PDA

View Full Version : First aid with mold lube.

slide
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
You guys are going to think I am nuts,no thinking too it I am. Yesterday I was casting with my new Mihec 45 mold. After fluxing my metal for some reason I set my dross spoon on the pot,I guess I was going to spoon it again. I wear safety glasses,full face sheild,army jacket,heavy gloves. I had pulled my left glove off to scratch my nose. Then for some reason I reached down and picked up that spoon. It was HOT!!!. Burnt my thumb and index finger real good. You have got to stay focused, You guys know how a burn hurts,even a small one. Went inside and tried cold water,burn ointment. It didn't help. Went ahead and finished casting. I had lubed some parts of my mold with a q-tip. I picked it up and rubbed it on the burn. In about five minutes it had stopped hurting and the next day(today) it doesn't bother me at all. Yeah,I know there are some of you saying this guy is nuts. I can remember when I was a boy my Granny making me soak my foot in kerosense so we wouldn't get the lockjaw. See would put snuff on insect bites. She was a dipper. I can still remember walking to town to get her snuff for her. Garrett was her brand. Got off track there. Has anybody tried this before? I'm sure this is bullplate.

Mooseman
12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I will tell you that the very best burn ointment is HONEY !
I accidently backed into a fresh weld wearing a cotton shirt and caught myself on fire. I burned the left side of my back about 8" x 11" with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. My Gf put honey on my back and wrapped me with saran wrap and taped it in place. In just a while the pain went away and i was able to sleep laying on my back that night. Every day it was redone with fresh honey.
Because Honey on a wound forms Hydrogen peroxide, I never got an infection and after it all healed other than a small discolored area smaller than a quarter on my back, you cannot tell I was severely burned.
For hand burns i put honey on and then a latex glove with tape around the wrist.

Bullet Caster
12-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Mooseman, where did you pick up that trick? I've never heard of putting honey on anything except bisquits and bread. How long were you in pain? You stated it went away in just a while. Next time I get burned I will try this to see if it works.

Slide, you've got to be thinking when you are casting. I cover up just about like you do and have never been burnt as I always put my gloves back on after scratching. Maybe you should put an insulated handle on your spoon. My skimmer spoon has a black plastic handle which hasn't melted off as of yet. Probably will after more casting, but I will then make a wooden handle for it for "just in case" I forget to put my glove back on. BC

randyrat
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Honey is natural sugar, kills bacteria and works great on small wounds. Just don't put any kind of petroleum on any kind of open wound, infection will occur.

MikeS
12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I think there's more in honey than just natural sugar. I think there are some natural antibiotics as well. In a couple of the local greek diners they have placemats that advertise a product called BeeCaps, and it lists all the ingredients in honey that are beneficial. I believe one of them is propolis (sp?) which is the natural antibiotic, or something like that.

noylj
12-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Quote: Slide, you've got to be thinking when you are casting. I cover up just about like you do and have never been burnt as I always put my gloves back on after scratching.

I think the "problem" is that you feel so well protected that you forget the danger.
Don't wear gloves so your hands (and your brain) KNOW there is HOT stuff to worry about.

Mooseman
12-30-2011, 06:35 AM
The pain was gone in less than 2 hours...like i said , i slept laying on it and had no pain. It was amazing for an old time remedy !
there is lots on the internet about it as burn treatment.Better than even aloe plant!

gwpercle
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Honey is good but aleovera is better. Not the stuff you buy in drug store, but the juice squeezed from plants leaf. It grows just about anywhere. We keep a small pot growing on the kitchen window sill. When I burn myself I cut a section of leaf long enough to cover burn then split the leaf and open it like a little book, exposing the flesh and juice of the leaf , then place it on burn, rub around gently to cover burn with the gel like plant juice . If it is a bad burn, leave the aloevera in place and wrap with guaze to hold in place. usually left on overnight does the trick- no blistering or scarring it just heals up. It may not be great for really big burns but it works on smaller ones.

Has anyone else tried the alevera burn cure ? Did it work for you ?

Artful
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Aleo Vera used as sunburn cream - never tried it on any other kind of burn - works well
Honey is antibiotic compound
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm

Ancients used beer, garlic, Onions and Honey as medicinal treatments over 1400 years ago.

