PDA

View Full Version : Good 9mm mold

joed
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for a good mold to use for 9mm. The bullets will be used for bowling pin shoots. What do I want? I've only done cast bullets in revolvers so this is new territory.

Thanks in advance.

JoeD

9.3X62AL
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
I prefer the 120-125 grain truncated cone designs in my 9mm pistols. These have been the most accurate for me over the long haul. I have also used 125 grain Lee RN and Lyman #358121 (heavier 122 grain version) with decent accuracy, but not quite as consistent as the TC designs.

I've posted this a few times, so if you've read it previously I'm sorry........the 9mm is not a real lead-friendly caliber as it comes from the factory. It runs relatively high pressures and uses a ridiculously fast twist around 1-10"/4 turns per meter as well. Most 9mm barrel groove diameters are wider than the nominal standard of .355", too. I treat the 9mm like it's a rifle, because that is what its barrel acts like it is. Fairly hard alloys (92/6/2) in my case--fairly soft lubes (Javelina Alox)--and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I size to slightly exceed throat diameter in my 3 "nines", all of which run between .356" to .3565". Boolits get sized to .357", which I verified with micrometer measurements after sizing in my die. Trust nothing inscribed in/on a sizer die--MEASURE THAT CRITTER'S PRODUCTS. Mine told the truth, but not all dies can pass The Caster's Polygraph (caliper or micrometer).

Good luck with your "Venture Into Lead" in the 9mm.

Sundogg1911
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
i like the Lee 125 gr, TC mold as an all around 9mm bullet. i also have an RCBS 124 gr. round nose, but i have feed problems with that one. my wifes Hi-Power shoots a 147 gr. a little better than the lighter ones. my Taurus PT111 likes the 125 Lees. i have an RCBS 95 gr. rn, that i load in .380 in my Daughters PPK, and i've loaded that round in 9mm for plinking, but it's not great for that purpose

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
My favorite 9mm bullet is the rcbs 115 round nose. It shoots real well in my trojan even with very light loads. The 121 version is very simular and shoots well too but dont buy the target version as its a bugger to get to feed.

Buckshot
03-02-2007, 03:52 AM
................Never shot bowling pins before but maybe more mass and a bit less velocity may be good? My Witness (CZ75 clone) does well with 124gr TC slugs but REALLY likes the Lyman 147gr FNBB.

.................Buckshot

scrapcan
03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I have had the same success as Buckshot with the 124 gr TC and the lyman 147 bbfn (Springfield p9 (CZ clone), Ruger p89, Glock 19). I size at 357 or 358 depending on gun. I have a saeco mold that I use for both 9mm and 38/357 I think it is No. 377 and is listed at 122 TCBB. It drops large and about 125 grains in my allow. Feeds and shoots great.

Be careful with seating depth. But if you have loaded 9mm or 40 before you know pressures change quickly. I have a saeco mold that I use for both 9mm and 38/357 I think it is No. 377 and is listed at 122 TCBB. It drops large and about 125 grains in my allow. Feeds and shoots great. I have mainly used bullseye and unique powder, but let you loading manual and testing be your guide.

One other item is if you tumble lube make sure wyou constantly watch your seater die to make srue it is not filling up with lube. I have quit using lee tumble lube fo rthis reason with the 9mm. Even after set up it will pull lube off the noses and pretty soon you are not seating as you expected. If you stand teh bollits up on their bases to lube and then only lube the driving part it does not seem to do this to the sizer die. Others experience may vary.

The 9mm is not really and ideal pin gun even when accurate. It may take you several shots to clear one off the table when another cartridge will clear it with a good whack. Our club has int eh past used a different setup for 9mm and 22, we set the pins a foot fromt eh back edge instead of a foot from the front edge. You will get flack form teh guys who shoot with a major power factor, but hey atleast you are outhere shooting.

If you have not shot pins alot, there is a sweet spot on the pin that is about the size of a soda can just a little lower than center on the bottom of the pin. You hit in there and the pin is moving. Other wise you get dead wood as they say. Pins are a hoot to shoot, nothing quite like shooting a reactive target.

Have fun.

monadnock#5
03-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I'll speak for the Lyman 356402, 121 grain TCPB. I have no idea what it do on bowling pins, but I will say it is one of my top five moulds for ease of use in any caliber. That mould just loves to drop clean, shiny, well filled out boolits.

Ken