PDA

View Full Version : Lee Neck Size die and Co Ax press

milprileb
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Background: Following the Lee instructions for the Neck Size die , one screws in the die to hit shell holder and then lowers ram, screws it in 3 more turns and locks it down. This has the ram forcing case up into die to collet size the neck with a lot of power. I called Lee this week and confirmed they meant this is the correct way to use this die and they said yes.

That works just fine in my Rock Chucker but I worry about those floating jaws on my Co Ax which is the shell holder on that press. Will they sustain this kind of force if I use a Lee collet neck size die on that press.

Forster told me yesterday they see no issue using the Lee die on the Co Ax. No damage should happen to the jaw type shell holder.

Hmmmmm, maybe I use more force on the handles of presses for NS collet dies. I have zero concern using the Rock Chucker but cranking down hard on that handle on the Co Ax is a lot of pressure on the shell holder jaws with the Lee collet neck size die.

My gut tells me this is not a good idea. Anyone here do it with success ?

I won't do case forming on my Co Ax either as I perceive the Rock Chucker design is more robust and can take the pressures with no issues or damage.

Your thoughts on this please.

flashhole
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
You're going to upset a lot of Co-Ax fans saying the RC is a more robust press. I sold my Co-Ax in favor of a Redding Ultramag and never regretted it. Can't help you with your collet die question but I seem to recall the case rested on top of metal plates when the jaws grabbed it for use. Don't recal if the plate moves with the jaws or not.

milprileb
12-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Don't have a Redding Ultramag but if I did and it was more robust than my Rock Chucker, I would say it. I own Co Ax and RC and I think the RC is more robust for case forming. I don't bullet swage so I can't say one is or is not better. My gut says RC would be but that is speculation.

However the focus of the thread is if damage can be done to Co Ax jaws with Lee collet Neck Size die and I am seeking others input on this.

.357MAN
12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't have a Co Axe, I have a Lee Classic Cast and I put 34 Ib. of weight on the handle to size my cases, and I have polished my Lee neck sizing die collet pieces and greased them. My Lee press can handle 45 Ib. before it exceeds the lubricity of the grease I put on the ram and pivot points. I would imagine that other calibers could require more pressure to size the case, but from what I hear of the Co Axe I would think that it would handle it without a problem.

.357MAN

milprileb
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Anyone want to comment on damage to Co Ax jaw shell holders by Neck Size die... that is what I need to know about. I don't need to break this press although parts for shell holders are available.

Blind Eye
12-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I do all of my rifle reloading on my co ax. I neck size only using lee dies. I have not broken anything as of yet. I even convert 3006 brass into 8mm on it. Run with it and see what happens. My press is from the 1980`s and I see no negative effects on it.

milprileb
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Great feedback. Nothing like hearing substance vs. theory!!!!!

I will drive on with the Co Ax and see how it all shakes out.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Rick459
12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEas38vkKg

1hole
12-29-2011, 11:32 PM
"Forster told me yesterday they see no issue using the Lee die on the Co Ax. No damage should happen to the jaw type shell holder."

Who you gonna believe, me ... or the people who make the press?

Trying to 'adjust' any die by a formula is doomed to disappointment, IMHO; adjust the die so it does what needs to be done.

dromia
12-30-2011, 03:55 AM
I regularly use the Lee Collet dies in my Co-Ax with no damage to the shellholder jaws.

If you are still concerned then forster sell a doofur that you can fit to the Co-Ax to allow you to use ordinary shellholders.

flashhole
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
doofurs are my favorite kind of tools, I have several on the reloading bench from all manufacturers ... Lee doofurs ... Redding doofurs ... Forster doofurs ... RCBS doofurs ... Lyman doofurs ... I've even made a few doofurs of my own ... couldn't work without em. :)

milprileb
12-30-2011, 10:24 AM
1 hole: I am asking opinions and got some good feed back.

Not sure if you gave a opinion or object to my asking the question.

Its a discussion forum so I choose to ask and appreciate the informed answers.

Bret4207
12-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Well, 1 hole is right. Sometimes the factory instructions aren't adequate to cover what you need done. So he's right that you have to adjust the dies to do what is required. Don;t take it as criticism, it's just something you figure out over time.

I own and love a Co-Ax. Never had a problem with running out of strength or damaging it. I have other presses I also use for case forming, etc.

milprileb
12-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Thank you Bret, that is good info I can use.