The ancient Egyptians and Jordanians used beer to treat gum disease and other illnesses, Armelagos says, and the complex art of fermenting antibiotics was probably widespread in ancient times and handed down through generations.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010/09/02/Evidence-of-ancient-antibiotic-use-found/UPI-78691283469402/#ixzz1jMpZvP9C

mstarling
01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Am a knifemaker and work with hot metals. There is a tube of aleovera in the forge area, the main shop and the knife shop.

Is really good for the small burns one encounters working hot metals.

oldgeezershooter
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I had a kid working for me and he helped put a compressor in the truck and got a nasty burn from the muffler. That night we were eating in a small Italian restaurant and he was holding ice on the burn when a little elderly women came out from the kitchen with a bowl and said"No Ice! Use this.)
She dabbed it on the burn and it stopped hurting almost immediatly, the next day it was scabbed over and painless.(The bowl contained egg whites.)
Also if you get a scrape that removes the top layer of skin sprinkle it with black pepper.

geargnasher
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I use Felix lube sometimes for lip balm, does that count?
:redneck:
Gear

fredj338
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
When I burn myself badly enough to need atention, ice the burn first. You want to stop the heat as fast as possible. No ointmentment just ice. I have found nothing better for stopping the burn process & healing faster. Aloe works as an after cream to promote healing, so will VitE.

fishnbob
01-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Honey is good but aleovera is better. Not the stuff you buy in drug store, but the juice squeezed from plants leaf. It grows just about anywhere. We keep a small pot growing on the kitchen window sill. Has anyone else tried the alevera burn cure ? Did it work for you ?

Darn right, we also have a plant growing in the window sill. I used it Saturday when I checked my soldering iron to see if it was hot.[smilie=w:

leadman
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't remember if it was on TV or in a magazine I was reading but the man said if you treat a wound with honey it won't get infected.
Honey does not spoil either.

Hate it when I only remember part of something!

mroliver77
01-14-2012, 12:42 AM
This sounds kinda fun even when your not burned! What a way to spend a rainy afternoon!
Jay

I will tell you that the very best burn ointment is HONEY !
I accidently backed into a fresh weld wearing a cotton shirt and caught myself on fire. I burned the left side of my back about 8" x 11" with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. My Gf put honey on my back and wrapped me with saran wrap and taped it in place. In just a while the pain went away and i was able to sleep laying on my back that night. Every day it was redone with fresh honey.
Because Honey on a wound forms Hydrogen peroxide, I never got an infection and after it all healed other than a small discolored area smaller than a quarter on my back, you cannot tell I was severely burned.
For hand burns i put honey on and then a latex glove with tape around the wrist.

Aloxite
01-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Interesting thread. I have to agree with the Aloe Vera. I had a plant I got from an old girlfriend for years and I used it often for burns. There are several different types and this one worked very well. I've been meaning to get together with the parents of the ex-girlfriend. Maybe I can pick up a start to grow a new one. We've kept pretty close over the years. Last I heard her father had picked up a 45-70. I need to get out to see them and do a bit of shooting. This whole work thing keeps getting in the way of all of the important things I need to do.

I like the honey idea. I'd read about using sugar on bad wounds to keep them from going septic. Honey adds some extra benefits and it is already a gel. I might just give that a try.

pastorcurtis
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
The last time I burned myself it was while cooking macaroni and cheese. . . stupid. A small price to pay to remember to stay alert when I next heated up the smelting pot...

Pigwacker
01-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Also if you get a scrape that removes the top layer of skin sprinkle it with black pepper.

Reminds me of making jerky, is the pepper used to keep the flies off? :) I'd have a hard time trying to keep from chewing on it!

Back to serious... Burns - 1) cold water/ice for a couple hours to get the heat out and stop the deep tissue burn. 2) Vitamin E or Aloe Vera until it heals up. We have an Aloe plant and just slice off a stalk, peal it, then rub the slimy stuff on and let it dry.

We use the Aloe on sunburn all the time. If you grow your own just remember to bring it inside during the winter or frost period.

Hang Fire
01-23-2012, 01:38 AM
As bacteria cannot grow in the presence of honey, it is great for all types of wounds.

a.squibload
01-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Dangit, I forgot about honey, my last burn wasn't that bad but
took a week to start healing good, using that silver stuff and anti-b's.

When a leaf breaks off the aloe vera, stick it in the icebox. Lasts a long time
and feels good on a burn.
Dang cats get in the pot and break off a leaf now and then...