PDA

View Full Version : building a new reloading bench

dano440
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I am looking for some ideas for my new reloading bench. to be more accurate a way to mount press to the bench that can be easily removed or changed out. I have 3 MEC shotgun presses and RCBS Jr. press, and my lube sizer, and a vise. that I would like to figure out some kind of adapter plate system or maybe something like a receiver hitch design for quick change out or to have a clear bench for a little gunsmithing.

anyone got any pearls of wisdom??

calaloo
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Simplicity rules. I have all my equipment mounted to 3/4 inch oak boards that extend about 1 inch from either side and use "C" clamps. Cheap, works great, and units are rock solid.

12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I use 2x12 1' long. That id 12"x12" . I have my pres's mt on it . I use 4 ea. 3/4" bolts to blot the board to my table. I have a 12x12 on ea. press and it is easy to take one off and mt the next one in to the same holes.

Ickisrulz
12-29-2011, 07:24 PM
There's Pat Marlin's Rock Dock and Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system. Just run a search on these and you'll find lots of information and pictures.

dano440
12-29-2011, 11:34 PM
There's Pat Marlin's Rock Dock and Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system. Just run a search on these and you'll find lots of information and pictures.

there are some good ideas

schutzen
12-29-2011, 11:48 PM
There is a system designed by one of the older gun writers (sorry, I forgot his name) that uses dovetailed 3/4 inch boards that slide into a slot in the bench top.

The system I use is 12"X14" aluminum plates that bolt to the bench top. Inleted in the bench top are 4 each 3/4" Stainless Steel bolts with 3/8" threaded wells in the top of the bolt heads. The aluminum plates bolt into the SS bolts to anchor the presses. This works very well with mounts similar to the Dillon Strong Mount.

Mossy Nugget
12-30-2011, 12:49 AM
I use 2x12 1' long. That id 12"x12" . I have my pres's mt on it . I use 4 ea. 3/4" bolts to blot the board to my table. I have a 12x12 on ea. press and it is easy to take one off and mt the next one in to the same holes.

I did this too. I used T-nuts under the table so they stay put in the wood while the bolts are out. Cheap, versatile, and solid way to use a tiny 2' X 4' workbench for multiple presses.

geargnasher
12-30-2011, 01:51 AM

+1. Check out patmarlins dot com for lots of good pics and order info.

Gear

shotman
12-30-2011, 04:35 AM
as for your Mecs they have a base mount. that works to interchange their presses. I drilled and tapped it for the supersizer too.
If you mount it to front edge of bench , you can drill it for the Lee loadmaster

dano440
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
There is a system designed by one of the older gun writers (sorry, I forgot his name) that uses dovetailed 3/4 inch boards that slide into a slot in the bench top.

The system I use is 12"X14" aluminum plates that bolt to the bench top. Inleted in the bench top are 4 each 3/4" Stainless Steel bolts with 3/8" threaded wells in the top of the bolt heads. The aluminum plates bolt into the SS bolts to anchor the presses. This works very well with mounts similar to the Dillon Strong Mount.

do you have any pictures???

dano440
12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
all of these are good ideas and I am following up on some of them with great interest. the Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system, really got my attention, it would allow me to have clear workbench when I am not reloading. does anyone know if someone makes these for sale.

geargnasher
12-31-2011, 02:54 AM
Beanflip came up with what seems to be a really super idea for an underbench, no-drill press mount and was going to patent it. I don't know how that turned out or if we'll ever be able to buy one or buy the rights to make one. Check out post #401 in the reloading bench picture thread.

Gear

Matt_G
12-31-2011, 12:14 PM
do you have any pictures???

You want pictures? :mrgreen:
Take a look at this thread. Lots of pictures. You'll see some great ideas after spending some time looking at that thread...
Loading Bench Pics (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12392)

Matt_G
12-31-2011, 01:01 PM
BTW, the old gun writer who came up with that system of dove-tailed boards was Wiley Clapp.
There are pictures of a members bench utilizing that system in Post 125 of that thread I linked to above.

dano440
01-02-2012, 12:20 AM
BTW, the old gun writer who came up with that system of dove-tailed boards was Wiley Clapp.
There are pictures of a members bench utilizing that system in Post 125 of that thread I linked to above.

do you know anyone that has used the dovetail? do they have any problem with expansion with humidity and plates getting stuck in the top??

