PDA

View Full Version : anyone else fry summer sausage for breakfast

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I had a partner at work that did it and turned me on to it. I make my own and it has a bit of brown sugar in it. It taste almost like ham with a slight sweet taste to it when fried. Probably my favorite breakfast sausage anymore.

softpoint
12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
We used to do that at fishing camp, and barbequed the stuff, too. Pretty good grilled on the pit with good BBQ sauce, too:-P

subsonic
12-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Never heard of it, but have done some neat stuff with smoked pork loin for breakfast as well as venison salami. Guess I'll be trying it!

218bee
12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
venison salami with scrambled eggs works for me

44man
12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Mine came out funny but tastes good. It crumbles like dry hamburger.
I used a kit but the grind might have been too fine. I smoked it a day with apple, mulberry and hickory, raised the temp for an internal temp of 150*, then let it dry in he fridge. It really shrunk but I made it so it will not spoil. I added citric acid so it does not need to be frozen or even kept in the fridge.
I would like a good recipe.

subsonic
12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Mine came out funny but tastes good. It crumbles like dry hamburger.
I used a kit but the grind might have been too fine. I smoked it a day with apple, mulberry and hickory, raised the temp for an internal temp of 150*, then let it dry in he fridge. It really shrunk but I made it so it will not spoil. I added citric acid so it does not need to be frozen or even kept in the fridge.
I would like a good recipe.

I haven't made venison sausage yet, but it sounds like you need more pork fat in yours. Deer is so lean it will not stick together without some help from the pig. And the flavor is a bonus.

Now venison is ideal for jerky!

44MAG#1
12-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Makes good gravy too.

44man
12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I haven't made venison sausage yet, but it sounds like you need more pork fat in yours. Deer is so lean it will not stick together without some help from the pig. And the flavor is a bonus.

Now venison is ideal for jerky!
I used a 4.5# pork butt with a lot of fat. Even the skin was ground. So I don't know.

lbaize3
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Canned picnic ham cooked in a good barbeque sauce goes wonderfully with eggs and toast.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2011, 07:49 AM
you could have cooked it to long. What i do is grind my venison and pork seperately through a medium plate. then mix it with together and add your spice and water and cure. then it has to be reground through a fine plate. Its a pain to push that wet mixture through a grinder but your patients will pay off. Stuff the casings and let them sit in the fridge overnight to cure. this is important as it is what really binds the mixture together. What i do is 2 hours at 130 with the vents open no smoke. Then 2 hours 140 vents half open with smoke. Then 2 hours 150 with smoke vents half way again. then i bring the temp up to about 180-200 and smoke till my meat is 145 internal, any more then 150 and you will be drying it out.. You also have to watch where your temp probe is in the meat. IF you hang your summer sausage the end closest to the heat will cook faster. So either flip them over half way through the process or put your probe half way up to compromise. After you take them out you need to place them in ice water until the internal temp gets down to at least a 100 degrees to insure the cooking process has stopped. then i hang them overnight to bloom. doing it like this and using 10lbs of venison to 2.5 lbs of pork but ive never had them dry. Make sure too your using the proper ammount of water called for by the instructions. You arent going to want to grind it courser. If anything when ive tried courser ground meat to save the time of running it through the grinder twice it became a bit crumbly. The ends that are close to the heat will dry out if there not rotated especially if your using a small smoker that doesnt allow enough room between the heat source and the meat. I used to stuggle with this when i had the small electric smoker. With my big one theres plenty of room and i dont have to rotate them.
I used a 4.5# pork butt with a lot of fat. Even the skin was ground. So I don't know.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2011, 07:55 AM
I dont know why i posted this here it should have been posted in the recipe forum maybe someone can move it.

44man
12-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks Lloyd, I think I need a better smoker. I had to bring the temp up in the kitchen oven, the little smoker does not get hot.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Your probalby cooking it to long trying to get it up there. With my big smoker i have to run two electric elements and stoke the wood chip burner to get it to 200 without having to wait to long. When you have that much heat in there its a bugger to keep the ends from getting to close to the heat source unless you have a big cabinet.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2011, 03:01 PM
heres mine the wood chips are in the black lil smokey and it has a gas burner and theres two electric elements in the box.

44man
12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Looks great. Good thinking. :drinks: