PDA

View Full Version : Need Mosin modification opinions

wallenba
12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I've been planning a winter project in my head for a while, it's getting near time to start. I want to cut down one of my 91/30's to a carbine. The two finalists come down to a 1938 Tula all matching numbers, and a plain stock. The upper forend has brass endcaps. The other is a 1940 Tula with mismatched and electro-penciled bolt and magazine. But,...it is a laminate stock with number scrubbed.

I can't decide whether or not to swap the stocks and keep the laminate intact, or keep the all matching numbers together, and cut down the laminate stock.

I have already ordered an M38 forend and new, screw type sling escutheons from Numrich. Next, I'll need to learn some wood carving skills and figure out what to do about the front sight. I plan on using the re-crowning tools Brownells sell. I may be in over my head, but I'm risking only a cheap Mosin. Basically I guess I'll end up with a 91/59.

JeffHolt
12-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Myself, I'd keep the 38 Tula w/ brass caps and all matching #s as it is.
the bras cap could mean the stock has been replaced or it comes from an earlier version perhaps even a M-91. Someone else may know more about that than me.

If you're gonna bubba up a Mosin would it not make sense to bubba up one that is already bubba'd?
One question: Is the serial number the same for the bolt and the receiver on the 1940 Tula? If so, that's the one I'd work on. If they don't match I'd have the headspacing checked and corrected if necessary.
Just my 2 cents.
Jeff

wallenba
12-29-2011, 09:56 PM
On the 1940 nothing matches. The reciever serial number is electro-penciled over the magazine serial number, and the original serial number on the bolt has been scrubbed off, and the reciever number penciled on that too. The headspace on all my rifles have been checked A-OK.
The dilema is whether or not to put the laminate on the matching numbers 1938 and ignore the fact that the stock has no number at all. I don't mind at all cutting down the mismatched 1940, I just flinch at messing with the laminate stock.

Also, does this mod qualify as a Bubba if it keeps it's military look?:-?

Jack Stanley
12-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Probably only matters if you are wanting to sell it to a collector . As a shooter more than collector I would tend to look at the quality of the work and ask myself will it hit where the sights are looking accurately ?

A 91/59 is about my favorite Mosin of all of them , the crown is perfect and the sight centered perfectly .

Jack

Hang Fire
12-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Dutch, I have a prebubbarized MN carbine picked up for 25 bucks few years ago and it is a lot of fun, so long as I stay away from the mule kicking, flame throwing/concussion grenade milsurp ammo. Guy that had it was working in a filling station back in 1967 and traded $2.00 worth of gas for it. It is a Tula and barrel is stamped 1937, who ever cut her down slipped a Lyman ramp front sight on it.

It was so ugly, I made up a riser cheek piece, reworked a cheap scout mount, scoped, and it is my delegated truck gun. Has a terrific .314" bore and with cast boolits very accurate.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/SSC3_op_800x366.jpg

loosenuts57
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm a big Mosin fan and just bought a sporter project just so I didn't have to hack up my nice ones, LOL
If you plan on chopping of the barrel, I would recommend the '40 mismatch. I would probably try to find another stock to cut down and keep the laminated whole, even if you just put it on your '38 Tula every once in a while. I see M44 stocks on Fleebay and GB if you want to use a carbine stock. Otherwise, I probably have a few chopped MN stocks I have gotten over the years and find one that might fit your needs, I'll have to look.
I didn't see what/ if you had planned on scoping it (I have started due to old eyes) but I have recently bought some very good scout mounts and scopes that I have been happy with, but there is one thing that I can't stress enough; you do get what you pay for with this kind of set up so you do need to spend a few bucks, but now I don't have to drill and tap any unissued m44 OR Finn m39s.

wallenba
12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Hang Fire, they are all purdy to me! I plan on keeping the forend part and sling slot on mine though