Matt_G
01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
do you know anyone that has used the dovetail? do they have any problem with expansion with humidity and plates getting stuck in the top??

Other than Patrick L, the guy who posted those pictures, no I don't know anyone who is using that system.

higgins
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't have a decicated reloading bench, so in the garage I use my workbench. The only press I use that requires any pressure to operate is the Rockchucker I use to FL size bottleneck cases. I mounted it on a 2x8 board long enough that it only requires one bolt about 8" back from the edge of the bench to secure it. Use an eye bolt with a big washer and wing nut under the bench top and you won't need tools on either end to get it tight enough. After using this for several years, I never notice the hole in the workbench top. When the Rockchucker isn't in use I set it on the shelf above the workbench using the same bolt through a hole in the shelf to keep it in place. For all the other metallic reloading steps, and for the complete handgun loading cycle, I use my ancient Spartan press mounted on a pedestal that I can move around in the den. I have MEC shotshell reloaders mounted on a piece of board and only use a C-clamp to secure them to the workbench since a lot of operating leverage isn't needed.

dano440
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't have a decicated reloading bench, so in the garage I use my workbench. The only press I use that requires any pressure to operate is the Rockchucker I use to FL size bottleneck cases. I mounted it on a 2x8 board long enough that it only requires one bolt about 8" back from the edge of the bench to secure it. Use an eye bolt with a big washer and wing nut under the bench top and you won't need tools on either end to get it tight enough. After using this for several years, I never notice the hole in the workbench top. When the Rockchucker isn't in use I set it on the shelf above the workbench using the same bolt through a hole in the shelf to keep it in place. For all the other metallic reloading steps, and for the complete handgun loading cycle, I use my ancient Spartan press mounted on a pedestal that I can move around in the den. I have MEC shotshell reloaders mounted on a piece of board and only use a C-clamp to secure them to the workbench since a lot of operating leverage isn't needed.

I have used clamps on my mec's before and it works pretty good. since i was building from scratch I was thinking I would try and make it look nice and make it multipurpose bench to clean guns and do a little gunsmithing on.

so far on my project I have gathered up two utility cabinets from work 21w x 84 t x 24 d. and built a 24 x 60 bench with out a top at the moment. I have the cabinets on each side of the bench at the moment to see if that going to work for me or to put them both on the same side.

dano440
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
still working on it.

still a lot to still figure out.
bench top in just some scrap I had around while I experiment, the good stuff is stored away

Vinne
01-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Lee makes a great quick change setup. Loosen 4 screws, swap presses and tighten screws back. Set comes with base and 3 blocks and you can buy more ( set of 4 is like $10 ) or cut your own!! Works great for me.

dano440
01-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Lee makes a great quick change setup. Loosen 4 screws, swap presses and tighten screws back. Set comes with base and 3 blocks and you can buy more ( set of 4 is like $10 ) or cut your own!! Works great for me.

how thick are the blocks???

higgins
01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
You might also keep your eyes open for old, sturdy solid wood kitchen cabinets and counter tops that get get ripped out daily when people "upgrade" to particle board and veneer or stone countertops. Phone a couple of remodeling contractors or put an ad in the local online want ads. Much of what is removed is rotted or flimsy, but there's a lot of well-built cabinets looking for a new home, and I'll bet a lot of it is free for the asking if you'll haul it off.

dano440
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM
as you can see I have a lack of space for my toys, I got to come up with a change out method

still a work in progress

wv109323
01-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a system that works like this. The top of my bench is made up of two layers of 3/4" plywood. The front edge of the top has a 2X10 lying on it's side under the two sheets of plywood. This leaves a "T" slot where I make inserts to place in the void.
The bottom sheet of plywood has an opening of 14" X 12". The top sheet has an opening of 12"X 11" centered over the 14X12 opening. I then made inserts that would fit in the opening. I took two pieces of 3/4" plywood to make the inserts. I put a 12X11 on a 14 X 12 with the two pieces flush on the front. I mounted one reloading tool to each insert and left one insert plain to use as a flat top bench.
Works much like Pat Marlins system except uses plwood.
If you need a picture throw me an e-mail address. The system is solid enough to use with any press including a RCBS Rockchucker.

hk33ka1
01-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I built a modified version of these plans, and have seen others build the exact bench.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

hunter64
01-10-2012, 12:06 AM
I bought the RockDock from Pat Marlin and couldn't be happier. I router-ed it into the top of the bench and made a piece of plywood to cover it over when it is not in use. I didn't need the lube heater attachment so I just ordered the dock without it. No more fumbling around looking for mounting bolts and the top of the bench looking like it got shot with buckshot.

