PDA

View Full Version : Lubing 429421 Lyman boolits

Izzoquazzo
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I did a ton of casting/shooting in the 70s but pretty much got out of the whole shooting hobby by the mid 80s. Now I'm back into it. I'll be shooting mostly .44spl and magnum and have my old Lyman 2 cavity 429421 mold which is in excellent shape.

Here's my question. I have an old Lyman 450 lube/sizer with the proper dies but am interested in the Lee tumble lube system. Will that work with the 429421 boolit? I'm sure I can size them faster but will the lube work?

Daddyfixit
12-30-2011, 12:07 AM
I assume your asking if the Lee Alox lube will hold up to 44mag velocities with std boolit style?
Yes, you can use Alox on non micro grove boolits, some here have had great success with higher velocity loads. I tried it in my 44's with mixed reviews. Personal opinion is to save (or spend) your money on other items for your shooting fun!
The Lyman 450 is a good tool. use it! You can lube a fair amount in short order.
Now all the jokes about all the money we're saving buying new equiptment on reloading...:-D

sisiphunter
12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I wasnt happy personally with lla in that boolit from my 6.5" super blaclhawk or my marlin rifle.

Darr lube works at low velocities pan lubed in the revolver but leaded the rifle.

Im tryin yellow dragon lube from up north here at dragon bullet lube. It looks good. Havnt shot it yet though. i also tried rcbs lube. Worked great at 1330fps in my ruger with no leading bit leaded the last inch of a 4" smith n frame for some odd reason.

All leading i gpt was last portion of the barrel showing lube failure. Boolit fit is. 001 over groove as per the usual and cast of 50/50 ww/ranhe scrap (darn near pure Pb). i know its not much info but hope it helps. Matt

Izzoquazzo
12-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Daddy. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into the Lee process. My Lyman 450 is a proven system but it's more time consuming.

mdi
12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Yep alox/xlox will work on non T/L bullets. Should be done after sizing as the bearing surfaces of the bullet need to be lightly coated. I thin alox/xlox with mineral spirits so it dries quicker and less tacky. Another easily made and applied lube is Recluse's 45-45-10 (45% xlox, 45% Johnson's Paste wax, 10% mineral spirits, see stickies for recipes and instructions). I have the same mold and sometimes I just tumble lube them when I'm loading for .44 Specials...