Loosenuts57, I don't wish to buy stuff already made, this is also a test of my abilities sort of. Just to say, 'I did it'. I have kinda decided that since all lot of my Mosins (I have seven ) don't have visible numbers on their stocks at all, that putting the un-numbered laminated stock with the matching numbers rifle would be best. I did buy an M38 forend from Numrich because I have not figured out how to get the endcaps off and back on after shortening. Minor concession.
I'm going over to Brownells website later to put some tools on the wish list. If this goes OK, I'll do another. Next time, I'll go shopping for a new candidate. This will be my 'cabin fever' project for the winter, gonna take it real slow. I do have an S&K type scout scope mount for a 91/30 and will probably mount that temporarily while I learn how to remount the iron sight. I don't have a long relief scope, but do have a Red dot.

roverboy
12-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Hang Fire, you stole that thing for 25 bucks. Good deal. Sure it wouldn't win a beauty contest but, should be a great beater. What length did they cut the barrel? I kinda like it really.

MBTcustom
12-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I would chop the '40, laminated stock and all. Unless you have another rifle right handy to put it on. What you could do is get on numrich and order a "new" stock for it. But if your'e like me, that laminated stock will just end up sitting in the corner collecting dust instead of being used for a good purpose. Besides, we're talkin about mosin negants here, not '09 Argentines.

Hardcast416taylor
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
For a sporter stock look on Boyd`s gunstock site. You can get a fully finished, drop in stock for $69.Robert

Hang Fire
12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Hang Fire, you stole that thing for 25 bucks. Good deal. Sure it wouldn't win a beauty contest but, should be a great beater. What length did they cut the barrel? I kinda like it really.

I really like it with cast, I size 180 grain 8mm (.324") down to 316" and she puts them where I can hold. I have come to get more than a little attached to it myself.

Barrel is just shy of 20 inches.

This is the way I reworked the 15 dollar scout mount: http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/early.html#

milsurp mike
12-31-2011, 02:14 AM
I have a wooden m44 carbine stock or a wooden 91-30 stock I will trade you for the laminated 91-30 Stock.I have been looking for a laminated stock to put an Action I have in.Mike

Multigunner
12-31-2011, 02:19 AM
If you intend to cut a Mosin Nagant long rifle down always check the condition of the rifling midway up the bore.

I'd heard long ago about peasant soldiers slamming the end of the steel cleaning rid hard against the boltface which caused the rod to vibrate tapping down the lands with every stroke. This results in distorted and beaten down lands. If the barrel is cut back enough to reach this area of wear accuracy is problematic.
I've seen this condition on a barrel cut to 18 inches, its not pretty.
Not all are like that, but its something to look for.

They seem to have trained their troops better in later years, so most WW2 and later rifles aren't affected.

badbob454
12-31-2011, 03:57 AM
save the laminated stock and dont cut up the matching no's gun , try evilbay they have some gun stocks now might be, one to fit your' n

loosenuts57
12-31-2011, 08:35 AM
I always enjoyed making whatever needed with the small shop my late father had, so good for you if you can make the stuff you need. right now I have way too many projects to take on another, and am happy with the recent Bubba I bought. I'll mess with it some more once i get caught up.
The only Mosins I saw with SN on their stocks were Hungarian and I think Polish M44s, and some real old stuff, so your good to go with your Lammy on the matching rifle.
That'll be a great cabin fever project this winter! I'm going to work on AKs this winter, then get back to the Mosins and one Mauser

revolver junkie
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
don't know if your in the market for a scope mount but a company called brass stacker makes one that bolts into the pin holes
looks pretty solid. thinking thats what i'm gonna do with the one i just bought
thing shoots as good as i can with irons and surplus ammo

revolver junkie
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM
loose nuts i just read your signature LOL "fight crime shoot back!"
im gonna have to add that to my signature if its ok with you

singleshot
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I put synthetic stocks on two of mine. $48 apiece, I think? Vast improvement! Cut both barrels, one 16", one 20". I like the 16" barrel, the 20" just sits in the gun case. I put a scout mount reddot on it. Everyone who's shot that rifle loves it! :)

loosenuts57
01-03-2012, 08:29 AM
loose nuts i just read your signature LOL "fight crime shoot back!"
im gonna have to add that to my signature if its ok with you

Revolver Junkie go right ahead!! I used to have a bumper sticker with that on my old Ford truck. I didn't come up with it, but it reflects my feeling on crime quite well.:smile: