuff. I've been noodling over the problem and may (?) try to figure out a better fix, but I doubt it. Mine seems to work fine with the original ejector albeit a long stroke is required.

Edd

W.R.Buchanan
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Edd: If the stock ejector works and the case doesn't get hung up in the bolt race then the long stroke is a mute point. You just live with it. At least you would be developing any bad habits like short stroking.

My kit should be here today so I can have a good look at it and decide what to do.

Randy

Larry Gibson
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I used the original ejector on mine. Had ejection probles with the cases doing a 180 and ending in the hole in the mag behind the mag filler. Made a filler block to fill the hole but haven't solved the 180 flip around problem yet. One ejector broke because it bent and the bolt lug smacked it. They are made short for the M93 actions so they are then too short (in my opinion) for the M98s. I got some good steel the correct thickness and made a new one to fit the M98's thumb recess length. This extended the ejector a bit. I also mad it "beefier" in width where possible. I hardened it and then drew the temper to slightly softer than a spring temper. I've made 3 of them now and they all are working very well in the M98s. It has also solved about 50% of the 180 flip arounds of the cases. I'm godgetating on a bolt stop to shorten the bolt throw as that may sove the rest of the flip arounds of the cases for positive ejection.

Even with the tinkering, tweaking and modifications I'm enjoying my .45 ACP M98 and am finding it a lot of fun to shoot.

Larry Gibson

dano440
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I used the original ejector on mine. Had ejection probles with the cases doing a 180 and ending in the hole in the mag behind the mag filler. Made a filler block to fill the hole but haven't solved the 180 flip around problem yet. One ejector broke because it bent and the bolt lug smacked it. They are made short for the M93 actions so they are then too short (in my opinion) for the M98s. I got some good steel the correct thickness and made a new one to fit the M98's thumb recess length. This extended the ejector a bit. I also mad it "beefier" in width where possible. I hardened it and then drew the temper to slightly softer than a spring temper. I've made 3 of them now and they all are working very well in the M98s. It has also solved about 50% of the 180 flip arounds of the cases. I'm godgetating on a bolt stop to shorten the bolt throw as that may sove the rest of the flip arounds of the cases for positive ejection.

Even with the tinkering, tweaking and modifications I'm enjoying my .45 ACP M98 and am finding it a lot of fun to shoot.

Larry Gibson

I was wondering how the ejector was going to work on my turkish 98 myself I hope to have my kit in a couple of weeks. I was wondering about the ejector and in hopes to come up with a better idea myself.

W.R.Buchanan
01-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Well my kit didn't get here today and infact they didn't ship it last Wed, they were on vacation all last week. Supposed to ship tomarrow.(this wed)

Larry: Does the case run into the right side of the receiver when it gets hung up?

If so, maybe soldering (or welding if it works) an extension onto the front of the bolt stop, so the bolt couldn't go back as far into the rear receiver ring. Seems like if the right side of the action is open where the cartridge gets bumped by the ejector it should fly clear. As it sits now the bolt face is about 1/2" inside the rear ring at full travel which would prevent a clear shot out the side.

Does tilting the rifle to the right help at all?

Randy

Larry Gibson
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
W.R.Buchanan

Larry: Does the case run into the right side of the receiver when it gets hung up?

Doesn't really get "hung up"....it spins around, bounces off the side of the right rear receiver ring back into the action. With the block behind the mag filler the case falls out with a flick of the rifle to the right.....just an occasional annoyance is all.

If so, maybe soldering (or welding if it works) an extension onto the front of the bolt stop, so the bolt couldn't go back as far into the rear receiver ring.

Codgetated over that but if you look at how the bolt stop works with the bolt release you can't extend it forward of the bolt stop slot in the receiver or you couldn't get the bolt in or out. I'm looking at a stop in the left lug race way held in by a screw through the reciever with its back butting up against the real bolt stop for strength. Would have to remove it to get the bolt out though.

Larry Gibson

dano440
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Well my kit didn't get here today and infact they didn't ship it last Wed, they were on vacation all last week. Supposed to ship tomarrow.(this wed)

If so, maybe soldering (or welding if it works) an extension onto the front of the bolt stop, so the bolt couldn't go back as far into the rear receiver ring. Seems like if the right side of the action is open where the cartridge gets bumped by the ejector it should fly clear. As it sits now the bolt face is about 1/2" inside the rear ring at full travel which would prevent a clear shot out the side.

Does tilting the rifle to the right help at all?

Randy

I got a e-mail from them Wednesday say they have been on vacation and they had several orders that came in while they were gone. I ordered mine Wednesday night he said that the orders that came in while they were on vacation would ship out on Thursday. so I am figuring that mine might ship out Monday maybe?

W.R.Buchanan
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
If I don't see mine before next Wed I am going to be pissed.

I have to tell you I do this stuff every day, and when I take an order for one of my Seat Riser kits for Jeeps it goes out the same day. We ship next day on orders that come off Ebay during the evenings or weekends. This is money in my pocket.