I have my Dillon 550, Dillon 650, 2- Lyman 450 luber's, my first single stage RCBS jr. that I bought in '72 and even a small fly tying vise that I set up when I need to go fishing. They slide in and out with very little effort and are rock solid and take less than 1 minute to change from one machine to another one. Love it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/plywood.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/dillon5502.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/Dillon550.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/1964bigfoot/RCBSJr.jpg

dano440
01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I bought the RockDock from Pat Marlin and couldn't be happier. I router-ed it into the top of the bench and made a piece of plywood to cover it over when it is not in use. I didn't need the lube heater attachment so I just ordered the dock without it. No more fumbling around looking for mounting bolts and the top of the bench looking like it got shot with buckshot.

I have my Dillon 550, Dillon 650, 2- Lyman 450 luber's, my first single stage RCBS jr. that I bought in '72 and even a small fly tying vise that I set up when I need to go fishing. They slide in and out with very little effort and are rock solid and take less than 1 minute to change from one machine to another one. Love it.

now that's pretty cool!!! I didn't think about recessing the RockDocks into counter top, that was the problem I had with them, but flushing them with the counter top really is a great idea!!!.

Jal5
01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice start Dano! You might want to try some pegboard on that back wall...very handy for hanging up tools and such. Wish I had done that with mine. The cabinets will be a great addition, you never have enough room. I would overbuild the bench top itself- I always seem to need more room than I first plan on for a project. Joe

dano440
01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Nice start Dano! You might want to try some pegboard on that back wall...very handy for hanging up tools and such. Wish I had done that with mine. The cabinets will be a great addition, you never have enough room. I would overbuild the bench top itself- I always seem to need more room than I first plan on for a project. Joe

so far it beats what I was using and lot more space. it looks like a have a new plan for the counter top now. I got some more parts to start doing the finish work trim & etc. so another busy couple of nights and a weekend and the next stage will be done and ready for part 3. my goal is to be done with it by the end of the month.

Vinne
01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Dano440,
They are 1/2 inch. I don't think it worth while fighting a sheet of plywood to cut a few blocks when Lee sells them pre cut with one already drilled for any Lee press they make!!

Anyway, I use the time for casting.

dano440
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
looks like I see a lot of good ideas. now I just hope I have the ability to implement one with my skill level.

thanks everyone for sharing your pictures and ideas.

W.R.Buchanan
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
dano: I mount all of my "non everyday equipment" on aluminum plates, and the concept is similar to the Lee and Pat Marlin concepts, in that you remove the units and store them in a separate place so as to keep your bench and workspace un cluttered.

I have both of my Dillon SDB's mounted this way as well as my Pacific DL266, 366 and soon my Spolar. The machines don't get used but every so often so they are best kept clean by storing them under plastic bags in a storage room. I bring them out and clamp them to the bench top when needed, then back to storage when done. Otherwise they just would take up valuable bench space, which no matter how much you have will always be filled up. You spend all your time moving stuff around to make room for what you need to work on at that time.

You could do the same thing with pieces of 3/4" plywood with each of your MEC's mounted individually, and then stored in your cabinets.

I usually hang a trash bag over my machines when not in use to keep dirt off them. It is a cheap and effective way to keep your stuff looking new.

I have my Rockchucker, Lyman 450 and C&H press permanently mounted to the bench top as I use these tools frequently. Even so, they get covered with a trash bag when not in use.

When you have limited space, you must come up with "modular ways" to use that space. You're on the right track and you will refine what you are doing as you progress.

That's one of the cool things about the reloading hobby, there is no one way to do anything. There are many ways. Finding out which ways work the best for you is half the fun.

Randyhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_182084f0e1a863e2df.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3410)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_182084f0e1ae866aa9.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3411)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_182084f0e1b05d030d.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3412)

Elkins45
01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
how thick are the blocks???

Here's a picture of mine, modified with an "indexing hole" drilled through the block, plate and bench so I can use a screwdriver as a retention pin.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/DSC_4799.jpg

Had I known about the Pat Marlins system I would have bought it instead...it's much more elegant.

dano440
01-20-2012, 07:37 PM
I like Hunter64's idea this is just temporary until I get some metal for mine

it don't look like I have done much in the last week or two

pmeisel
01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
I built a bench based on the Wiley Clapp article (3/4" plywood double top) back in the late 80s. I still use it and it works pretty good -- but I need a little more space now. Instead of building another I am going to add PatMarlins system to a bench I have.

However, if you like carpentry and being different, I would encourage you to build the double top design, it will impress your friends.

PatMarlin
01-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Great setups all...!

I'm like you now Randy, finally getting my reloading bench set up in the machine shop. I need GT-75 though.. :mrgreen:

That flush mounting is very cool James... You know if you need a lube heater, all you have to do is set some AL plate or my lube shelf plate on the back side of your mount and set an iron on it.

Pat... :drinks:

ROGER4314
01-21-2013, 02:49 AM
I cut a number of rectangles out of plywood and mounted each different press or prep unit to it. Each is drilled for a common bolt pattern in my bench so I can mount or remove any equipment with bolts and wing nuts. I also use a movable bench and mount equipment on all four sides. When I need a certain press, I turn the table to access that press. That gives me 4 times the table area for the same floorspace.

Flash

ROGER4314
01-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Hey Hunter,

I noticed that the older RCBS press is looking a bit tired. I have an old Rock Chucker that was looking pretty rough so I took it apart, painted the frame with Wally World cheap stuff "Kelly Green" which is a perfect match for the new, gloss RCBS color (Not the pale green color). When I reassembled it, I greased everything and it looks and runs like a new one!

Flash

cc676
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
I am a new reloader so, I had a friend that builds cabinets and etc.... draw a design for me. I wanted to get the biggest bang for the cheapest buck. I cased out a 4 foot long-27in deep table top with 2x4's with 3 quarter inch plywood. I put two support braces directly under my MECH and LEE reloaders. I had to pre-drill the facing 2x4 and use some long bolts but, have no flex what so ever in the table. I can send a pic or two if you want.

pacomdiver
02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
all my presses , swagers and primers are mounted to 12 x12 sheets of 3/4 plywood and screwed down with sheetrock screws in 6 spots to the bench when i need them, run the screws out and change to another press

jmorris
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't change them out much some never have moved but I used common bolt patterns drilled and tapped into the table top like some of the above.

The pad on some are a little larger, like this one so I can mount it to almost any surface with a clamp, not all of my reloading is done in my reloading room.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/DSC02166.jpg

The only presses that are not on universal bolt pattern mounts are the SD (just swap them out in the same spot) and the 1050 (it loads my match ammo every week).

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/IMAG1210.jpg

You can see how the oversized plate on the turret press mounts in the same spot that the 366's mount. Another nice thing about the big plate is that the powder measure moves with the press.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
02-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Jim: Where do I get a "roll sizer?"

Randy

jmorris
02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
The ones I have came from here. http://www.casepro100.com/

kmrra
01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
I have a dedicated building that I moved in and finished the inside they way I wanted it very satisified with it , I have 2 presses mounted on two different benches , I used Lees Bench Plate
http://leeprecision.com/images/T/xctmps9McXy.png they re rock solid and if you want to get the press out of the way its fast and easy

6bg6ga
02-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Each reloading press and each Star sizer lubricator I have has it own 1/2" thick aluminum plate which the press or sizer is bolted to. When needed I simply take the plate I need with the unit I wish to use and simply C-clamped to the bench of my choice when I wish to use them. When not in use they store easily on a shelf out of sight and out of mind. It generally costs $15-17 for each plate that I purchase from a scrap dealer.

6bg6ga
02-01-2017, 09:08 AM
The ones I have came from here. http://www.casepro100.com/

Does the case pro come with the collator? Probably an extra.