PDA

View Full Version : magna port

white eagle
12-30-2011, 12:00 AM
does anyone have first hand experience with the trapezoid ports Magna port uses and cast boolits ?
do the traps effect performance with cast ?? :lovebooli
this is what I am thinking
http://www.magnaport.com/images/480r.jpg
The new Ruger SuperRedhawk .480 is shortened to a 4.80" barrel length. Fine tuned action and crisp trigger, inverted muzzle crown, velvet hone finish, jeweled and polished hammer and trigger and gold bead V-notch sight. The weight of the gun combined with the dual trapezoidal Mag-na-porting makes for easy double action shooting. Factory lettering is removed and the caliber and .480 Advantage logo are added . .

warf73
12-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Holly cow pies batman that is a sweet looking tricked out handgun. The barrel length is very nice and probly balances out that hulk.

sagamore-one
12-30-2011, 07:48 AM
In the early 1980's I had a 5 inch model 27 Smith mag na ported. Currently I have a 6 1/2 inch model 29 that is mag na ported. In side by side comparisons I found little change in perceived felt recoil between ported and non ported guns unless using high intensity light weight bullets. The only thing the ported barrel proved to do better than the non ported barrel is blacken the red ramp insert.
I did a lot of "combat" shooting in the 1980's... even won "B" class, IPSC Indiana with a NON ported model 29 once. Almost all my loads were 429421's cast of lino over 21 to 22 gr of 2400. Practice loads were 10.5 gr of Unique.
Remember Peter the Power Meter ?? I killed one.

sffar
12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I've got two of those ports–one either side of a FA .454 front sight 6" barrel. No experience shooting cast yet. I've read a GC is necessary, so that's what I've been planning for. Honestly I wish the ports were not there, and would have the barrel cut (would leave 5") except for the very high cost to get the work done. Shooting jacketed it seems like there can't be much difference in recoil, as there's still plenty. It does make the front sight base dirty, but mainly it's ridiculously loud. I made the mistake once of letting off a round without my ears on–this was outdoors–and it seriously stung my eardrums. I've forgotten my ears plenty of time, but this was by far the worst. Took a while for things to get back to normal. I'm sure the gun would be loud anyway, but I blame the porting for making it worse.
It does look nice, though.

PbHurler
12-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Wow, what a cannon!
I've never had any issues with my Magnaported 29's. The only "issue", as sagamore-one stated, is the carboning of the front site. Just wipe it off occasionally. I shoot mainly 429421's (plain based), and gas checked bullets on occasion and have had fine accuracy with my favorite loads.
Hope this helps.

454PB
12-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Not Magnaported, but my Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull has round ports at the muzzle.

I shoot cast almost exclusively, and the ports collect boolit lube and also deposit it along the sides of the front sights. I do a major cleaning of same every 200 to 300 rounds, and it takes some major scrubbing.

I see NO advantage to them, they don't reduce recoil that I can notice, but they DO increase muzzle blast. When I go the range with it, everyone along side leaves in short order.

birddog
12-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Been shooting my 29 for 28yrs and had it magna ported at time of purcahse, steady diet of cast and no trouble here.

bobthenailer
12-31-2011, 05:32 PM
i have perhaps 6 guns magnaported and i shoot cast 99% of the time with no problems except some light lead build up on the sides of the front sight base which can be removed easly with a real copper penny.

stubshaft
12-31-2011, 05:50 PM
I have not found mag-na-porting effective in pistols unless you are shooting high intensity loads ala Tenders and Encores.

BOOM BOOM
12-31-2011, 10:43 PM
HI,
In my lifetime I have had 4 guns mag na ported.
The 1st was a 444 marlin. Big difference in perceived recoil, no difference in accuracy.
Then I did a 7mm mag. big difference in perceived recoil , no difference in accuracy.
Then I did my 7MM/06 with the same results.
Then I did a Ruger Redhawk , with the same results.
The effect is more noticeable with heavy bullets & hotter loads.:Fire::Fire:

Snyd
01-01-2012, 03:23 AM
My buddy bought a 480 new and sent it to have the magnaport 480 package done. It's very nice. I've shot it.

I have a 4" Redhawk that started life as a 45 Colt but now is a 454. Shooting 355ers at 1300fps the gun has a lot of muzzle flip and twist/torque. That is until I had it magnaported. It made a HUGE difference in the muzzle flip and torque. magnaport is not really designed to reduce recoil. It is to tame muzzle flip and it does that well. It seems to be more noticeable on a short barreled gun judging by what other guys say who have had 6 or 7.5inch guns done. That would make sense. A short barreled big bore shooting heavy hot loads will jump a lot more than a 7.5 44mag shooting 240's. They don't make the claim that it is a big recoil reducer either. I think they say 15%. Yes, lube and soot exits the ports. Big whoop. It exits the cylinder gap as well. I shoot plane base and gas checks. I'm glad I had it done. I had a rifle done also with the same pleasing results. The 454 RH is still more accurate than me. I have managed to shoot a couple 3rnd cloverleafs at 25 yds with the factory sights and the 355ers. Here a couple pics at 50 yds with 355 and 420gr test loads I was doing with shortened 454 brass so the loads will cycle in my 454 levergun.

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/454Snyd_02.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/422RH_01.jpg