I have to call in the CC, my wife has to make the invoice and shipping label, put the kit into a flat rate box and either take it to the Post Office or put it in the mail box. This takes 5 minutes per order, and we charge for that time. It's called Shipping and "Handling"

I make money everytime this happens and it happens about 4-6 times a week, so I'm pretty serious about making it happen!

Sometimes I have to send 20+ kits out at once to one of my vendors. The only time that doesn't happen same day is when I don't have enough kits to make the order, But usually they are being made and I will ship them within the next few days.

Shipping product comes down to getting off your **** and doing it. Not shipping product that is paid for in a timely manner is a sure way to lose business.

How many people do you think are watching this thread? There have been several comments already about slow service. These people have something that we want, and there is a demand for it. By not dealing with customers in a timely and complete manner they invite competition. Believe me this product would not be that hard to knock off.

Randy

Artful
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Randy it's already been bettered - that's why I went with SIA's SMLE conversion - Richard bought a kit from them - didn't eject - didn't feed well all bullet designs in the Mauser - he started looking at a better action to use and better ejection system, then started selling them.

And for the record look up Rhineland's history, they have some very innovative idea's but execution is NOT their strong point from what I've observed.

dano440
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
If I don't see mine before next Wed I am going to be pissed.

I have to tell you I do this stuff every day, and when I take an order for one of my Seat Riser kits for Jeeps it goes out the same day. We ship next day on orders that come off Ebay during the evenings or weekends. This is money in my pocket.

I have to call in the CC, my wife has to make the invoice and shipping label, put the kit into a flat rate box and either take it to the Post Office or put it in the mail box. This takes 5 minutes per order, and we charge for that time. It's called Shipping and "Handling"

I make money everytime this happens and it happens about 4-6 times a week, so I'm pretty serious about making it happen!

Sometimes I have to send 20+ kits out at once to one of my vendors. The only time that doesn't happen same day is when I don't have enough kits to make the order, But usually they are being made and I will ship them within the next few days.

Shipping product comes down to getting off your **** and doing it. Not shipping product that is paid for in a timely manner is a sure way to lose business.

How many people do you think are watching this thread? There have been several comments already about slow service. These people have something that we want, and there is a demand for it. By not dealing with customers in a timely and complete manner they invite competition. Believe me this product would not be that hard to knock off.

Randy

I know I ordered mine sometime after you did (January 4th). would you mine sending me a PM when you get yours so I will know to watch for mine or rattle their cage about my order.

thanks

W.R.Buchanan
01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
They sent me an email today with the tracking # so it has to be coming. UPS from TX to CA is 3-4 days. so it should eb here Mon or tues next week.

Art: I have emailed SIA twice looking for info. Still haven't received an answer. I was going to hit them again and see if they just weren't around when the emails came thru but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nothing frustrates more than NO communication!

I get 20 emails a week inquiring about my product. I answer everyone as soon as I read it. I don't put off this because it is essentially turning away or putting off business.

People willl wait if you acknowledge them, they will go elsewhere if they are ignored.

Randy

dano440
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
They sent me an email today with the tracking # so it has to be coming. UPS from TX to CA is 3-4 days. so it should eb here Mon or tues next week.

Art: I have emailed SIA twice looking for info. Still haven't received an answer. I was going to hit them again and see if they just weren't around when the emails came thru but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nothing frustrates more than NO communication!

I get 20 emails a week inquiring about my product. I answer everyone as soon as I read it. I don't put off this because it is essentially turning away or putting off business.

People willl wait if you acknowledge them, they will go elsewhere if they are ignored.

Randy

I wasn't sure how they were going to ship
thanks for the update

roysha
01-07-2012, 07:57 PM
OK, so who/what is SIA? Google give me nothing relevant to this topic.

bruce drake
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Special Interest Arms

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php?page=home

roysha
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks.

Artful
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
SIA's ejector solution was a spring loaded plunger that screws in from a newly tapped hole in the side of the receiver pops out and gets reset when you run the bolt forward.

dano440
01-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Larry Gibson

I got my magazine adapter stuck in with only one pin so I can fine tune the angle on the magazine and I think I am happy with that part. the ejector I now see the 180 flip around problem and the cavity problem behind the magazine.

I am wondering what if a person made one quite a bit longer than the original up to the back of the magazine, or maybe a pin that went thought the side of the receiver that threaded in and caught the slot in the locking lug.
the only problem with longer one would be keeping inline with the locking lug slot.

dano440
01-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Larry do you have any problems with the magazine wanting to go to far up? and blocking the bolt? mine works fine as long as the bolt is closed when you put the magazine in. almost need some kind of stop for it.

Larry Gibson
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Larry do you have any problems with the magazine wanting to go to far up? and blocking the bolt? mine works fine as long as the bolt is closed when you put the magazine in. almost need some kind of stop for it.

That is one of the "nuances" you need to get used to. I insert the mag until the mag catch clicks in and then stop. If you want to do a quick "shove it in" load then best to do it when the bolt is closed.

Larry Gibson

Artful
01-13-2012, 03:05 AM
Push in and pull back to make sure locked in at correct position.

roysha
01-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I had initially decided to just full length stroke the bolt, but ran into the same issue that another poster had with the case hitting the inside of the receiver and doing a 180 degree into the magazine well.

So, after going through multitudinous drawers of junk many times, I came across a complete ejector assembly for a JAP 7.7. After quite a bit of modifying to the housing and reshaping the ejector itself, I am satisfied with the result, both aesthetically and functionally.

I did extend the ejector slot in the rear bridge into the thumb notch to allow the use of the longer ejector. A cutoff disc in the Fordham tool did the job very nicely. It is not a structural issue, as far as I'm concerned, and can be welded back shut if I ever felt the need.

JAP ejector housing.JPG (81.6 KB)
JAP ejector housing top, bolt closed.JPG (73.9 KB)
JAP ejector housing top, bolt open.JPG (66.7 KB)
JAP ejector slot extension.JPG (82.0 K

W.R.Buchanan
01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Roy: that looks like a good fix. I was looking at doing something similar, by either welding two ejector boxes together or maybe making a new one.

I want to have the bolt stop up there in the thumb cutout also, and that's why I was looking at using another ejector box. I bought one at the gun show Saturday for $5, just to try and it looks possible.

I wanted to avoid cutting the slot in the receiver ring if at all possible. I agree it is not a strength issue, but I like to modify as little as possible when doing conversions.

Randy

dano440
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
has anyone come up with a idea for the void behind the magazine.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I made a block out of aluminum to fill the void. If a case stays in there a quick flickof the rifle and its out.

Larry Gibson

dano440
01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
that's pretty slick and give me and idea myself.

Thanks Larry

Dano

lreed
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Hello. My Rhinelander kit is from the first the first marketing, was for a small ring Mauser. The action I had on hand was a 95 with no thumb slot, so the ejector furnished with the kit was useless. I extended the ejector cut farther down the action following the bolt guide rib and made a new ejector that replaces the guide rib and ejects empty about half bolt travel. Looks and operates very well. I have found round nose cast works best for feeding. I'm still tweaking the extractor to keep push feeds to a minimum. On my rifle at least a special bolt operating cadence seems to help, not fast but never slow, ''smartly'' all in all a fun rifle to tinker with.
lreed

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Somebody school me please. Are we really talking about a 45 acp kit for a Mauser M98?

dano440
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
yes check this out.

http://www.troupsystems.com/MAUSER/mauser_conversions.htm

basically you strip a Mauser of its barrel and identify what ring and what thread it is then place a order for the correct kit ($160 shipping included) install new barrel and head space it (much like you do a savage rifle locking ring) the remove the floorplate from the magazine box install magazine adapter.

* Donor rifle (Mauser style 93,95,98)
* 1911 magazine release (assembly (release, spring, locking pin)) and extended one will work better but a stock one will work.
* 1911 45 ACP Magazine
* the correct conversion kit

My donor rifle cost me $104.16 out the door, $7 sarco el cheapo 7 round magazine, $10 magazine release assembly, $160 conversion kit, so I have about $281 or there's about in it and about 5 hours of work ( 4 hour extra work I didn't really need to do but did any way.)

extra work I did but didn't need to do, examples

* squared the front ring face
* squared the bolt face and polished it
* lapped the locking lugs to 80% contact
* stripped all metal and slow rust blued everything
* soldered on old sight from donor rifle
* salvaged old stock and hand guard
* modified two stage trigger in to single stage trigger
* installing a turn down bolt handle
* drilling for scope and or peep sights

Larry Gibson
01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Somebody school me please. Are we really talking about a 45 acp kit for a Mauser M98?

You betcha! Absolutely more fun than should be allowed:-D

Larry Gibson

Tiamat
04-06-2015, 08:45 PM
http://www.gundigest.com/gunsmithing-articles/gunsmithing-mauser-part2

W.R.Buchanan
04-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Tiamat: Thanks for that article. I had shelved my project due to the exact problems this guy solved. I can make all the parts he did and will probably modify his design a little to suit my build, but this gave me a new place to start.

Can you put up a link to the first article in this series?

Randy

nekshot
04-12-2015, 03:15 PM
any one ever come up with a extracter for a mauser like a savage 340? I stopped playing with the mausers because of the extracter issues.(in the context of using pistol cartridges) The carcano is another candidate for 357 or 9mm 0r 38 super if we could install a savage type extracter. Thats way over my head to make but it would increase the fun facter!

Artful
04-13-2015, 12:43 AM
Can you put up a link to the first article in this series?
Randy

Part 1
http://www.gundigest.com/gunsmithing-articles/gunsmithing-mauser-part1
Part 2
http://www.gundigest.com/gunsmithing-articles/gunsmithing-mauser-part2

W.R.Buchanan
04-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks Art!

Randy