PDA

View Full Version : chayote

MT Gianni
12-29-2011, 11:47 PM
I was visiting my Daughter in SLC and saw this Mexican squash on sale.I liked it when visiting Mexico and figured @ 25 c each I couldn't go wrong. I peeled and boiled two, mashed them with a potato masher and 2 tbsp butter. I put this in an oven proof dish, added 1/2 can of green chiles, [2 oz] 2 tbsp Lime juice, salt, 1/2 cup frozen corn and topped with bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese. Baked it for 20 minutes @ 350 and it turned out great. I think the Australians call it Mirliton.

gwpercle
01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Called mirliton in cajun country also . Have heard them called vegetable pears too. This is my favorite way to fix them. This recipe came from a shrimp boat captian out of Port Fourchon, La.

4 mirliton
1 med. onion chpd.
3 or 4 green onion chpd.
1 or 2 cps. finely chpd. ham
2 cloves chpd. garlic
1/2 stick butter +
3 TAB. butter
1 cp. grated romano cheese
1 lb. raw shrimp, small or roughly chopped if large shrimp.
3 slices white bread soaked in milk or water or 1 cp. unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tea. salt
1/2 tea. pepper
1/4 cp. fresh parsley or 1 tea. dried parsley flakes
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs to top casserole

1) boil mirlitons 30 to 60 mins. till tender and easily pierced with a fork. Remove from water, set aside and let cool. Peel , remove seed, mash with fork set aside
2) grease bottom and sides of pyrex casserole dish. In a saute pan cook onions celery and garlic till translucent and soft in 1/2 stick butter. Next add ham and shrimp to vegetables cook just untill shrimp turn pink.
3) add mirliton and soaked bread ( or bread crumbs ) to vegetable , ham and shrimp mixture. Mix well. If mixture is too wet add dry bread crumbs if too dry add a little milk or water.
4)add in grated cheese, salt pepper and parsley. mix well. Spoon into casserole dish, top with a layer of bread crumbs. Dot top with 3 or 4 TABS. of butter that have been cut into small pieces
5) Bake in 375 F. oven uncovered for approx. 30 mins. till top is lightly browned and casserole is heated through

This makes an 8 in. x 8 in. pan and can be a main dish or served as a side dish; and is very good.